You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 21-01-10 22:19:30

pdw1977
Website

1st Check Test Next Week..........ALREADY!!!

Hi Guys,

I have my first check test next week in Sevenoaks (kent) if anybody knows it? I only qualified in Sept!!

Luckilly, the test is being conducted by the same SE that passed me for part 2 and 3, which is good, as she was really nice and put me at ease. Sevenoaks is also where I did all my part 3 training which is handy, because it is miles away from where I normally teach!!

I have decided to do dual carriagways for the check test. This is because, after leaving the TC there are some pretty nasty junctions etc, so I can correct any faults and re-do if necessary and then it leads out to a long stretch of dual carriageway.

Has anyone got any good tips for things to discuss on a dual carriageway as we will be on it for a few miles. I don't want to get to the dreaded silence!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really want to do well.

Thanks all smile

Still a Newbie so be nice!!

www.pwdriving.com

21-01-10 22:19:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: 1st Check Test Next Week..........ALREADY!!!

#2 21-01-10 22:48:52

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Blimey, your's came around quick - took them 2 years to catch up with me! No reason to get silent on a dual carriageway, so much going on!  Slip roads on and off - can you incorporate these on the stretch you are using?  Plus looking at HGV's going at slower speeds and overtaking each other, anticipation, keeping space, not getting boxed in when overtaking, other vehicles speeding, tailgating, it's high speed, high danger, plenty to get your teeth into  smile

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#3 21-01-10 22:52:51

pdw1977
Website

Too quick for my liking!

I have been writing a list of things to talk about. I had missed tailgaiting, so thanks for that one! DOH! big_smile

www.pwdriving.com

#4 21-01-10 22:58:14

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Have fun with it and good luck smile

#5 21-01-10 23:44:08

la.monikita
Verified Member

It's funny with the "Hi Guys" when only women respond tongue
What's the difference between dual and a motorway? Separation distances, breakdown procedures.... I guess you'll be using the A21? What "pupil" are you using?

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#6 21-01-10 23:51:47

pdw1977
Website

Sorry! Guys and Gals....is that better?  big_smile

Yes I will be using the A21. Joining it from the Westerham end and going back toward Tonbridge, then back to Sevenoaks.

The pupil I am using has had 21 hours of tuition. but hasn't done and dual carriageways yet. She is a pretty competent driver so hopefully it will go ok.

www.pwdriving.com

#7 22-01-10 00:01:44

la.monikita
Verified Member

Check test is not that long, so I would ask her to prepare what are the diff between dual and motorways? How do you know...either? Then do join leave procedures, speed limits cars/vans, Exit bends, speed/gears/analysis. Lane discipline (dangers with bikes and Hastings and coppers, only around that time of May bank hols tho)

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#8 22-01-10 00:40:03

pdw1977
Website

Cool, thanks for the tips. Now I have to just plan the route to last about 50 mins?? Am I right in assuming that if my check test starts at 12pm, I need to arrive back at the test centre at 1pm? Do they allow a little bit of leway?

www.pwdriving.com

#9 23-01-10 15:23:32

Loony
Verified Member

Mine started at 12 but at 12.40 the SE tapped me on the shoulder and said could I start to head back yikes
The test centre was only 2 Min's away but i did as I was asked did my debrief got my grade and was on the way out of the test centre by 12.55 big_smile My guess is the SE was hungry?

The older I get ..................... The better I was!

#10 23-01-10 22:00:43

c-way
Verified Member
Website

On mine I was told I could be out for an hour but if the lesson was going to plan it was ok to be back a little early but similarly if the lesson needed more time it was ok to be about 10 mins late, I took the earlier option  big_smile  but nice flexibiltiy from SE

#11 26-01-10 19:30:28

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

On mine, the SE said that he was a realist and knows that timings don't always go to plan because of traffic etc.. and so not to worry if we under or over ran.

I had several possible routes to return by though incase time was of the essence.

#12 26-01-10 23:10:12

scannermanh
Verified Member

Don't worry, just give a good formal lesson, try not to miss anything and a key point is to be flexible, if the pupil makes a mistake on something else other than the planned lesson, change the lesson to fix it then back to the original subject. Started mine on ant & planning, ended up doing right hand junction, cut the corner. I don't think they are intrested in what subject you teach more how you teach a subject, Core comps. anyway good luck and have fun, I enjoyed doing mine and found the debrief really helpfull.
As its come round quick, I'm led to believe, at worst you will get an Educational and another CT in a year, so you can't really fail, but then again you may get a grade.

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

#13 27-01-10 00:31:37

DH

I'd go with scannermanh's advice if I were you. Give the SE a reasonable impersonation of an ADI but don't get too rigid with it. Do you spot the faults, do you work out with your pupil the reason why they happen and do you take appropriate remedial action? Core comps.

On my last test I didn't do a set subject, we just went for a drive as practice at putting it all together and I dealt with whatever cropped up. They do like a bit of structure so recap, objective, briefing and so on will do you some good but yes, be flexible.

