You are not logged in.

#1 23-01-10 17:07:35

m0bnd

Use of mobile phone during lesson????

I am currently on a pinky and would like to ask for clarification on this matter.
I was at a bus stop when a driving school car came past me (a large southern counties school, name could be given but don't think it woud help!), pupil was driving and appeared to be in control of the car - however, the instructor was happily on his mobile having a good smiley conversation.
The question is this......I think I know the answer!
Who is ultimately in charge of the car?  Instructor - now breaking the law on phone?  Or pupil?

I would never use my phone while giving a lesson (for free or for fee) and never do, my phone is on silent and will only look when any lesson is finished and I am stationary.

23-01-10 17:07:35

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Use of mobile phone during lesson????

#2 23-01-10 17:33:41

Daveyboy
Verified Member

When and if the new Code of Practice comes in; by that I mean made compulsory. It will included the following.

"The instructor will not make or receive phone calls whilst conducting a lesson."

Daveyboy

#3 23-01-10 17:52:53

m0bnd

Thanks for the reply.
So that means that currently he is legally 'allowed' to use his mobile while conducting a lesson?

#4 23-01-10 18:01:49

Spike
Verified Member

If he was using a hand held phone he was breaking the law. An ADI was prosecuted for this a while ago.

#5 23-01-10 18:06:39

Daveyboy
Verified Member

Currently the instructor is NOT allowed to use the mobile whilst instructing. As you correctly state the instructor is in charge of the vehicle.

Currently it's down to the police, even when the CoP comes in and there is at the moment no time frame for this It will be up to the police to enforce it still.

However if the instructor receives a fixed penalty from the police, plus points. The registrar will decide if the instructor is fit and proper to hold an instructors licence. This can happen at the moment.

Remember that when this becomes compulsory all instructor will have to sign up to it in order to stay on the register.

Daveyboy

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 23-01-10 18:14:18

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Not just instructors.

It is an offence for the driver or a SUPERVISING Driver to hold whilst using an electronic communication device listed in the Mobile Telephone  legislation.

do you know if the person driving was on a lesson?  Might it have been a full licence holder?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 23-01-10 18:27:28

Roadmaster
Verified Member

pupil was driving and appeared to be in control of the car

Are you assuming that a) it was a provisional licence holder driving    and  b) it was an instructor sat in the passenger seat  or do you know them both?

#8 23-01-10 18:50:59

Spike
Verified Member

That's a good point. I always drive back after a test. The first thing successful candidates do is get straight on the phone to all their friends and family. This could have been a similar situation

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 23-01-10 21:00:28

m0bnd

Not just instructors.

It is an offence for the driver or a SUPERVISING Driver to hold whilst using an electronic communication device listed in the Mobile Telephone  legislation.

do you know if the person driving was on a lesson?  Might it have been a full licence holder?

I knew this would come up!  I am not 100% sure, however the car that was being driven had the roof box on and the young driver lives in my road which is where he ended his lesson and the car dropped him off and moved on.  As I understand during my Pt 2 training, my tutor removed all 'L' plates from the car and only put them back on when we went in to Pt 3 mode!

#10 23-01-10 23:30:04

ExAdiNigel

mognd

You may be correct in your thinking that a learner was driving and the accompanying full licence holder was on a hand held phone.  On the other hand you may be adding 2 + 2 and getting 5.

There is no compulsion to remove 'L' plates if a full licence holder is driving.

It is against the law for anyone accompanying a provisional licence holder to use a hand held phone (as has been mentioned above) but be very careful about jumping to conclusions.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#11 25-01-10 19:58:07

m0bnd

mognd

You may be correct in your thinking that a learner was driving and the accompanying full licence holder was on a hand held phone.  On the other hand you may be adding 2 + 2 and getting 5.

There is no compulsion to remove 'L' plates if a full licence holder is driving.

It is against the law for anyone accompanying a provisional licence holder to use a hand held phone (as has been mentioned above) but be very careful about jumping to conclusions.

Nigel

Understood about jumping to conclusions, but when I said 'young driver' I should have said '17 year old lookalike'!  However, I am getting older and 'kids' are looking younger so will go and find out from said driver as he lives about 5 doors up from me on the opposite side of the road.

