You are not logged in.

#1 28-03-08 08:59:57

keja33
Verified Member

Red Driving School

I am looking for a school to join   big_smile

Anybody got anything to say about Red Driving School, was thinking about speaking to them,
Cant find anything on here, is that good or bad   big_smile big_smile

28-03-08 08:59:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Red Driving School

#2 28-03-08 09:17:52

Dimmy

Red are owned by the same people as The Instructor College.

Their franchise deal is lower than the other nationals. But their pupil generation has historically been an issue for many.

They recently have been going through an internal revue and some branches have been centralised.
All branches had in house trainers that the instructors could make use of, but I beleive many of those trainers have been relocated or moved over to TIC side of the Businesses.

Their termination notice is one of the shortest in the industry. I beleive it is 3 weeks.

They offer a stepped introducer scheme, where the 1st 3 weeks franchise fees are lower than the normal fee to help new instructors build up their diaries without the pressure of full franchise costs.

New pupil enquiries are sent to instructors via TEXT.

#3 28-03-08 09:39:55

dcbedford
Verified Member

Have just sent you a personal message about Red Driving School

Dave

Part 1 - Second attempt - Passed 7/9/06 98/61
Part 2 - First attempt 1/12/06- Failed 8 minors
Part 2 - Second attempt 5/12/06 - Failed different 8 minors
Part 2 - Third attempt 11/1/07 - Passed 4 minors
Part 3 - First Attempt - 7/8/07 - PST 1 5/3
Part 3 - Second Attempt - 11/9/07 - PST 7 2/3
Part 3 - Third Attempt - 25/3/08 - PST 3 5/4 Passed at Last
First Check Test - 2/9/09 - Grade 4

#4 28-03-08 10:27:39

AndyBerry

What area are you in? I work for Red in Nottinghamshire and can't fault them:

I've been with them 6 months, and as said above, 3 weeks at reduced rates then onto full rate. Much cheaper franchise than AA with no pupil fees. I get an average of about 1 pupil a week from them now (more than I need). I've had 2 this week, 1 last week and 2 the week before.
Mostly generating my own business which I'm happy with as it's more local to me than the school provide (well established in Nottingham but where I live in Mansfield I'm their first instructor). Marketing material provided to you if you need it - A4 posters, postcards and business cards which are all rather eye catching I think. Free FBTC accounting and free subscription to ADI News.
Erm, let's see, what else... the car - corsa with 1.3 CDTI engine, all new shape ones after April (new car next month for me - yay!) fully maintained etc, just fuel it and go basically. If you've got your own car, you can get a 'headboard' franchise where you'll get full features above but with your own car (at reduced rate naturally) - they'll even livery it up etc for you.
As dimmy said, new pupils supplied by text message but you also receive a letter as well. If it's a short notice thing like someone who has a test coming up, they'll not book them in without talking to you first.

Any questions, feel free to PM me etc. I can give you my regional managers phone number if you want an informal chat over the phone (or coffee if your in his region). He's a good person to talk to, Grade 6 ADI, ORDIT registered - was an ADI himself for a good few years so knows what he's talking about.

Hope that helps you!

Andy

#5 28-03-08 12:05:09

keja33
Verified Member

Thanks for the replies   big_smile

I am in Blackpool, not sure if they have a car in this area

#6 12-05-08 09:20:32

danno7

I too am looking at RED as my future driving school.

I'm sure that i've seen, or read, that RED let you work in or near to your Postal code ?
Is this the case ?

Someone i spoke to then said they have heard that RED drivers sometimes have distances between their jobs ?  I:E: A large work area.

With their low Franchise rates, they do look appealing but if i lose Lesson time due to travelling more than 15 mins or so between lessons, is it worth it ?
Any other info on RED would be much appreiciated as i am about t decide on my chosen Path.

Thanks.

#7 12-05-08 09:47:35

AndyBerry

danno,
yes they generally allow you to work within your own postcode, however they do like to get you working out in more than just that so your less limited with pupil supply. For example I cover work through more than half the NG postcode areas at the minute to keep the money coming in.
It's down to you how you plan your diary, try splitting it into areas. For example I set aside a couple of days where I'll do time in my further away areas where I can get 2 or 3 lessons in there making it almost as worthwhile as working close to home (it costs me £1.10 in fuel to get to furthest lesson from home at todays prices). Franchise fee is slightly more than I pay now according to new instructor that started in my area, but as I'm contracted until September time mine won't be going up in a hurry!