Good Luck.

#14 27-01-10 14:22:26

Aspyre

If you are not graded on your first one it is an 'educational' but it will probably be a lot less than a year before you get another one....... usually within 6 months and as little as three.

Aim high, not low.

#15 28-01-10 10:19:31

pdw1977
Website

Well here goes nothing! I'm off to pick up my pupil in a minute and then have a crack at the check test. Planned my route, written down the lesson plan, written some notes for the SE, so I think i'm as prepared as i'll ever be.....................Just really hope I get graded!!

Wish me luck smile

Paul

www.pwdriving.com

#16 28-01-10 15:45:52

martin_t
Verified Member

Come on, I'm going purple holding my breath!

Got my first CT next week - after 2 years, 2 months, 2 weeks and 2 days. Well, the last bit isn't quite true!

Jeez, hope I'm not graded 2 sad

But if you add up all the true bits it comes to 6 smile  Ahh, that's the attitude...

#17 28-01-10 16:07:25

pdw1977
Website

Well, had the check test but only got an educational as i've only been on the register for 3 months? The SE said that the lesson went really well, was obviously well thought out and that I conducted it in a very professional mannor. Pointed out a couple of things that I could have pointed out a little sooner, and made some suggestions on different methods that could be used.

She finished off by saying that it was a very good first check test and that I should 'keep up the good work'

So although I didn't get a grade I am pretty pleased at how it went, especially as she said I didn't do anything wrong.

Guess I'll be having another one in 3/6 months!! big_smile

Paul

www.pwdriving.com

#18 28-01-10 16:50:48

Aspyre

AND now you know they are nothing to worry about!

Think about getting a little extra training in the meantime as well...... then you can aim for a higher grade with more confidence smile

#19 28-01-10 21:14:08

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Good for you, it's good that you got some positive comments from the SE, now look forward to the next one  smile

#20 28-01-10 23:19:23

scannermanh
Verified Member

Well Done, hope you enjoyed the experience.
The Educational means, they think you're on the way to becoming a capable ADI so they may not be back as early as you think, but as ASPYRE said about some extra training, you do need to up you're game the next time because you HAVE to grade, the E's only for the first CT

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

#21 28-01-10 23:43:17

DH

You can breathe now, it's over!

#22 03-02-10 21:09:58

pdw1977
Website

Well, got the letter today with my next check test date.....22nd April.

I have to say that I was nervous as I opened it as I new what it was! sad

Having only got an educational for my first one I know I should have been expecting it, but I am already a little nervous as I know I have to get a grade! The SE said some really positive things after the first one and told me not to worry at all as the test went really well so I guess i've just got to brush up on a few things. I will have been doing the job for 6 months by the end of April, so hopefully I will have generally improved as an instructor. Already spoken to my trainer and booked in some further training. 

Just got to decide on what to teach now????. I have to say that after doing dual carriageways for my first one i am really tempted to do TITR!!

www.pwdriving.com

#23 07-02-10 09:47:34

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Paul
As mentioned, get some training and be careful. Very strange for an examiner to say 'You didnt get anything wrong'! If that was the case the grade would have been different! Many get 5 or 6 on first check test. Dont be led to believe an E is normal.

Polish up on the main techniques before the date. Remember how unbelievably simple driving instruction is. Plan a lesson for a pupil and make sure the route suits their level of ability, and above all make sure your level of instruction suits that ability.

And above all FIX THE FAULTS. Dont fall into the trap of retrospective instruction. Once you see a fault, fix it, not on the next lesson, or the one after, fix it there and then. Identify,analyse and correct. Hang on to it like a dog on heat and fix it, and do the same with the next one. Once something goes wrong, its now in your power to prevent a re occurence.

Remember true analysis is simple, WHY and potential Consequences of the action. correction is even simpler, dont let it happen again!

In the real world that is not always possible, but the examiner will want to see you do everything in your power to make it possible. On this leson, not the next one!

Most ADI's on their early check tests tend to focus and worry about the wrong things.

Lesson plan-route and structure/Level of instruction/Core comps/ is where you should focus

Good luck, but that wont help, its not luck! get the correct help which will not only help on CT, but on your instructional skills.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#24 07-02-10 10:03:26

pdw1977
Website

Hi Hector,

Thats why I found the result so strange. When the test had concluded and we had our little chat, she just told me how good it all went, and that she was really impressed at the fact I have only been teaching for a little while. I really thought I was going to get at least a 4 :?

Anyway, got to put that one behind me now and focus on the next one! I've got a couple of months to prepare it all, and get in some further training with my DIT trainer. I must say though, I do feel a little nervous about it because I tend to get a bit tongue tied when nervous and I REALLY want to get a grade this time.

Just got to decide what to do now???

Paul

www.pwdriving.com

#25 07-02-10 10:08:34

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Paul
Many say part 3 is unrelistic. In the way the instruction should be carried out it is not. Especially on new subjects like TIR. If your going for that fine. With a real pupil who is ready to do it. Do that. but do it properly!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

Board footer