You are not logged in.

#1 06-03-10 20:27:36

bellydancer

taxi drivers !!

Am a new driver, before passing test, had always been travelling by bus.
My indignant post is what is it with some taxi drivers??
This morning, the lights turned amber as I got to the line, so I braked hard and stopped in time. (well taught, as all ADI can see  tongue
The taxi behind me flew right past me after I had braked - so he shot through the lights after they turned red and there were pedestrians waiting to cross. If he hadn't changed lane before speeding through, he would had slammed right into me!! :x

This afternoon, in a crowded rd and it narrowed into a single car lane. I noticed a taxi behind me trying to edge in ,but as i was in front and it was tight, I had right of way and couldnt give way even if i wanted to.
rd then split into 2 lanes and i chose the right lane (was going to turn right). Heard loud and long blast of horn from behind, assumed it came from that taxi I was watching.
But according to my passenger, it was from ANOTHER taxi behind me to my left, who was speeding and trying to get me out of his way.
I was sure I was driving correctly (and passenger concurred too).
That unnerved me as it was crowded and it isnt as if there is anything else I could do, so what good will sounding the horn non stop at me do ??

every driver i know dislike taxi drivers which i thought was not fair but now i see one, i develop the start of road rage as self defense!! 8-)

another gripe drivers have is drivers from other EU countries who don't follow the rules and drive dangerously. I agree as have seen and experienced some cases but at least they don't blast their horns non stop! 

what is it with (some? most? )taxi drivers and do other people have the same experience too ? and i have also noticed that they are the least likely to give a wave to say thank you when you give way to them!

06-03-10 20:27:36

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: taxi drivers !!

#2 06-03-10 20:34:45

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

maybe dealing with taxi drivers should be included as part of the test  tongue

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#3 06-03-10 21:13:18

Angel
Verified Member
Website

You wouldn't think taxi drivers had taken an extra test to do their job would you? They drive to their own set of rules as do van drivers. Its even more scary being in a taxi as they never seem to stay anywhere near the speed limit.

As for foreign drivers, I have taken several to test and they have all passed but why should a foreign candidate be allowed to drive off on their own after failing a test here? If they are not able to meet our standards, they should be treated like learners and accompanied or kept off the road. 

I'm teetering on the brink-please push!!

ADI car and Fleet trainer

#4 06-03-10 21:56:51

bellydancer

Phil, that's a good idea  big_smile  or taxi drivers should have to do test including how to be nice to other drivers! tongue

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 07-03-10 06:57:49

Gizmotime
Administrator

or taxi drivers should have to do test including how to be nice to other drivers! tongue

Maybe others should do a test on how to cope with Taxi drivers wink

Giz

#6 07-03-10 08:36:10

bellydancer

Giz, am all for it  big_smile
That is the one where one tries to be as inconsiderate and aggressive as can be?  tongue

#7 07-03-10 09:51:55

Evan
Administrator

Maybe ''EVERYONE'' in this country should have to do a test every 5 years and display a reasonable competence at handling a ton of metal on 4 wheels, because the general standard of driving on the roads is disgusting. Maybe if this happened the clowns who don't use their indicators would remember what they are for.

#8 07-03-10 10:20:45

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

The problem with that is, I can think of a few instructors who would no longer be able to teach as they wouldn't pass the retest

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#9 07-03-10 10:55:58

Evan
Administrator

Well to be honest Phil if their driving is that bad they shouldn't be teaching. But I am noticing how bad the roads are getting, 3 serious crashes around here since November 3 young people killed, plus the number of near misses and stupid chances being taken by drivers of all ages.

If the Government is serious about doing something about the accidents then it really is time for tougher measures and a look at how we ALL drive. If it costs us money every 5 years so be it.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 07-03-10 14:29:52

ExAdiNigel

You wouldn't think taxi drivers had taken an extra test to do their job would you?....

A lot of them haven't

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#11 11-03-10 18:50:36

quickpass

I dont think taxi drivers are bad drivers, they are proffesional, just like bus drivers have to take a special test. At the end of the day how many taxi drivers do you see having accidents. Yes they do take a lot of chances i.e pull out in front of you(happened to me lots of times) but then the good drivers are the ones who anticipate what that car or in this case taxi is about to do.

#12 11-03-10 18:53:57

jonsmithuk
Verified Member

This morning, the lights turned amber as I got to the line, so I braked hard and stopped in time.

