You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 31-01-10 09:43:24

standon11
Verified Member

b+ e trailer requirements

hi guys,iv'e been instructing for 3yrs now & have decided i wish to add a little variety to the business & would like to take up b+e training.i'm on a tight budget aswell.is it correct that the weight of the trailer must be at least 1000kg?

31-01-10 09:43:24

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: b+ e trailer requirements

#2 31-01-10 09:52:30

KevB
Verified Member
Website

The MAM of the trailer must be in excess of 1 tonne, but the unladen weight can be less.

It must be boxed (or canvas framed) so no vision is afforded throught the rear of the towing vehicle as well as being braked.

The full spec can be found in DT1 from directgov/motoring website.

#3 31-01-10 11:11:16

standon11
Verified Member

cheers kevin your a star as usual.hopefully i may be able to get something that my little mitsubishi colt to tow as i don't wanna change cars or purchase another really.iv'e seen a few instructors on websites using the ones with canvas covers.the box van trailers seem to be very expensive.

#4 31-01-10 12:42:26

GreenLight
Verified Member
Website

Afternoon Chris,

As ever, Kevin is absolutely correct with the information concerning the DSA minimum vehicle requirements.

So I think you might wish to consider who your clients will be?

Down here in the South West, they mainly need to tow a horse trailer. Or a works trailer for their company.

In both cases they will have a towing vehicle so I just provide the trailer. (And the mirrors, L-plates etc. etc).

Your trailer will be the main investment. As Kevin says, it must not allow any view to the rear via the interior mirror of the towing vehicle. So if your client arrives in a Defender on off-road tyres, your trailer will need to be quite tall!

B+E training is great fun. Let us know how you get on!

Larry

#5 31-01-10 13:00:13

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Don't forget to check your vehicles towing capacity for a braked trailer to make sure you match your trailer to the car.  One instructor I know had to have his trailer down graded with different hitch and re plated to keep it all legal. 

Totally agree with Larry - research prospective client base, are you going to target agricultural types, horse box towers, caravanners? 

Good luck it is a lot of fun, very rewarding and a quick client turnover.
smile

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#6 19-02-10 19:19:16

bigred
Verified Member
Website

I was looking at doing B + E but found out it's not within the scope of the Adi regulations and any one with a B+E licence can teach it.

Is that a bit mad or what?

Regards,

#7 19-02-10 19:35:46

The Saint
Verified Member

Just the same as Cat C and D

I teach Cat D and D1, but I don't have to be an ADI to do it. Anyone can, if they have the right letters on their licence.

From April, you have to have passed the test for that Cat, but that's all.

And how much damage can you do in a vehicle that size!!

Crazy.......

Did you think you didn't have to choose it?
That I alone could win or lose it?
In all the places we were hiding love
What was it we were thinking of?

#8 20-02-10 15:17:30

standon11
Verified Member

well traded my colt in last week & got a astra 1.7cdti,the colt was just to small.although the new car is older i love it & will be a decent enough towing vehicle for what i require.spent 3 hours at a local lgv centre going through the test requirements with a gentleman there & then spent abou 1.5 hrs practising the reverse mano,had about 8 attempts at it & must admit i found it difficult but managed it after about 5 attempts but not very comfortable with it when we finished,need lots more practise myself before i would consider showing someone else how to do it.
one thing putting me off buying a trailer is the fact i need a large area to practise the reverse & would need someone with a large enough area to give me permission to practise in.any ideas people or where do you paractise?.

#9 11-04-10 22:41:03

Russ
Verified Member
Website

don't forget in 2012/13 the real mass of the trailer will be implemented.

the trailer must have a plated weight of 850kg (it must weigh that unladen). so the carring capasity (MAM) is going to be a lot higher.

so will your car be able to tow?
have you bough a trailer under 850 kg unladen, as ballast wll not be allowed.

but as c waymentioned you can down grade the weight of the trailer to match the towing vehuicle.

just have too remembe rthat is you use it for moving bits and bobs, you only have a small margin too work with.

russ

Board footer