You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 29-01-10 08:21:59

confused
Verified Member
Website

Check test "concern"

Got the letter through yesterday for my 2nd CT, end of March, no worries. Yet.

But the wording on one part concers me: basically it seems to say if I want to remain on the fleet register I must do a fleet CT? If I bring a learner the grade will only apply to the ADI register but it does say to remain on the fleet register I must do a feet CT.

Am I reading it wrong?

www.drivingzone.co.uk
DSA ADI & Fleet

29-01-10 08:21:59

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Check test "concern"

#2 29-01-10 08:45:10

finch

Reading is not wrong, if you do ADI check test you will also have to do a Fleet check test. If you do a Fleet check test the normal ADI check test does need to be taken.

#3 29-01-10 08:49:34

KevB
Verified Member
Website

I think finch missed a word out  the last part should read

"If you do a fleet check test, the normal ADI check test does NOT need to be taken."

#4 29-01-10 10:44:35

confused
Verified Member
Website

Cheers guys:

"If you are a registered on the Fleet Driver Trainer Register, you need to provide a full licence holder for the check test or opt for the examiner to role-play, in order to remain on the Fleet Register. If you only provide a pupil with a provisional licence, the result will only apply to the ADI Register."

It doesn't mention doing a later CT for fleet but if that's the way it works, that's what I'll do. However, it does seem a little harsh to remove someone from the Fleet Register just because they a) don't like role-play or b) don't have a flh to bring on the day. Hey-ho that's life I guess.

I've read over the notes for a fleet ct and as normal aren't that descriptive, can anyone describe what happened on theirs so I get a better idea of what'll happen on mine?

www.drivingzone.co.uk
DSA ADI & Fleet

#5 29-01-10 14:43:00

whodareswins
Verified Member

I don't believe the option exists to do the ADI Check Test followed (later) by a Fleet Check Test.

If you turn up with a learner, you will certainly do the ADI Check Test BUT you will be removed from the Fleet Register.

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#6 29-01-10 20:24:43

Trumper
Verified Member

Just turn up with someone who has a full licence your wife mum anyone. Just do a lesson on what they are weak at. Planning anticipation etc. Anything you like easy.

O.R.D.I.T. Dip D.I
Fleet reg
A.D.I  Car manual
Cardington A , D.I.A Special test, R.O.S.P.A , I.A.M

#7 29-01-10 20:37:35

reddragonbus
Verified Member

I've done 2 roleplay fleet check tests.

Start off with vehicle checks.
Do a occupation road risk presentation, I just print off the slides from a power point and use as a flip chart.
10 minute drive, pick your route carefully.
Stop, discuss
10 minute drive back doing remedial
Feedback

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#8 29-01-10 21:03:32

finch

Has previously stated, when I got my check test letter a while ago it was for ADI check test.When I rang the examiner to discusss ADI/Fleet test I was given the option of ADI check test followed by Fleet test at later date or just do a Fleet check test that was about 18mths ago I suppose policy could have changed?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 29-01-10 21:19:48

confused
Verified Member
Website

Just turn up with someone who has a full licence your wife mum anyone. Just do a lesson on what they are weak at. Planning anticipation etc. Anything you like easy.

Ain't that easy: my missus nor my mum can drive and my mum is in S Wales, I'm in Milton Keynes! Planning to take my sister-in-law as she does have a company car and does drive for her job.

I've done 2 roleplay fleet check tests.

Start off with vehicle checks.
Do a occupation road risk presentation, I just print off the slides from a power point and use as a flip chart.
10 minute drive, pick your route carefully.
Stop, discuss
10 minute drive back doing remedial
Feedback

So no commentary drive from me demonstrating how it should be done? Not they way I was told to do an assessment or a fleet CT when I trained that why I'm a little confuzzled.

www.drivingzone.co.uk
DSA ADI & Fleet

#10 30-01-10 00:49:26

whodareswins
Verified Member

You need to remember that a "normal" fleet training session with a business client could take a whole day. It's obvious that on a one hour checktest you cannot cover all aspects of this training in such detail.

For example (and typically), a full client presentation could take one hour so you need to show the Examiner a 10 minute overview of what you have prepared.

Just treat the examiner as a driver undergoing an Occupational Road Risk Assessment. Ask him about his function in the company, what he normally drives, how long he has been driving etc. Explain why the assessment is taking place and what format it will take. Treat him as an adult and use your "coaching" skills as opposed to your teaching skills. Be prepared for any faults to be quite "subtle" and do NOT use the "see it, say it and sort it" approach. You need to make a note of all aspects of his driving that require "attention" during the first part of the drive. Most importantly, you need to be able to prioritise any faults made in order of "risk". These must be explained and discussed at the side of the road. On the second part of the drive, concentrate on remedying these key risk areas. Mention any other points you noted from the first drive as the opportunity presents itself (and it probably will).

That should do you just fine.

