You are not logged in.

#1 28-01-10 09:07:36

dog
Verified Member

What can I tow?

I got my licence after 1997 (obviously). The car is a Peugeot 306 2.0 turbo diesel with 130 horsepower and a lot of torque. What's the most I can tow? A friend is moving house today and they have 2 trailers but only 1 car with a tow bar, and my car has a tow bar and I'm helping them but I need to know what I can legally tow with my licence. I've looked at the directgov site and it's so confusing - all I see is loads of numbers.

Thanks.

Ps. I have towed a car a short distance before, and it had no problems pulling the weight.

28-01-10 09:07:36

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What can I tow?

#2 28-01-10 10:05:13

Daveyboy
Verified Member

I believe you can tow a braked trailer up to 750kgs.

Daveyboy

#3 28-01-10 10:21:22

dog
Verified Member

Isn't there some sort of total car+trailer weight limit too though?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 28-01-10 11:12:23

KevB
Verified Member
Website

there is no requirement for the trailer to be braked (unless its MAM is in excess of 1 tonne).

Provided the trailers' MAM does not exceed the cars unladen weight, and the MAM of both the car and trailer together does not exceed 3.5 tonnes, then the combination can be driven on a B licence.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 28-01-10 11:23:55

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Ps. I have towed a car a short distance before, and it had no problems pulling the weight.

Be VERY careful regarding towing another car. Contrary to popular belief, many drivers are not authorised to tow another car EXCEPT to the nearest place of safety.

This means the towed vehicle must be in a place of danger, such as on a bend. It may be towed a SHORT distance to a place of safety only.

#6 28-01-10 16:02:49

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
The unbraked trailer limit is 750kg MAM

#7 28-01-10 16:27:25

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Peg. smile

#8 04-02-10 05:42:59

dog
Verified Member

Think I may look at some B+E lessons, any idea roughly how much it costs to get through the course?

#9 04-02-10 06:18:51

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Hi Dog, this will totally depend on who you chose to train with, prices for B+E lessons vary massively compared to normal driving lessons.  Some companies will insist on doing a course of a number of days with the test at the end, others charge by the hour and will book a test when you are up to standard.

We do a 3 hr assessment on our candidates to work out what additional work they require and that will depend on their current experience. If they have towed before and are confident at reversing the trailer we get them through on average between 6 and 10 hours.  Novices will need a lot more time unless they prove to be a natural. 

I have seen prices from £25 per hour up to £40 per hour.

Have you got some companies in your area that offer the training?

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#10 04-02-10 14:04:21

dog
Verified Member

I've found a local company which does it. Like you say it is pretty pricey.

I think I might put my tow bar on and see if I can borrow a small trailer and get some practice with that before going for large trailer lessons.

I take it the only difference with a small trailer and a big trailer is the fact that you can't see over a big trailer. And obviously larger trailers have brakes etc which need to be maintained.

Would like to be able to drive a 7.5tonner one day, I guess this is the first step on the ladder lol

#11 04-02-10 19:40:16

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
While I use a motto which says "If you can't push it don't tow it." that does not apply to small box trailers.
If you can't see a small trailer in the mirrors when the rig is straight, then you are likely to really struggle reversing it becausew it will have kicked off to the side before you are aware of it.
The shorter the distance between the hitch and the axle the more severe this effect will be.
So if you want to get a light trailer and practice make sure it is wide enough to be seen in the mirrors and as long a distance infront of the axle as you can get.
A trailer for test has, I believe, to be one that does not allow a view over the top of it, but a trailer for practice could be high enough to see through the back window without totally obscuring your view

#12 06-02-10 16:48:48

dog
Verified Member

I don't mind a challenge, I'll try and get something really difficult to manoeuvre. big_smile

Do you need extended side mirrors when towing a large trailer?

#13 06-02-10 16:52:29

KevB
Verified Member
Website

No, but you will need to fit additional mirrors for the examiner

#14 06-02-10 17:10:12

dog
Verified Member

Ugh questions questions questions...

Will I need to do another theory test before doing the B+E test?

#15 06-02-10 21:05:21

KevB
Verified Member
Website

no, its an upgrade within the group.

Board footer