You are not logged in.

#1 22-02-10 20:25:37

spectre61

Minibus driver training.

Hi

I was wondering if anyone out there had any thoughts about the MiDAS training scheme (minibus). It has been mentioned at my place of work and I would be interested to hear peoples views.

Thanks
S

Part 1 - Passed 28/1/2010, 1st att 100/63
Part 2 - Passed 27/4/2010, 1st att 1 minor

22-02-10 20:25:37

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Minibus driver training.

#2 24-02-10 15:15:43

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Complete waste of time and money.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#3 24-02-10 20:46:57

The Saint
Verified Member

In what capacity do you want to get involved with MIDAS?

It's certainly not a waste of money if your employer insists on you having a MIDAS before you can work with them. This happens in many Local Authority jobs around the country.

I think RedDragon means that it's a waste of time getting the qualification to teach/assess. And I would agree entirely. Many organisations have their own in-house trainers, so as a revenue stream it's a non-starter.

The MIDAS scheme started in Hampshire and is now recognised country-wide. If you already teach D1 it would be a fairly easy to cross over.

Did you think you didn't have to choose it?
That I alone could win or lose it?
In all the places we were hiding love
What was it we were thinking of?

#4 24-02-10 21:00:07

reddragonbus
Verified Member

The scheme is alot of kak, not worth the paper it is written on.

The standard of driving required to pass a midas assessment is a complete farce.

#5 24-02-10 21:05:28

The Saint
Verified Member

I would agree that the standard of driving is aimed low. It's more of a basis for people handling skills than a driving test.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating the scheme, just saying that as a starting point for minibus drivers, it's one of the few nationally recognised schemes available.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 24-02-10 22:42:42

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Is the standard required for MIDAS less than that for vocational licence aquisition?
If so, then it would appear to be all but pointless, from a road safety point of view.

#7 24-02-10 23:17:40

The Saint
Verified Member

It's certainly a lot less than a D1 DSA test, but not entirely pointless. It's a measure of competence in dealing with passengers on a minibus. The driving element is really secondary. Most elements are covered on the D1 syllabus.

It's designed to show that the driver has had some training, above and beyond what would normally be expected from a 'keen volunteer'. 

It's compulsary if you are employed by my County and want to drive a minibus containing kids. Most people (teachers and youth workers) are now being put through the DSA test, before they go on to take their MiDAS test. It's certainly not a high standard and most people would qualify, with the right input.

#8 25-02-10 06:14:36

FRANKS
Verified Member

Why would your County put some through a D1 test (DSA as you put it) and then as them to do the MIDAS training, that's like asking someone to pass an A level and then making them do a GCSE. Pointless.

I could see the point if they where using elements of the MNIDAS training for CPD such as wheel chair handling etc.

In my County Powys if a driver holds a PCV (D or D1) then they are not required to do the MIDAS training.

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#9 25-02-10 12:54:10

reddragonbus
Verified Member

I did the midas assessor trainer course a few years ago, I didn't have to sit the midas driving assessment as I hold a full PCV licence. Have never bothered to revalidate the assessor trainer ticket, waste of time.

#10 25-02-10 16:10:32

The Saint
Verified Member

Hi Kevin and Franks

The reason MiDAS exists it to train drivers to operate a minibus, not just to drive it. When I talk about my County making it compulsary, I'm talking about anyone driving a minibus connected with a County funded organisation eg. schools

It came about because there was concern that people were driving kids around in minibuses, but their only other driving skills were in a car. They could have only ever driven their KA up till that point!

Think of it this way. Your kids taken out by the school or college on a day trip. I personally would want the driver to have some training in that vehicle, for example, what to do in the event of a breakdown on the motorway and the simple things like ensuring passengers safety when getting on and off.

If you don't train people to ensure the kids don't just wander off when you open the doors, they might not think of it!

The MiDAS certificate is NOT a substitute for a D1 test, it's in addition. Think of as being the practical side of taking kids on a bus, rather than just the driving of it. Several aspects are covered in the D1 theory test I know, but MiDAS ensures that knowledge is tested.

It's not perfect by any means, but if it makes drivers think carefully about the journey, that's got to be good thing and certainly not a waste of time.

