You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 21-04-04 12:12:22

bronach

Are there any unhappy Instrucotrs out there

:?:

Hi all

I've recently posted here asking various questions about becoming an Instructor and many of you have been very supportive and helpful.

I am still giving serious consideration to the idea of a career as an ADI and as it's a big step I need as much info from as many angles as possible.

Many seem to say how much they like the job BUT - are there any out there who dislike it and if so why? Does anyone know of others who have left the job for something completely different becuase they disliked the job?

any comments welcome .

Bronach

21-04-04 12:12:22

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Are there any unhappy Instrucotrs out there

#2 21-04-04 13:06:57

Badger

Hi Bronach,

Every single job in the world has its downsides and so does this profession.

Take a balance and see which wins  -   down or up.

For me the greatest plus is independence. I am completely independent having given up the franchise situation years ago. (There are those for whom a franshise is ideal - they may dislike the necessary admin that goes with the job or prefer to have their trainees found for them)

Do what I like when I like.  It does take time to get to that situation and the first few years are hard graft to establish your referral field.

The dowsides of the job generally as seen through my eyes.... 

Public attitude when everybody thinks they know better than you and that driving instructors are the same level as learners.  (This is a true but often unconscious perception by the great unwashed).

Continual threat of interference by the DSA who in my opinion are not qualified to interfere.

Test Centres - like dentists waiting rooms, are usually dingy with dirty bars of soap in the tiolets etc.  I find the whole Examiner thing depressing but sadly unavoidable.

Anything else that I dont like about the job I can usually change.  Timings, people I work with, places to work etc are all things that are not fixed in stone.

Just a few ideas for you to consider.  There will no doubt be others.

Badger

#3 21-04-04 14:34:53

bronach

Hi Badger

Yes indeed every job has its ups and downs. My feeling was also that independence is one of the greatest benefits about being an ADI, even with a franchise I get the impression you can be quite independent and 'be your own boss' - I like the sound of that.

It seems there is a great deal of flexibility also. I am someone who does not like the 9-5 clock in clock out mentality and I don't mind working a few evenings/weekends if it means I can chose to be free some other time.

The downsides you mention don't seem too harsh. On balance I believe I could cope with those attitudes , I've always given a lot of space and time for learner drivers - I remember all to well my first driving lessons in the packed streets of north London  :? As for public perception, well I dispair at the way most people drive already - my wife thinks I should be a traffic cop - I wouldn't go so far.

The Test Centre was ugly - almost as if they wantto put you off, but I imagine it is only a small part of the job ? How many hours out of a 40 hour week would you spend there ?

Thanks for your input.

Bronach

#4 22-04-04 21:11:33

Lynne
Verified Member

HI Bronach

I took redundancy from the Mon-Fri 9-5 thing and it's one of the best things I've ever done.

I love being my own boss, bookings mostly are different each day; I work about 2 long days incl.  late nights per week; Sat & Sun am but have Mondays off and 2 x ½ days per week (promised myself to have Mondays off so I wouldn't have to endure the 'Sunday evening ..work tomorrow' feeling!!!)

I vary my hours depending on the season.  I have a horse and it's great to work my diary around getting some daylight hours in during winter.

I left BSM due to massive franchise fees and went to the AA.  I buy pupils when I need them but am now getting mostly recommendations.  It works well for me as I only qualified last year and still feel I need some support (although these forums are also great for that I've since found out).

The downside:

No holiday/sick pay.  I should really work a few more hours  :? so it's tempting to hold back on getting a few more pupils cos I love my free time!

Would I go back to a regimented office and all that hierarchy and cr** that goes with it?  No way!

Good luck with your decision making.

Lynne lol

#5 23-04-04 19:51:03

johnexley
Verified Member
Website

I am thinking of going back to lorry driving as I would be financially better off although wouldn't have as much free time!

Regards, John.  :?

John Exley
A,B,BE,B1,C,CE,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p,h
http://www.johnexley.co.uk
http://www.towing-training.co.uk

#6 23-04-04 20:00:32

Liesa

Sorry to hear that John!

By the way how long have you been teaching?

We all from time to time, get fed up with the job, it's only natural and as they say "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!"

Whatever you decide good luck, and hang onto the badge for now.

How about going part time and doing a bit of trucking as well?

#7 23-04-04 20:18:26

jamiejungle1

lol hi all i love my job as an adi but at the tender age of 29 i think a life time of teaching just L drivers would drive me crackers. am very keen to diversify and would be gratefull for any of your experience and advice

jamiej

#8 23-04-04 21:15:59

johnexley
Verified Member
Website

Hi Liesa,

I've been teaching nearly six months on a trainee licence, taken my part 3 test twice and not had very encouraging feedback from the SE. I'm not going to be able to take my 3rd attempt at part 3 until after my trainee licence expires due to long waiting lists. I'm just thinking I might be better to cut my losses and go back to something where I know I'm going to get paid at the end of the week. It only takes a few people to cancel lessons due to illness and a franchise fee can soon leave you with very little profit.

Regards, John.  wink

John Exley
A,B,BE,B1,C,CE,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p,h
http://www.johnexley.co.uk
http://www.towing-training.co.uk

Board footer