You are not logged in.

#1 11-06-09 13:29:27

VandADI
Administrator

Mercedes A Class

I will be taking delivery of a brand new Mercedes A Class shortly and will report back on how it performs as an instructor car.

11-06-09 13:29:27

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Mercedes A Class

#2 11-06-09 21:00:45

The Saint
Verified Member

Perfect timing Vanda!

I'm already looking around for a replacement car for the Autumn. I did toy with the idea of an A class a couple of years ago, but the price was too steep.

Maybe you could ask Mr Benz for a bulk discount next time you're having tea and biccies in his office.....

Did you think you didn't have to choose it?
That I alone could win or lose it?
In all the places we were hiding love
What was it we were thinking of?

#3 12-06-09 07:36:42

DampDog
Verified Member

My uncle runs one of these, I had a little go and immediately thought it would make a good instructors car. View out of the rear is panoramic, better than anything else I've driven, bar none. High up seating position improves vision at junctions no end, and despite it being people carrier-ish, they're very compact. I think you'll be pleased with it. Only downer is Mercedes servicing cost are a tad high, but no new cars are cheap.

I'm jealous now, I fancy a new car but am skint.. :cry:

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#4 15-02-10 09:45:16

triplea35

Has anyone got any further info re the use of one of these as an instructors car.
I was looking at a diesel version(1.9) but when I contacted Waveney they would not quote me on it, something to the effect that it was not a commonly used vehicle and that I would have to shop around and I would probably find someone who would. Waveney did give me a very reasonable quote on a more common vehicle so it was obviously not me they didnt want to insure!!
Are people using the petrol or diesel versions for tuition?
Thanks   

#5 15-02-10 18:37:17

VandADI
Administrator

I have a 1.5 petrol, 5 door hatchback, avangarde blue efficiency model. 
The stop/start function is easy once you get the hang of it.
Very nice car to drive, well built, slick gear changes, very roomy in the back.
The car battery is situated in the drivers footwell.
Fuel consumption around town about 37mpg
I got insurance through Aviva for £325 which includes off road tuition for ANY age, (not limited to the normal 14+ year olds)
Vision through front and rear windows is very good as the seating is quite high.
You have adjustable seats on both drivers and passenger seats in the front which is brill for short driving instructors.
My only gripe is that the avangarte model does not have retractable door mirrors, in fact, there is no flexibility in them at all so you have to be very careful not to lamp them one, or in my case, a very tight squeeze getting it into my garage of an evening.
There is a centre console which I thought would open up, to put bits and pieces in, but all it does is slide back and forth, for elbow placement I guess, having said that, the glove box is quite roomy and there is a small elasticated net in the passenger side to put paperwork in.
Spare tyre is a spacesaver.
First aid kid neatly hidden away in boot side panels along with tools and handbook.
Altogether the best driving tuition car I have driven so far.

#6 15-02-10 21:11:38

colin

Blaine Walsh runs an A Class.  Why not ask him on his web site?

Colin

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 01-06-10 21:34:01

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Just had a A180 Avantgarde delivered today from Accident Exchange as a temp replacement for my Corsa which is getting fixed after the rear end shunt.

Pupil who drove it today will be taking it to test on thursday and after the lesson we were both grinning  lol

Pros:
Its got fantastic visibility for both driver and instructor
6 gear manual is so easy to use
Bluetooth hands free that took me 5 mins to get my phone to talk to
Easy turning circle
Great mirrors
Auto wipers and auto lights
parking sensors but can be turned off
Leg room for driver - I am 6 ft tall and have to move the seat forward - a first for me!

Cons:
Dual controls are positioned ridiculously high where my knees could get to them quicker than my feet  yikes
Thirsty compared to the Corsa - used 14 tank of fuel in half a day but it's a bigger engine than my 1.3 ecoflex
Steering wheel has only the hight adjustment - can't be moved in or out
Costs more than the Corsa and I have to think pounds and pence

Overall - I really like it and hope they don't rush on repairing mine  wink

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

Board footer