You are not logged in.

#1 26-04-05 19:56:09

Delta
Verified Member

clutch control VRS biting point

Been on a pink licence for 4 weeks now, my first part 3 attempt is end of June.

As a good little PDI I've been breifing my pupils as per the PSTs. However, I've recently discovered that my novice pupils are better at moving off if I deviate from 'the book' a little bit.

I've found that if they select first gear and then bring the clutch up without acceleration (as per clutch control technique) and then press the gas down as they move off, the chances of stalling are lower than if they set the gas before finding biting point.

Is it OK to teach this way? If it is wrong then why is it wrong? Would they fail their test for it? Would I fail my test for it?

So many questions- lucky there are so many experienced ADIs to answer!

wink

26-04-05 19:56:09

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: clutch control VRS biting point

#2 26-04-05 20:09:45

Rob
Verified Member
Website

Remember every pupil is different what works for one wont for another.

If a pupil does'nt drive like "the book" says they are not necessarily wrong they are just not using what is considered the best method.

#3 26-04-05 21:31:09

Alibran

I'm not an ADI or even on a pink licence yet, but I did give a free lesson to a complete beginner at the weekend, and it seemed to work very well.

Since she was extremely nervous, I decided to break everything down into very small, simple steps.  The first time she moved off, I just asked her to find the bite point (which she'd already practiced) and move off without acceleration, then let the car move forward under its own power for a few metres before stopping again.  After a few practices at that, I got her to use the gas to increase speed once the car had started moving.  Did that a few times, and once she was comfortable with that, I introduced setting the gas.  She didn't stall once on moving off, and every time it was smooth and controlled, so I'm very happy with that method and will definitely use it again.

On my part 3 test, however, I will teach it "by the book"!!

#4 27-04-05 14:08:14

sunshine_gurly

hey!
im not an instructor or anything ... im still learning! but just thought id post my comment on this subject.

personally i think its way easier to find the bite then press the gas ... that way works for most i think as all my friends have been taught the exact same way.

but i guess its what works for the individual  smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 03-06-08 23:13:46

purrfectsystems
Verified Member
Website

Great advice guys

I use this and rarely get a stall

ALWAYS find the bite point first, then seperate the rest into 3 parts....

1-Set the gas

2-release the handbrake (if it's on)

3-one pound coin pressure off the clutch

pupils get used to me saying.......gas....release....pound coin

if they stick to this 1-2-3 rigidly they soon become very confident in moving off

At traffic lights tell pupils that the amber light is also the 'set your gas light'

works great

#6 18-06-08 20:22:03

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

i had  this trouble today from 1 of  my pupil

i might try it deltas way

x emma x
part 1 ..  passed ..dec 07
part 2 ... passed 31st march ....2 faults 
part 3 ...  on the pink [june]

#7 19-06-08 20:24:13

ExAdiNigel

I would be extremely careful about mentioning 'gas' and 'release' too close together.  Could cause a bit of a stink.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#8 22-06-08 21:14:10

Luchell
Verified Member

What was causing the problem Emma? Was the pupil stalling when trying to move off or was it something else?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 02-07-08 22:27:56

HereComesTrouble

I would be extremely careful about mentioning 'gas' and 'release' too close together.  Could cause a bit of a stink.

Nigel

That was below the belt! smile

No 'brownie' points for that one Nigel!

SULPHOR - so good huh?

Board footer