***By the way, as from 1st September 2005 all drivers in Powys who want to drive a minibus from the County Passenger Unit have to have a MiDAS certificate.

#11 26-02-10 20:54:03

FRANKS
Verified Member

***By the way, as from 1st September 2005 all drivers in Powys who want to drive a minibus from the County Passenger Unit have to have a MiDAS certificate.

I think you'll find this is incorrect, I'm going to be driving the mini bus for our local judo club under Powys community bus scheme (called Red kite). As I have a full PCV licence, which I've held for longer than I care to admit I donjt have to havea MiDAS certificate. FACT.

The way you're talking then surely all PCV driver after passes there D or D1 should take MiDAS training because they wouldn't know how to handle passengers and see them on and off buses. Sorry 'the saint' you really need to get into the real world. These comments are an insult to an normal person.

#12 26-02-10 22:51:16

The Saint
Verified Member

Red Kite Minibus Scheme
Powys County Council has a fleet of minibuses each with a capacity to carry 17 people (including the driver), of which 3 are fully accessible and can accommodate a wheelchair (arrangements made by contacting the Scheme Co-ordinator). 

All vehicles are equipped with:
Who can use it?
How do you register?
How much does it cost to hire?
Useful Links
For further information...
All vehicles are equipped with:
Drivers information pack
First Aid Kit
Warning triangle
Spillage kit
Fire extinguisher
High visibility vest
Protective gloves
Wheelchair tie down / occupant restraint (on wheelchair accessible vehicles)
Who can use it?
The minibus scheme is only available to non-profit making community and voluntary groups in the County of Powys
Only Group Members of Powys County Council Red Kite Minibus Scheme can hire a minibus
Individual members of the general public cannot hire a minibus unless registered with the scheme.
How do you register?
Organisations will be required to register annually and a registration fee of £10.00 is payable at the time of registration.   The registration period is from 1st April to 31st March with membership ceasing every year on 31st March.

The Policy, Registration/Driver forms and Booking form can be obtained from the links below or you can contact the:
Passenger Transport Unit  Tel:  0845 607 6060

As from 1st September 2005 all registered drivers must be Midas Trained. (Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme).

For more information on Midas Training please contact:
Powys Transport Training Agency
Emporium Building, Temple Street
Llandrindod Wells, Powys, LD1 5DL
Tel:   01597 829235
Email:   sarahlj@pavo.org.uk

How much does it cost to hire?

Franks.

Two things.

Firstly I don't take kindly to being told to get into the real world. I teach D and D1. I have had around 12-15 D1 passes in the last 9 months or so.

I have driven coaches all over Europe.

I think I am there!

Secondly, as you can see by the above text taken directly from the County Council website, my comment about the MiDAS is quite correct.

Would you now agree?

I think that you have completely failed to grasp the comment I have made several times that the MiDAS refers to people who want to drive minibuses when taking passengers from a Council funded organisation.

It DOES NOT require all PCV drivers to have completed a MiDAS course. The Council are free to make their own rules.

If they make an agreement with you, that's fine. But their website is quite clear.

Please show some respect to replies made in good faith.

They are NOT an insult.

#13 27-02-10 07:48:39

FRANKS
Verified Member

I suggest you request the paper work that is required to register for the RED KITE scheme from Sarah and look at the requirements for drivers of community mini buses. It does say that they are required to have MIDAS Certificate but are exempt if they hold a PCV licence. FACT

You seem to think that this MIDAS is better than a PCV licence, all a MIDAS cert does is lets a car driver driver a mini bus on a 'not for reward' basis. As RED DRAGON has already said the MIDAS training is no where near the standard of a PCV test. MIDAS is just taking the advantage of a loop hole in the law to let car driver drive passenger carrying vehicles. You made a comment that parents would surely rather have MiDAS trained drivers, as a parent in Powys I can tell you that they would rather have a professional driving their kids about. Also teachers in my kids school will not do MiDAS training because they don't want the responsibility of being in charge of a vehicle and the children on it. FACT.

You're not the only PCV trainer on this forum. Other hold City & guild and NVQ qualifiactions to do the job to and have been doing for 20 years +.

Board footer