You are not logged in.

#1 11-03-10 00:13:26

dog
Verified Member

Learning to drive in central London

This isn't a request for an instructor, it's more of a "how the hell is it possible?" post. After driving for the first time in central London last month I hope to god I never have to do it again. Living in a small city (Plymouth) I have never seen such motoring chaos in my life. There is zero lane discipline, nobody indicates, everyone is constantly blasting their horns. Cars cutting across 3/4/5 lanes at roundabouts, people driving through lights even after they have gone red. Not to mention the taxi's, vans etc which just pull U turns in the middle of busy multiple lane roads!

I'm honestly surprised I came back with no damage to my car, and I have a lot of respect for the people who are brave enough to ride motorcycles or even push bikes on the roads of central London.

It's no surprise I only saw 2 instructor cars in the 2 days I was there, amongst the sea of luxury saloons and Toyota Prius'.

How can you possibly learn to drive in such a place?

11-03-10 00:13:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Learning to drive in central London

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 11-03-10 06:47:13

la.monikita
Verified Member

Was that on a weekend? Normally people just sit waiting in traffic tongue It's called the rat race I think. It's fun riding a motorbike filtering, need to anticipate who's changing lanes without looking tho tongue

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#3 11-03-10 07:03:43

ExAdiNigel

I used to cycle from Paddington to Canary Wharf on occasion.  I was never in a position where I was fearful for my life.  i would rather cycle than drive!

I rarely drive in London, I would rather drive to Hammersmith and then buy a tube ticket for the day - much more relaxing!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 11-03-10 09:58:41

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

...Living in a small city (Plymouth) I have never seen such motoring chaos in my life. There is zero lane discipline...

Plymouth a SMALL city?  tongue
Not small to me (I see from Wikipedia that Plymouth's population is 250,000+).
To me that's big.
This is what Wikipedia has to say about my home "city" Darwin: "...Darwin has a population of 120,652 making it by far the largest and most populated city in the sparsely populated Northern Territory, but the least populous of all Australia's capital cities."
So I would probably regard driving in Plymouth the same way you regard driving in London city.
I can't imagine myself doing a driving lesson in London but obviously some ADis are willing to do it - they are probably Londoners to begin with.

BTW I often read about "lane discipline" on these forums but I haven't heard that term used down here and I'm not sure what it really means.
Does it describe choice of lane to use, or position in lane, or appropriate spped in regard to general traffic flow or poor lane-changing techniques, that sort of thing?
Or is it a combination?

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#5 11-03-10 14:36:02

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Lane discipline is being in the correct lane for your intended route, and not drifting across lane markings uneccassarily.
Faults in lane discipiline might include going ahead in a lane marked as left turn only,
using an overtaking lane as the normal driving lane. (Here we should keep to the left lane unless overtaking, or signs/markings say otherwise).

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 11-03-10 14:49:03

dog
Verified Member

dog wrote:

...Living in a small city (Plymouth) I have never seen such motoring chaos in my life. There is zero lane discipline...

Plymouth a SMALL city?  tongue
Not small to me (I see from Wikipedia that Plymouth's population is 250,000+).
To me that's big.
This is what Wikipedia has to say about my home "city" Darwin: "...Darwin has a population of 120,652 making it by far the largest and most populated city in the sparsely populated Northern Territory, but the least populous of all Australia's capital cities."
So I would probably regard driving in Plymouth the same way you regard driving in London city.
I can't imagine myself doing a driving lesson in London but obviously some ADis are willing to do it - they are probably Londoners to begin with.

BTW I often read about "lane discipline" on these forums but I haven't heard that term used down here and I'm not sure what it really means.
Does it describe choice of lane to use, or position in lane, or appropriate spped in regard to general traffic flow or poor lane-changing techniques, that sort of thing?
Or is it a combination?

Plymouth is pretty small in comparison with London, which has a population of 7.5 million as opposed to our puny 250,000. In terms of the largest UK cities by population, Plymouth is down in 19th place.

By lane discipline I mean obeying the white lines on the road, nobody seems to do it lol roundabouts are the worst, people just drive in any lane regardless of where they plan to exit, you regularly see people crossing 4/5/6 lanes at a time because they are turning left from the right-most lane, all this whilst crossing in front of other moving traffic with no indicators!

In fact I have some video, let me upload it.

#7 11-03-10 14:52:14

dog
Verified Member

It's also vastly different in terms of the traffic itself too, I can see why people with any sense that work or live in central London don't bother to drive unless they are earning seven figures. I remember we walked along the side of a road from one tube station at covent garden* to another one nearby, and we were actually moving faster than the traffic on the road at all times...

* if you ever visit here, you'll notice the sign at the station which advises you to use the lifts to get back to street level. We didn't realise how serious it was and we ignored it and took the stairs. Big mistake.

#8 11-03-10 22:08:06

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

...(Here we should keep to the left lane unless overtaking, or signs/markings say otherwise).

We have a similar rule here, and the rule also applies to roads with a limit over 80 km/h (50 mph) regardless of signage (I'm thinking of starting a thread on this subject).

What was the problem in taking the stairs, dog?

If I ever plan a trip to London (I can barely afford a trip to my local corner store at the moment), I'll plan on taking public transport.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#9 12-03-10 01:30:18

Adi1234

I have driven in London a few times. And have found it stressful it is what you get with being in a city where most people are in a hurry. I am glad I don`t teach pupils there because it is a completely different test to being anywhere else I think. I would imagine the DE would expect as soon as the traffic light goes green for the car to be moving. And also would imagine the driving would have to be focused more on making progress than anything else. e.g getting through traffic lights if you  possibly can. I am making assumptions about London driving But if I taught people in London I would teach them to have no hesitancy and to really get through traffic lights if possible.

#10 12-03-10 03:25:59

dog
Verified Member

What was the problem in taking the stairs, dog?

The station is 15 stories below ground, the staircase to get out has 193 steps. There are two big elevators which are supposed to take 50 people at a time...if you ever end up there, I would suggest using them.

Board footer