Andy

#8 12-05-08 10:00:04

danno7

Is it reasonable to expect to get 40hrs worth a week in lessons ?  Over 5 Days ?

This is the figure bandied about by the instructor schools ?

Also how long from starting with RED ( hopefully on your Pink PDI ) can you expect to build up a reasonable client base ?

If i leave my current job to persue thia career path, i want as little finacial headaches as possible when i start.

Thanks

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#9 12-05-08 10:01:43

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

I too am looking at RED as my future driving school.

I'm sure that i've seen, or read, that RED let you work in or near to your Postal code ?
Is this the case ?

Someone i spoke to then said they have heard that RED drivers sometimes have distances between their jobs ?  I:E: A large work area.

With their low Franchise rates, they do look appealing but if i lose Lesson time due to travelling more than 15 mins or so between lessons, is it worth it ?
Any other info on RED would be much appreiciated as i am about t decide on my chosen Path.

Thanks.

Hi danno7

I can't comment specifically on Red as I have no personal experience of them, but I can comment more generally about the realities of being a driving instructor.

No matter what franchise you go with or even if you're an independent, unless you live in a large densely populated town or city, you'll be very lucky indeed to be able to source or sustain enough work to give you a decent income if you restrict yourself solely to a limited geographical area.

This is especially true in the early days of your career, when you have no reputation or recommendations to provide you with a pupil base - if your aim is to be instructing full time to make a living, you'll find yourself having to take on pupils that aren't "ideal" in terms of where they're situated or even in terms of what type of pupil they are. Being choosy is a luxury that only comes with experience, a good reputation and following on from that, new pupils who come via recommendation.

In the case of my driving school, we cover 5 towns of which Slough is the most densely populated and we book lessons 30 minutes apart. There is not enough work even in the "economic boom town" of Slough for any of our instructors to operate solely in Slough and this is due to competition from other driving schools...in case you haven't noticed, Red and their parent company LVG limited who also own The Instructor College, churn out new driving instructors on a production line and to be blunt, there isn't enough work for everyone and there certainly isn't a "national shortage of driving instructors" that some training companies tell wannabe instructors there is...

If you're considering embarrking on driving instructor training, I've written a guide to Becoming A Driving Instructor which tells you everything involved in the process, do's and don't's when you're looking for training and what it's really like to work in the driver training industry.

Oh and quite seriously...if you want a job that doesn't involve a "financial headache", forget being a driving instructor...it's far from easy to qualify and you won't make decent money for at least 2-3 years after qualifying...I'm not trying to put you off and I wish you every success, but so many people think driving instruction is a far easier option than it turns out to be for them

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 12-05-08 10:11:35

AndyBerry

Is it reasonable to expect to get 40hrs worth a week in lessons ?  Over 5 Days ?

This is the figure bandied about by the instructor schools ?

Also how long from starting with RED ( hopefully on your Pink PDI ) can you expect to build up a reasonable client base ?

If i leave my current job to persue thia career path, i want as little finacial headaches as possible when i start.

Thanks

It's not impossible to do 40 hours a week, however very difficult to work that in. To start with, you'll probably find yourself working every day for a small number of hours and be working hard to pay your fee, fuel and fit in part 3 training (don't forget, as a PDI that's your main goal still!)
As for getting 40 hours and a decent client base, it is area specific. For example if I wanted to do 40 hours, I could build it up within a few weeks with Red but most of my work would be 15-20 miles away. I'm in an area that was previously untouched by Red so very few referrals local to me, majority of my local business is self-sourced (as I expected when I started!).
As for leaving current job, if you don't want a financial headache (trust me, I have one daily), try sticking with your job as well to begin with or just cut your hours down a bit. I still work 40+ hours with my employer (more if my lessons are a little low or I have none one day and there's overtime available), so I know things like my mortgage etc are going to get paid even if I'm struggling to pay my franchise fee one week.

Andy

#11 12-05-08 10:23:27

danno7

Thanks for that Andy and Lou.

Lots of food for thought !

I'll return once i've thought things out.

Cheers.

