You are not logged in.

#1 12-03-10 09:43:54

triplea35

Part 2 Success.

Well, as my updated signature suggests I took and passed my Part 2 yesterday, first attempt but with three faults.
I had managed to get myself pretty worked up about it and was worried that nerves would ruin any chance of success. I had originally booked it for Monday 8th March but with concerns re the examiners on strike I decided to rebook it and got the next available slot, which was an 8.45am slot yesterday.
Monday came and went and I was quite relieved I had postponed it. Fortunately a last practice drive seemed to go quite well and boosted my confidence a lot. Still didn't get good nights sleep though.
By the time I had gone through the initial paperwork, the eyesight test and the show/me tell me questions and a few pleasantries from the examiner to put me at ease I felt a lot better and ready for the drive.
Being an early start and a really nice sunny day (for a change) the sun was low in the sky so had to make good use of the sun visors. The route was 'loosely' based on one of the published routes but there were a few considerable deviations to it. It seemed to help by thinking 'why have you brought me along here'.
The first deviation took me into a temporary 'when lights flash' 20mph zone which seemed to go on for an eternity as it passed two schools some distance apart . As these zones don't usually have an end of restriction sign I kept at 20 until what appeared to be the back of the sign for vehicles traveling in the opposite direction, confirmed that it was in my mirror, before returning to 30mph. The deviation also took me up to a roundabout junction with a very busy 50mph dual carriageway with the last of the rush hour traffic coming from my right so took a bit of time and patience before the opportunity arose to emerge right onto the roundabout.
The other deviations seemed to be mainly for driving on estates with unmarked junctions and for the maneuvers which included both an uphill and downhill start.
          The three faults were for:

1. Reverse Left: Observation.  Examiner said I had used my mirrors and generally good observations but had not done a physical (over the right  shoulder?) blind spot check until after the front  the front of the car had started to swing out  for the turn.  I fully accept that though I didn’t realize at the time I had committed this fault.

The other two faults I realized I had done them as they occurred:

2. Move Off: Control. I had approached a busy roundabout on a 70mph dual carriageway in 5th gear. No opportunity to change down and continue so came to a halt in 5th. Thought I had selected 1st!! and just started to clutch up and move away and realized it was in 3rd. A swift change to 1st with an ‘oops – sorry about that’ and I continued onto the roundabout. In debrief examiner acknowledged that I realized and corrected the error very quickly and that if it had been the difference between six and seven faults he might have used a little discretion.

3 Positioning: Normal Driving.  Same roundabout as above. Had to leave right 3rd exit back onto the 70mph dual carriageway. I had to exit the roundabout onto the dual carriageway in the outer lane as there was another vehicle on my inside as I exited. I stayed in the outer lane as I accelerated up to 70 mph with a clear road ahead. There is another roundabout a short distance ahead (but it was actually further  than I thought) and I knew with absolute certainty that we would be turning right so I remained in the outside lane. I knew I should have moved over to the inner lane and there was an uncomfortable ‘pause’ in the vehicle until the examiner confirmed ‘at the next roundabout I want you to take the 2nd exit right’ etc. I’m sure he held back giving the instruction a little to make me squirm!! Anyway I knew I was in the wrong and it was a case of  knowing the route and trying to preempt the examiner is not a good idea.       

Anyway a pass is a pass and I’m well chuffed and looking forward to starting on Part 3.

Hope someone gets something out of my write up as I certainly have enjoyed reading others and feel I have benefited from them.

For anyone taking Part 2 the best advice I’ve read on here and tried to adhere to is to
practice, practice and practice and to drive at all times as you would on test so that it becomes ‘natural’.

HTH.   

12-03-10 09:43:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 2 Success.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 12-03-10 11:31:36

bogof

For anyone taking Part 2 the best advice I’ve read on here and tried to adhere to is to
practice, practice and practice and to drive at all times as you would on test so that it becomes ‘natural’.

I'll be at the same stage in a few weeks, hopefully, so your comments are helpful, thanks for posting.

At the moment I'm spending as much time as possible driving the DSA way, and as you say it is now starting to become "natural".

==> If everything had a point, Chavs wouldn't exist <==
--> Too Much Effort, Too Little Reward <--

#3 12-03-10 13:18:35

Luchell
Verified Member

Congratulations on passing part 2  smile smile

#4 12-03-10 13:41:19

triplea35

Thanks Luchell and good luck Bogof big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 15-03-10 19:26:04

KevB
Verified Member
Website

3 Positioning: Normal Driving.   I stayed in the outer lane as I accelerated up to 70 mph with a clear road ahead. There is another roundabout a short distance ahead (but it was actually further  than I thought) and I knew with absolute certainty that we would be turning right so I remained in the outside lane. I knew I should have moved over to the inner lane and there was an uncomfortable &#145;pause&#146; in the vehicle until the examiner confirmed &#145;at the next roundabout I want you to take the 2nd exit right&#146; etc. I&#146;m sure he held back giving the instruction a little to make me squirm!! Anyway I knew I was in the wrong and it was a case of  knowing the route and trying to preempt the examiner is not a good idea.

If I were the SE, I'd have gone off route, and instructed to take 1st or 2nd exits, to see how you dealt with having to do the correction to your lane discipline.

Seems to me you learnt/were trained for the route.

I know of several DE's that will take L test candidates from certain ADI's off route if they suspect the candidate is already planning a turn, before an instruction has been given. Chingford TC examiners will swap and change the route as they see fit, which is easy for them to do as so many of the routes cross each other or share junctions.

#6 15-03-10 21:21:11

triplea35

As I said in my original post Kevin, 

The route was 'loosely' based on one of the published routes but there were a few considerable deviations to it.

Right was 2nd exit at that particular roundabout and of course he could have got me to go straight on or do a recip but it was unlikely.
I will admit that I did go round each of the routes once prior to the test. They are openly published, as are the examiners guidance notes, so yes I made full use of all available resources. I was quite familiar with the roads anyway but it was worth a 'recce' with the test in mind.
As for being trained for the routes, its a no, I only had three lessons for Part 2 and there wouldnt have been time! smile     

#7 15-03-10 21:32:03

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Good result for only having 3 lessons!! Well done you.  smile

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

#8 16-03-10 00:02:20

triplea35

Thanks Jlo31. Only 3 lessons but lots of reading - Driving essential Skills, Driving Instructors Handbook, Roadcraft etc together with this and similar forums.
I also did masses of practice driving which included hours of  unofficial 'tuition' and crticism from my 17 year old son who despite having only passed his test in November(and I taught him!) has developed to 'expert' in all matters driving big_smile. Oh what fun to get back in the passenger seat again!
And of course not forgetting an intense free weekend of Blaine ( I know I'm a tight wad!) but I am subscribing now for my Part 3. smile

Board footer