You had of course checked your mirrors and decelerated ( off the gas ) before the T.L. ?

#13 11-03-10 19:00:24

jonsmithuk
Verified Member

My best Taxi story was the guy that pulled up alongside us at a wide junction entering a very busy main rd. As its uphill too, had pupil prepare to move ( turning left ) in anticipation of approaching break in the traffic. As we moved the taxi turned left ( from the right hand lane ! ) with no signal and I just managed to stop my pupil hitting the cab and potentially killing his passenger. Less than a hundred yards later he stopped on the left to allow the passenger out. I politely enquired what he thought he was doing and met a stream of abusive language. When I phoned the council they refused to even log it against his name. Further more the woman I spoke to said she conducted taxi "tests" . Her qualification ? A driving license .....Police said " your word against his " They are fireproof !!

#14 11-03-10 23:00:40

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

... When I phoned the council they refused to even log it against his name. Further more the woman I spoke to said she conducted taxi "tests" . Her qualification ? A driving license .....Police said " your word against his " They are fireproof !!

My story down here is similar to yours, Jon but I think it's worse.
The Northern Territory is rightfully regarded as a "cowboy state" by many, incompetence & corruption in lots of areas - but especially in our taxis.

Waste of time reporting a taxi driver here, the Taxi Council has been taken over by a dodgy taxi operator and his brother is in charge of training/assessment.

I once did formal assessments for wannabe taxi drivers (I'm qualified) - applicants were tested in a cab provided by the company he wanted to work for - usually Toyota Camrys from the pool of standby cars.
I stopped doing it after this occasion...
After meeting the candidate in the smelly common room for drivers, we were shown to the freshly washed car by the company boss and I asked the candidate to do a pre-drive inspection.
We knew it'd been washed because it was dripping wet on a dry day, otherwise we never would have known.

The candidate a young Muslim man looking for his first job in Oz, tried his best to impress and instantly spotted a broken LHS side mirror and when he got behind the wheel he soon discovered that the RHS side mirror was stuck and couldn't be adjusted, luckily it was "almost correct".
The cab was very dusty (the company courtyard wasn't paved, grottiest place I'd ever seen) and we proceeded towards the long narrow lane to get onto the public road, I was impressed by the way my driver stopped to inspect the situation before entering the lane and lucky we did, a taxi came belting out of the lane into the courtyard at high speed in a cloud of dust and barely missed us. (recently I noticed they've finally put up some mirrors at the entrance to the lane).

Out onto the road and I was soon asking the driver to do a U-turn.
He carefully stopped, checked, signalled etc and went into the U-turn. After about 3/4 of a turn the steering wheel went clunk - it was at the end of its travel and we ended up at 90 degrees to the opposite kerb instead of alongside it.
Oh well lets do a 3-point turn instead!
On reversing out from the kerb, the steering wheel did a zillion turns to the left and the car nearly doubled up on itself.
The taxi company did it's own servicing, obviously it did it's own aligning as well.

That was a few years ago, I never went back.
Recently my colleague was asked if she & I would take up taxi training & assessing again, but we wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#15 12-03-10 06:34:19

ExAdiNigel

I dont think taxi drivers are bad drivers, they are proffesional, just like bus drivers have to take a special test.

Therein lies teh problem.  Bus drivers do have to take an extra test whereas taxi drivers do not.  Only some councils have taken up the DSA taxi test, others simply rely on someone with a licence to give a brief assessment.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#16 19-07-10 21:19:15

asroxx@yahoo.com
Website

There is 2 kind of drivers  the normal drivers and the taxi drivers.

#17 19-07-10 21:31:57

robinsamuels
Verified Member
Website

why should a foreign candidate be allowed to drive off on their own after failing a test here? If they are not able to meet our standards, they should be treated like learners and accompanied or kept off the road.

I was told by an SE that they aren't supposed to drive after failing a UK test, but that the examiners won't take any action if they see someone doing this.

When it gets to the stage of sadobestionecrophilia, give up: Otherwise known as flogging a dead horse!

http://www.robinsdriving.co.uk

#18 19-07-10 21:34:11

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

Like Nigel says, certain groups have to take extra training. Others don't.

As far as I am concerned. There's us ADIs and then there's everyone else. Some that have received extra training ignore rules in the same manner as many taxi drivers are seen to do.  ADIs included.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

Board footer