#12 17-11-08 10:06:49

OH DEAR WHERE DO I START WITH THIS MONEY GRABBIN COMPANY!!!
WELL FIRST OF ALL WHAT DO PEOPLE PAY £3000 FOR????
PART   1----- DO IT YOURSELF AT HOME :evil:
PART 2----- WAHAY COUPLE OF HOURS HERE DRIVING!WHERE THAY SAY NOTHING BUT BAD THINGS!!
[

PART 3---- OMG! WHAT IS THE TUTOR ON ABOUT??? LESS CHATTING MORE TEACHING ME HOW TO TEACH! MOST OF THE TIME YOUR SAT IN THE BACK OF THE CAR WHILE ANOTHER PDI MUCH FURTHER AHEAD OF YOU DRIVES YOU ROUND AND ROUND THE BLOCK!

IM SORRY BUT THE TRAINING BOOKS DON'T ADD UP TOO £100 LET ALONE £3000!AND WHEN YOU HAVE PAID OUT THAT MONEY THE LEAST THEY CAN DO IS ONE ON ONE TRAINING!!!

I WISH I HAD RESEARCHED THIS COMPANY B4 I HANDED OVER MY MONEY!! BIG.........HUGE CON!

WHEN I SAID I DIDN'T WANT TO TRAIN (IF THATS WHAT YOU CALL IT) WITH THEM ANY MORE THEY HAD A CHEEK TO ASK ME FOR £50 FOR LATE CANCELLATION FEE!!! VERY FUNNY RED :evil: :evil:[/color]

#13 17-11-08 11:04:45

confused
Verified Member
Website

I did research it and didn't train with them as all I heard about TIC, Red & Let's Drive was very bad things.

Biggest advice to give anyone thinking of beginning their training. Spend a lot, I mean a lot (I spent about a year) contacting training companies, compare prices, what training & materials they provide, how often sessions are available, what you get after you qualify.

I talked to Passmasters, TIC, Red, Let's Drive, Warden Hill, Talbot, BSM, AA (who weren't training then), A1, CIA and local smaller companies. Talk to other ADIs about what the job is REALLY like. Beacause training companies are just that, a company, protecting the profit margin buy selling the courses.

www.drivingzone.co.uk
DSA ADI & Fleet

#14 17-11-08 21:15:23

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

[color=blue]OH DEAR WHERE DO I START WITH THIS MONEY GRABBIN COMPANY!!!
WELL FIRST OF ALL WHAT DO PEOPLE PAY £3000 FOR????

Unable to work at the moment due to my back, I feel well qualified to answer this.
Quite simple really, just about every advert break on a freeview channel has an advert from guess who??

#15 16-11-09 12:30:17

Macca
Verified Member

#16 21-02-10 23:31:31

rooster
Verified Member

I posted this a good few months ago, and now LVG, (RED's parent company), has gone thro' administration, but RED still operates. This causes me little worry! I'm still very happy to be with RED.

Very Happy with Red franchise here!

VERY recently qualified as an ADI, (less than 5 months trading!)
I am VERY impressed by how much business I have obtained, (full diary booked for 3-4 weeks in advance at 24+ hours per week). (Some referrals coming through - but mainly RED generated to start with).
I pay £175 per week for car/call centre/admin support/Accountant services/Business manager on call/ stationary/ADI magazine subs. They are negotatiating for a 'fleet fuel discount' too!(That'll be nice )If I fall out with them - it's four weeks notice to terminate contract - seems fair?
They have had promo's in local shopping centres to generate trade, (quite successful), and even came along to my village fete and put up a marquee and display boards, which raised my local profile as well as theirs!
I pay no fee to them, (other than the £175) and I had a 4 week franchise free intro! There's a deal for a 3 week franchise free holiday after a set period, (1 to be taken at Xmas), if you sign up to the 12 month contract! All I have to do is to honour their commitment to their 2 for 1 introductory offer - after that the pupil is mine!
Their referral system is not without it's faults, some tweeking required which they are 'on' to.

All in all, in my circumstances, in my area, in my view, and after quite a bit of research, and taking the advertising claims with a large 'pinch of salt', (as you should do with any marketing!), I am chuffed to bits that I went with RED! 

Sorry to sound like an advert   - but I've had a lot of help from you guys on this site  - and I'd like to share my good experience with you, so make of it what you wish.

#17 22-02-10 07:28:56

VandADI
Administrator

Can I remind you all that this is AN INSTRUCTOR TRAINING COMPANY REVIEW SECTION - If you had a bad experience then by all means tell us what happened, but do so responsibly. If you have had a good experience, we would also like to know! This section is not about defaming any company and any such posts will be promptly removed.

Board footer