You are not logged in.

#1 24-04-05 09:32:20

ck
Website

Smelly washer bottle

I have always use a screen wash additive but recently bought an own brand from Halfords and ever since I've had an awfull smell coming from the resulting fluid it smells like tcp (thats tom cat pee).I have emptied the bottle and put clean water in and used a different additive but the smell is still there any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
(When I say I emptied the bottle I did not remove the bottle I just used the windscreen washer to use up all the fluid ,I have a Focus and don't even know how to get to bottle as its under the wing). :?  :?:

ck

24-04-05 09:32:20

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Smelly washer bottle

#2 25-04-05 00:38:34

simonmd

Most washer bottles still have some left even when the washers run dry due to the pumps generaly being in the side of it. Best thing I can think of is get a garden hose and leave it running in the bottle so it over flows for a few minutes. This should dilute any remaining old fluid. Failing that, stop sniffing your washers, it is a bit odd!  wink

#3 25-04-05 23:24:00

Mmm

hmm im not surprised IMHO anything bought from halfrauds is likely to be competely.. er poor. Apart from their "professional" range of tools which are fine. Id use a local independent factors every time! at halfords you try to buy anything and its like "duh, what's a car?" or "er, yeah mate thats £80 for that shiny gearknob", or "yeah these alloy wheels will make your car smell nicer".
sorry rant over!
good luck with the smell anyway, probably necessary to run it right down,, fill it and repeat a few times. just try not to use the washers too continuously, i dont think youre usually supposed to activate them for more than 5 secs!

#4 26-04-05 13:57:35

ck
Website

Thanks, I don't actually sniff the jets the smell permiates the car even without using the washers but when you do use them the niff is quite strong.
I'm going to to fill it with plain water a few times see if that dilutes it,I did think of trying to flush it out with some kind of detergent but I don't know what to use,don't want to use anything too strong incase it corrodes the tubes.
Anyone else got a clue

ck

#5 26-04-05 14:06:54

flash22

hi ck dont put any detergent in ya water bottle esp washing up liquid as it can clog up the pump and washer jets go and get you self some proper screen wash and flush it with that it should clear that nasty niff

#6 26-04-05 20:19:06

Rob
Verified Member
Website

Are you sure it is the screenwash and not the Air-con (if you have it) or ventilation system and the problem just happens to coincide with the screenwash you used.

Just a thought.

#7 27-04-05 08:47:11

ck
Website

Thanks for the tips I have tried some different screen wash but has'nt cured it will try and flush it with more screen wash.
It is deffinately the screen wash when I open the filler the odour is most obvious.

Board footer