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#11 30-01-10 08:19:17

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Confused

Dont take the misses or mum!-this would be a 'normal check test' and not a 'fleet check test' What to do on a fleet check test should have been covered on your fleet course by the way!

'Business client' is the key-A real occupational driver. Good to take a real company driver - If you want to make it really hard for yourself.

One point if you want to do a normal check test at this stage just do that! You dont have to do a fleet one, the DSA wont know you are fleet registered unless you tell them.

If your going to do the fleet one get some training for it, unless you regulary do fleet work, pm me if you want the format and a simple ORRP.
Regards Nige

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#12 31-01-10 11:50:51

Trumper
Verified Member

Well that is wrong info hector. For a fleet C/T  the driver must be a full licence holder. I took my mrs because my Part 2 pulled out at the last moment. Did anticipation/planning with her. Also what to do if our child was playing up. Got a 6 for it.

O.R.D.I.T. Dip D.I
Fleet reg
A.D.I  Car manual
Cardington A , D.I.A Special test, R.O.S.P.A , I.A.M

#13 31-01-10 13:08:52

hector
Verified Member
Website

Trumper that is not wrong info! A fleet client is one who drives for their occupation, if your wife does shes a fleet driver if she doesnt she isnt. Plain and simple facts.

Remember the fleet register is voluntary hence anything goes, for example not doing a fleet check test. Not having a seperate fleet check test form. Fortunately most DSA examiners dont understand 'fleet' either  wink Why would they? They have no experience of it.

For example Speed awareness and NDIS are simply not 'Fleet'.

You have been check tested and achieved the highest standards but not on fleet! Presumably you didnt want to do role play? And you proved you have the ability which would generally work on a 'fleet course' but very different from taking the Mrs out, you are a very brave man by the way OMG big_smile

Being able to run a fleet course properly and help a full licence holder improve their drivving are very different things. Most DSA staff assessing ADI's on Fleet Check tests have never seen a fleet course. They have simply had training from someone who has.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#14 31-01-10 15:20:48

on board training

Hi,

I had my Fleet Check Test and decided on the roleplay option. Gives the examiner much more to think about too.

Remember you don't have much time and can't really spend too long on any presentation.

I had corners/bends and general system work - so I established knowledge at start gave a briefing on what was going to take place setting aims and objectives and then had a short town drive of a few minutes picking up on mirror and system work and a short country stretch before then parking up to discuss his driving highlighting any faults, why they were faults and how we were going to sort them during what we were doing.

I then did more of a brief on limit points and cornering and off we went again over a 7 or 8 minute circular country route and then parked up at same place to discuss again and then did same route again to show how he would improve on his drive and did same route a third time but discussed on the move rather than stopping - and then picked up on town work for more of the mirrors and systems heading back to test centre.

At the time I had not been working for over 15 months due to recovery from accident so was pleased enough with the Grade 5 with pointers on how I had apparently just missed out on a 6. Keeps them at bay for a few years and by next check test hopefully I will have been working a bit more.

And definately get training or advice from other ADIs who know what to look for and expect.

Brian 

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 31-01-10 16:39:02

confused
Verified Member
Website

Dont take the misses or mum!-this would be a 'normal check test' and not a 'fleet check test' What to do on a fleet check test should have been covered on your fleet course by the way!

Cheers for actually reading my post, as I said neither my missus or mum can drive and was in reply to Trumper - tongue in cheek.

One point if you want to do a normal check test at this stage just do that! You dont have to do a fleet one, the DSA wont know you are fleet registered unless you tell them.

Then who the hell sent me my fleet badge??

www.drivingzone.co.uk
DSA ADI & Fleet

#16 31-01-10 17:02:36

Rob19

For a fleet check test any full licence holder can do. After all how would an SE know whether that person drives for work or not?
A company has a duty of care not only for its high mileage company vehicle users, but should also provide training for the members of staff who do the occasional journey. e.g. the office junior who does the odd errand to the local computer shop for a replacement ink cartridge.

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet Registered Trainer, RoSPA Diploma, IAM, Cardington Special Test Grade A, Driving Instructor Trainer, Full PCV licence holder, Member of DIA and MSA

#17 31-01-10 19:55:33

hector
Verified Member
Website

hector wrote:

Cheers for actually reading my post, as I said neither my missus or mum can drive and was in reply to Trumper - tongue in cheek.

Then who the hell sent me my fleet badge??

Tongue in cheek as was mine actually !

The DSA sent your fleet badge obviously? But a completely different part of the DSA. 

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#18 31-01-10 19:57:23

hector
Verified Member
Website

For a fleet check test any full licence holder can do. After all how would an SE know whether that person drives for work or not?
A company has a duty of care not only for its high mileage company vehicle users, but should also provide training for the members of staff who do the occasional journey. e.g. the office junior who does the odd errand to the local computer shop for a replacement ink cartridge.

As i said occupational drivers! Strange thread this. 

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

Board footer