On another note, my niece has moved from this group of instructors to my trainer due to what I understand as 'unprofessional tuition'.  Also I currently have a pupil from the same group because they used to upset her, making her feel like not having another lesson with them.

Any other comments will be appreciated.

#12 25-01-10 21:17:47

Roadmaster
Verified Member

so will go and find out from said driver as he lives about 5 doors up from me on the opposite side of the road

You seem to be desperate to prove a point.  Are you going to tell him you want to know his age and if he's a provisional holder because you stirring up trouble for his instructor on a forum?
Why not go the all the way and ask for his instructor's name too so you can publish that.

You should concentrate on learning to be an ADI, so you can be 'professional'.

#13 25-01-10 22:11:48

m0bnd

so will go and find out from said driver as he lives about 5 doors up from me on the opposite side of the road

You seem to be desperate to prove a point.  Are you going to tell him you want to know his age and if he's a provisional holder because you stirring up trouble for his instructor on a forum?
Why not go the all the way and ask for his instructor's name too so you can publish that.

You should concentrate on learning to be an ADI, so you can be 'professional'.

That's not what I had set out to do...... I am not getting $$//@ and want to stab any instructors in the back here ( I didn't mention any names as said in the original post) I just asked a question to clear my mind and have been drawn in to an existing conversation about the legalities of this.  I am learning to be professional and to be an ADI.
Maybe I should ask, and maybe I should publish it here - name and shame????? Not what I had set out to learn, but hey ho 'Roadmaster' if that's what you want?  Now I know the 'level' of how you think and not what I believe!

#14 25-01-10 22:22:40

Roadmaster
Verified Member

I am not getting $$//@ and want to stab any instructors in the back here

Really?  So if you only wanted to know the legalities (which you should know having passed part 1)  why are you wanting to go & ask the driver?

#15 25-01-10 23:04:33

DH

If the instructor was using his mobile during a lesson then he is an idiot, pure and simple. Not just for safety or legality reasons but because of the example he is setting his pupil and for reasons of customer service.

As with most of their complaints about instructors, learner drivers tend not to say anything but they hate it when an instructor is on the phone and why shouldn't they? They've paid for the instructors full attention and that isn't what they are getting. Many years ago when I was learning how to make my £30K and work whatever hours I liked, an ADI trainer answered his phone during a training session. I never used him again and neither did anyone I ever told about him.

#16 26-01-10 12:18:50

m0bnd

I am not getting $$//@ and want to stab any instructors in the back here

Really?  So if you only wanted to know the legalities (which you should know having passed part 1)  why are you wanting to go & ask the driver?

Sorry, didn't know that question was in part 1!

#17 26-01-10 18:51:51

scannermanh
Verified Member

Hi m0bnd
Don't get sucked in to $$//@ arguments from replies to your post.
there are loads of posters who for various reasons get off by ripping in
to other posters who may not be so secure in their knowledge.
Please carry on posting with your questions, you will generally get an answer in amongst the rubbish you sometimes get.
As for "naughty ADIs" you will be amazed at what I see some ADIs do. We all slip sometimes as you may.

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

#18 26-01-10 19:52:04

george
Verified Member
Website

If the instructor was using his mobile during a lesson then he is an idiot, pure and simple. Not just for safety or legality reasons but because of the example he is setting his pupil and for reasons of customer service.

As with most of their complaints about instructors, learner drivers tend not to say anything but they hate it when an instructor is on the phone and why shouldn't they? They've paid for the instructors full attention and that isn't what they are getting. Many years ago when I was learning how to make my £30K and work whatever hours I liked, an ADI trainer answered his phone during a training session. I never used him again and neither did anyone I ever told about him.

Good post DH smile

I think the original poster knew the answer to his question before he asked it. I think he was curious to see the reaction he got from his peers, the people he looks up to on this forum for advice and support.

I think he's getting his answers.

Paul Shackleton DSA ADI.-----DSA Fleet, Diamond Advanced, NVQ L3 In driver Training & Assessment, A1 & Ordit

#19 26-01-10 21:55:49

m0bnd

DH wrote:

Good post DH smile

I think the original poster knew the answer to his question before he asked it. I think he was curious to see the reaction he got from his peers, the people he looks up to on this forum for advice and support.

