You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 11-02-10 20:39:52

shamus
Website

Part 3 success

big_smile Passed my part 3 today had PST 3  big_smile

Phase 1 Partly trained turn in the road     Grade 4
Phase 2 Trained Approaching Junctions to turn left or right   Grade  5

Will do a write up tomorrow when i've come down off my cloud

www.morgandrivertraining.co.uk
Part 1- 14/11/08
Part 2-  30/1/09
Part 3-  11/2/10

11-02-10 20:39:52

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 3 success

#2 11-02-10 21:11:05

judy_83

Well done you!  God, it must be an amazing feeling.  Will look forward to reading your write up - maybe it will help myself and other pdi's.

Congrats

#3 11-02-10 22:08:25

DH

Nice one shamus.

Now you can stick your nose in the air and be all superior like the rest of us.  big_smile

#4 12-02-10 09:25:38

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

big_smile Well Done, Good luck for the future

#5 12-02-10 11:51:19

Tregster
Verified Member
Website

WELL DONE!!!!

Can't wait for the write up.. hopefully it will help me and others.

have you been on a trainee license?

Passed Part 1 - 08/12/09. 2nd attempt 99/65
Passed Part 2 - 20/01/10. 1st attempt 'Zero Faults'
Passed Part 3 - 29/06/10. 1st attempt 4 - 5

#6 12-02-10 13:16:38

jay666
Website

Well done. Great feeling isn't it??

Good luck with your new career smile

Jay

#7 12-02-10 21:31:56

shamus
Website

OK now that i've come back to the real world heres a write up which i hope may help anybody whose part 3 is imminent.
I have been on a pink which i feel helped alot to gain practical experience, i also chose the extra 20 hours training rather than being supervised.

I arrived at 1020 for a 1030 start to find the waiting room full with 4 learner drivers waiting for there test, each with there instructors and another instructor waiting for his check test/educational, my examiner was the last to come out and introduce himself and check my documents while i signed the declaration (I advise everyone at this stage to take a long time signing and take a look to see what PST you got) I got PST 3 and off we went to the car and was told the examiner would be driving so we both got in the car where i was given the debrief, he has had a few lessons with another instructor but has never done a TITR, so after introducing myself i said today will be doing the TITR so by the end of todays lesson you will be able to do the TITR to a decent level but we cant perform the manourvre here so we will need to drive to an area safe to carry it out but first we need to do the cockpit drill, he tried it on by not doing it in the correct order so i corrected him and he did it in the right order but as he put on the seat belt i noticed it was twisted so i pointed it out and he corrected it, then after asking him to drive using all previosly learnt routines we set off. On the way to the site he tried all the tricks like signalling before mirror checks, not signalling at all, turning right too soon cutting the corner and coasting, i like to think i kept on top of them all, then we got to the site.
Gave a good briefing on TITR and on the first attempt he brought the clutch up and let the car go too fast so i put a stop to that by reminding him to keep it on the bite, then we touched the kerb but i used that to point out his reference point, then on the way back we touched the kerb again so i pointed out the rear refernce point, second attempt and we didnt touch the kerb at all but was still a bit too fast so i said it will make the manourvre easier if done slower, third attempt was  better.Job done,Although at the end brief i was told that i didnt get him to look out the rear window before he released the handbrake when reversing, if i had got him to do this i would have got a 5 instead of the 4 i was given.
Next phase he said he was at test standard but needs to improve left and right turns major to minor, so i asked the usual questions regarding the MSM/PSL he gave all the right answers so we set off on the drive and again he tried all the old tricks but his time rather than give instructions when a fault  occured i would ask a relevent question to get the same result, his driving got better as the lesson progressed until we got back to the TC.
After the obligatory 5 minute wait when i talked to the instructor that was having the checktest i was given the result and an advisory talk about my performance which i took onboard.
Obviosly i was over the moon and relieved, the past 2 years of training and practising have all been worthwhile.

Part 1- 14/11/08
Part 2-  30/1/09
Part 3-  11/2/10

#8 12-02-10 22:22:22

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Just out of curiosity, and as I'm sure you have the PST marking sheet, if on phase 1 the examiner had put in faults on the cockpit drill or signaling before mirror checks, and you hadn't picked up on it, where do you suppose the examiner would have shown it on the marking sheet.....??????????????

.phil.
:angel:

PS, congrat's on passing!

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#9 12-02-10 22:45:58

shamus
Website

Column B, Core Competancies
                                        Identification of faults
                                        Fault analysis
                                        Remedial action

Part 1- 14/11/08
Part 2-  30/1/09
Part 3-  11/2/10

#10 13-02-10 07:50:59

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

hahahahaha fair enough...... though the faults the examiner could put in are listed on column A, so for example for TIR it's

Briefing on TIR
Coordination of Controls
Observation
Accuracy

It doesn't list seat belt or signals timing....

.phil.

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#11 13-02-10 19:14:14

1stcastle

Hello, I am a trainer and was quite surprised that during your turn in the rd pst your examiner put in junction faults-coasting and cutting corners. The subject was a tir and the faults should be related to the subject matter. Are you sure he was doing this? If he was then in theory you should have diverted from the subject to sort out the serious faults. You would be expected to do this on a check test but the part 3 test is different and the examiner should do a good drive maybe putting in a mirror, signal fault. Please can you send me a post and explain in more detail. Thanks

#12 13-02-10 20:33:17

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

hello 1stcastle, I am a trainer and was quite surprised that you expect an examiner to put in "mirror, signal faults" during a TIR  big_smile

Again I would ask the question where (on column A  tongue) would the examiner mark those faults?

As the candidate is being assessed on observations and coordination of controls, wouldn't it make more sense for the examiner to put in faults related to that eg lifting the clutch too quickly/braking harshly or not checking round properly before moving off?

For my last ORDIT exam the PDI I had did TIR and at the end the examiner (who I believe is an assistant chief examiner) made no comments that I should have put in other errors not related to the PST marking sheet. 

I've sat in on a part 3 TIR and the only fault the examiner showed on the drive to the site was lifting the clutch too quickly.  The first time she did it, the PDI said it was because she were not used to the car. The second time the examiner made it more obvious and the PDI suggested she lift the clutch slowly and gradually which cured the fault.   

BTW Shamus, once again congratulations on passing part 3, well done.... Sorry if it appears I have hijacked your thread somewhat  :oops:

.phil.

#13 14-02-10 08:14:47

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

I can clarify that the examiner would not normally be expected to present so many 'unrelated' faults, and this does seem a little unusual to say the least.
Any faults should be kept mainly within the subject area and can include related 'scene setting' faults.
However on occasions PDI's manifest faults where they don't actually exist, and as you quite rightly stated the examiner has no where to mark them outside the PST subject (unless dangerous instruction is given).

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

#14 14-02-10 08:18:22

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

Sorry Shamus I should have also added my congratulations on passing. Well done smile

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

#15 15-02-10 23:16:46

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Well done on getting through the part 3 exams. Good luck in your future career.

Cheers

jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

Board footer