You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 21-04-04 15:11:04

novice_kid

...And so it begins...

Hey everyone!!

My name is Nicholas.. I am 17 and have just got back from my first ever driving lesson. I came on the net straight away to get some help and advice. Why? Because it was a disaster (i think)..

Okay, here goes..
Well, everything started off so well. My instructor was cool and he gave me all the theory prep talk and the cockpit drill etc.

But then he started talking about the gear system and the cluth stuff... Thats when my mind just blanked out. I found my mouth saying "Yeah, uh huh" but my brain just felpt empty..

So then, he's thinking I've understood it all and everything, so it's now MY turn to drive.

Now for my problems...

STARTING:
I kept getting confused about the starting sequencial procedure. He gave me some really hefty instructions.

Basically I don't really know what the clutch and gear system do.. I guess, once I understand that and have a general outline of the car anatomy then I should be okay..

My first 2 HOUR lesson and all I did was move like 3 meters. Stalled twice. Braked at wrong times. Let go of the clutch at the wrong times etc..

I'm so heart broken sad. I was SO looking forward to these lessons and what a mess I've amde of them sad.

Any support and/or advice?

(PS. These forums are like a gift from God!)[/list]

21-04-04 15:11:04

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: ...And so it begins...

#2 21-04-04 15:36:39

jonks

Hi Nicholas

First of all, congratulations on deciding to take driving lessons at 17. I waited until I was 20 and really regretted waiting.

Don't give your self a hard time over getting it all confused on your first lesson. I know that all of the instructors here will agree with me when I say - The first lesson is like that for everyone.

There are ups and downs in learning to drive. You may even get to a point where you want to give up. I know I did.  But its like everything... Practice makes perfect, and practice is all driving requires.

I believe that the human body has an amazing capacity to learn and that doing things over and over will train your body to make the right moves at the right time. Drivers who have been on the road for years don't even think about the moves they make when driving, because after a while it become natural and the only thing you need is observation.

Give it a few weeks and persist. you will be surprised how quickly you pick it up.

Everyone feels a bit useless on their first lesson, but don't be embarrassed about it, feel happy that you have made the first steps towards getting mobile, and even happier that you are taking driving seriously enough to seek help when you need it.

You are very welcome to our forums...

Good luck!

Perhaps one of our instructors might write an explanation for you about how the clutch and gears work together. That way you could get it all straight in your mind ready for your next lesson and surprise your instructor with what you know  smile

#3 21-04-04 15:42:42

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Hi

As many other people have said 'my first lesson didn't go to well' but give it a chance, take another 4 or 5 hours and have a re-think about how you are getting on.
It all depends on the pupil and the area they live but in the first 2 hours i try to get moving off and stopping done, and it sounds like you started this, Remember its all very new to you and seems a lot to take in but you will get there, its no problem if you cant remember how things work but plan to try and learn the cockpit drill, it would be a good start to your second lesson if you can remember;

D S S S M

doors (are closed)
seat   (in 3 parts-base,rake,headrest)
steering (that you can reach it with a bend in your elbows)
seatbelt (making sure it ain't twisted)
mirrors (centre mirror and door mirrors)

Good luck with your next lesson, Let us know how you get on

regards

Nigel
seat

#4 21-04-04 20:35:31

Midge
Website

Sometimes if someone tells you something using slightly different terms it suddenly "clicks", so come on instructors, what are your ways af explaining to your pupils the basics. 
Something that works with some pupils of mine - The clutch, it is the make or break pedal,  it makes and breaks the connection between the engine and the driving wheels.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#5 22-04-04 04:17:55

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hi Nicholas

Don't be to upset if it makes you feel better.I have drivers who have been passed for years and still get confused as to which pedle is which wink
What I say to them is it's as simple as A.B.C.

Under right foot is A. Accelerator,move right foot across is B,Brake, use left foot only on C, Clutch.

spell it backwards it's C.A.B. I find they remember and learn it that way wink  It's the way I got taught and it stuck :idea:

Best of luck with it,and you know where we are if you need us.

Giz

#6 22-04-04 08:44:26

Folk

Welcome to the Forum Nicholas!

From one fellow Learner to another, I would like to encourage you to not feel embarrassed or beat yourself up over your 1st lesson.   Learning to drive is quite complex and no-one can master it all in one lesson! 

I have been taking lessons since last October and there are still things which I get in a muddle with!

A book which I have found invaluable is "driving the essential skills! - a DSA official publication which you can buy at all good bookshops.  Although it's a bit pricey at £12.99 it is EXCELLENT.

The more lessons you have the more it will all sink in.  At first I felt I would never get to grips with it all, so much information - I had no idea it would be so complex but I have stuck with it and although I'm nowhere near test standard I look forward to the lessons and am enjoying practicing when I can with my husband.  As Jonks says, practice makes perfect!

I hope this helps.  Anything else you want to ask please don't hesitate as there are lots of people who can help you here.

Folk  smile

#7 22-04-04 15:29:38

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi, I'm not going to give any advice this time.

Just to say that most pupils who have a 'dog of a lesson' first time out usually go on to do really well.

I also reckon that the worst people at steering are the brainiest!

Stick at it and you'll be smooth and competant in no time.

Regards,

#8 22-04-04 18:53:19

novice_kid

Thanks for all your encouraging posts guys! Such a welcoming atmosphere meakes me feel really at home smile.

I'll let you all know how my second lesson (wednesday) goes! (Like you're interested wink).

#9 22-04-04 19:16:26

Liesa

Hi novicekid

We would really love you to let us all know, how you get on this Wednesday 8)

Good luck and remember, Rome wasn't built in a day wink

Board footer