I think he's getting his answers.

Thanks George, DH and Scannermanh and any others on here with all the helpful comments - all are very greatfully received.  I am sure Roadmaster may be putting another spin or side on the topic and may allways be good and 'healthy' to talk about.  I take all comments seriously and as said on this one that I would never detract from the lesson content and be as professional as I would hope to ever be (maybe better than previous instructors before me big_smile).

#20 26-01-10 22:16:56

DH

Asking the driver isn't necessarily something I would recommend in every case. If I was to see a trainee instructor doing something strange such as standing outside the car while giving instruction through the window on bay parking (seen recently) or trying a left reverse into the entrance to a bus depot (even more recent) then I might go over, ask for a word in private and politely point out the drawbacks.

If I saw an ADI doing something strange I would probably wait until the next time I saw him/her in the test centre and gently take the p***, all the time bearing in mind that I did some strange things as a PDI myself.

#21 26-01-10 23:09:09

DH

I would never use my phone while giving a lesson (for free or for fee) and never do, my phone is on silent and will only look when any lesson is finished and I am stationary.

I know you've read the rules but just to make certain, be very careful because if the engine is running and the phone is in your hand you could be looking at 3 points. There are a lot of problems with the definition of 'driving'. In the case of mobile phones the wheels don't even have to be turning for the cops to take an interest. I have heard of cases where they have taken a reasonable view and let it go with a quiet chat but I'm not going to test that out.

I suppose it's possible on a really hot day/really cold day that you could argue you needed the engine running for some other purpose such as keeping the aircon/heater going but I'm not going to test that one out either.

#22 27-01-10 16:42:50

Dave G

Hi All

Yes it is an offence under the Regulation 110 Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 "To drive a motor on a road while using a hand held mobile phone" it is also an offence to "Supervise a provisional licence holder if the supervisor is using a hand held mobile phone while the provisional licence holder is driving a motor vehicle on a road".

The term driving is defined as being in charge of the steering and propulsion of the vehicle but must fall within the ordinary meaning of the word driving( a grey area in law, many stated cases which are mind boggling)

There are exceptions to the law :

At the time of the alleged offence he is using the telephone to call the emergency services or he is acting in response to a genuine emergency and it is unpractical or unsafe to stop the vehicle.

In the case of a supervisor - If the provisional licence holder ceases driving while the call is being made.

Sorry ladies, some law is written and is gender specific but relates to females and males.

PHEW!!!!! Im off for a lie down!

Regards
Dave

Part 1- 100%/57%
Part2- 1 Minor
Part3-5-4
Check Test -Grade6
C&Guilds 7307 Teaching in Adult & Further Education
DipNEBSM

#23 27-01-10 23:40:21

bald eagle

HI
   Recently i witnessed a police officer driving out of a fast food chain. Whilst steering around a corner he took a bite of a burger, The student i was teaching also noticed this and said surely if you cant use a phone then should you also not eat when you are driving. I informed him that he could be prosecuted for failing to have proper control of the car. Shortly after I contacted the local police to ask why would somebody be prosecuted for the above when a police driver does it openly and that my learner had also witnessed this, how can I say do not do this when youre officers wheredoing it.
  His final reply was ( If you where driving a car and using a phone/drinking/smoking/eating or anythig else and your car was not under your full control then you would be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention, or driving dangerously) both these offences are at the discretion of the officer charging you at the time of offence. I then asked what where the qualification of the typical panda car or van driver (police) I am still awaiting his official reply. But if I was to commit this offence ( which wont happen ) I would go to court and defend my action as to whether the car was not under my full controll?

#24 28-01-10 00:32:28

DH

I believe the current standards are Basic, Standard and Advanced. Basic means you can drive a Police vehicle for routine, non-emergency work, Standard means you can respond to operational calls and Advanced speaks for itself. I believe there are other courses to be taken as required depending on the role of the officer concerned.

The public perception seems to be that the average Police driver takes liberties while the advanced drivers are red hot.That perception is not helped when you get a copper who thinks the uniform gives a measure of immunity. The truth is probably that the vast majority are just fine which is why the one you saw stands out. Like driving instructors, the bad driving gets noticed because our cars are liveried up.

I guess the officer you saw was Basic.

Board footer