You are not logged in.

#1 20-04-05 10:34:38

skip qualify
Verified Member

Part 3 Communication Skills Advice.

hi all

just started pt 3... and although my training materials adequately cover briefings, questions to ask the pupil and things to tell the pupil ( but not when ) it doesnt really give any insight on how to build your communication skills or developing fault analysis. so while i can now recite all my briefings like a parrot, i dont feel i am making any headway with the verbal skills. I'm sure this will come with time and practice, but at the moment it is difficult to teach confidently when not really sure how i'm supposed to be behaving. As far as i can see these are the most important parts of the exam and the briefings are relatively unimportant.

can anyone recommend any books or sites for this sort of thing ?

How do you other pt 3 newbies feel ?

cheers

20-04-05 10:34:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 3 Communication Skills Advice.

#2 20-04-05 10:50:38

Django

The simple answer is just be yourself. Talk to your pupils the way you would expect to be talked to. Try a few witty comments to make them relax but don't forget they want training not entertaining. Loads of encouragement and praise when things go right. Don't preach when things go wrong try to find something in what they done was positive. For instance if they cut a corner praise them on the fact that the speed was right or the timimg of the signal was spot on. Of course you need to highlight the corner cut but always find a positive.

Not much but hope this helps.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 20-04-05 15:50:55

jeni
Verified Member
Website

Hi

Communication is something you should cover with your trainer in the early stages of training - we do it at part 1 in classroom with exercises to help you talk and listen

Remember the listening is just as important - many PDI's ask me what MSPSL means and I say Mirror Speed Postion Signal Look and they say " yes thats right!!!!! Listen carefully if you ask a question

Communicate at their level - no point in asking about meeting situations if you are doing move off and stop - full talkthrough would be needed here not Q&A

Open questions are usually better than closed (thou they can be useful) such as do you know how the clutch works??? before the turn in the road is pretty useless - "can you tell me how to keep the car slow using the clutch" would be better and they either can explain or cant

So communicate at their level - use terms they can understand - such as lift the clutch pedal a pound coins width at a time - rather than a bit!!!  wink what is a bit? or do TIR at zimmer frame pace (1 mile an hour) rather than slowly!!!   wink whats slowly 10mph?? -- and of course listen look and learn

If a PDI asks me "do you know how the clutch works" I would answer yes ! I dont want to look stupid and then in the middle of the TIR they say "I thought you said you knew how the clutch worked!!"

Fault analysis is a little more complex

I have a hand out and you may find an extract from this useful

Identify fault correctly

Pupil approaching a left turn takes it too fast - you say "you took that corner too fast" -- THIS IS NOT THE FAULT but a consequence of the fault so did he

:cry: Coast
  :cry: Wrong gear
  :cry: Not brake enough
  :cry: Went back on gas
  :cry: (or not enough brake when going downhill)

This is the fault - identify which one and then see if you can help them and tell them what to do next time

Coast - make sure pup understands coasting and the problems of freewheeling - then tell them to "clutch up" next time you notice it 

Wrong gear - be careful WHEN you say you are in the wrong gear especially if they are about to turn and need both hands on the wheel - stop and practice gear changes if nec encourage them to use more brake if they realise they are in 4th etc rather than flapping as they turn

Not enough brake - make sure pup knows WHAT speed to brake down to and what speed to be going around corner -- ie brake to 15 and take corner (depending on corner) at between 2 and 8 miles an hour

Gas - stay off gas till straight then you may accelerate

Hope this short extract helps and is not too confusing

Regards   lol

Jeni

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

#4 25-04-05 07:35:54

skip qualify
Verified Member

very helpful, thx very much

this site should be included on on every ADI syllabus !   big_smile

#5 26-04-05 09:25:28

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Hi

Don't get too worried about your presentations and breifing skills. They are important but too much emphasis can be put on them in training. The core compentencies are the skills that pass you your test.

On each PST you should be aiming to do a 7 minute breifing. If you leave things out then you will give the examiner an opportunity to make a mistake. This means you can identify, analyse and offer remedial action for the fault - the core competencies.

Practice these with your trainer. If the examiner makes a fault you need to be good at controlling the situation. If you can analyse it in a sentence then do so, if not, stop the car and deal with the fault.

Practice breifings and questioning with family and friends if your not going on a pink licence.

Good luck

Colin

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

Board footer