You are not logged in.

#1 17-11-09 08:19:00

triplea35

Slow Process - Planning training

Hi.
I was given early retirement at rather short notice and hadnt really thought out or planned for a second career. I am really motivated into training to be an ADI. I got a copy of the Focus Driving Test  software and after a few days refresher study am regularly achieving high 90's in the Theory and mid 60's in the HP.
In the meantime I ordered the application pack from the DSA and then rang for the CRB application only to be told it takes approx 6 to 8 weeks to process. Only then can I apply to take the Part 1 and presume there is going to be another delay for the appointment.
Has anyone a rough guide to the process times for each Part?
I have had some advanced driver training in the past so would hope I can get through the Part 2 with relatively minimum training ( say 6 to 10 hours)  but dont want to start this too early if it is going to be 4 to 5 months before I can take Part 2. At what stage is it time to focus on Part 3? before or after Part 2 is passed?   
I am going the 'Independent' route so need to plan and organsie my training to achieve best results with minimal outlay.

Thanks   

17-11-09 08:19:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Slow Process - Planning training

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 17-11-09 09:32:38

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Rushing doesn't work...of course you can get the hours in, the more hours the better, you need to be prepared for reality, not just the tests.  Part 2 is not like most advanced tests, its DSA or the highway.  Also there is Part 2 training and part 2 training - ie this is where you should learn about Part 3 too.....

Look at the poor sucess rates and it makes more sense, good training, many hours and hard work is the best option. 

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#3 17-11-09 10:59:28

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Part 2 driving ability is not about being  able to pass part 2.

It is the MINIMUM standard to which you are going to have to drive for the rest of your days.

So, it can never be too early to train for part 2. In fact, the earlier the better, as this will enable you to adopt that standard as your natural drivng ability.

I've read accounts of CRB's  taking 2 weeks to 6 months.

Part 1 booking delays vary from 1 week to 6 weeks depending on location.
Part 2 delays are 1 week to 10 weeks depending on location.

Cancellations can shorten the waiting time.

#4 17-11-09 13:04:15

Tregster
Verified Member
Website

don't forget..... once you have the CRB, you can only then apply to enter the PDI Register. Only when you are included on the register and have your registration number can you apply for your part 1 test.
I have recently had my CRB and Registration number. I've always been a good boy, so there were no skeletons in the closet and for both applications it took about 6 weeks all-in.
The earliest part 1 test I could get was for a month after the date I booked it, but that's only because I wanted a Saturday morning test. I don't know about the wait for part 2 & 3.

Passed Part 1 - 08/12/09. 2nd attempt 99/65
Passed Part 2 - 20/01/10. 1st attempt 'Zero Faults'
Passed Part 3 - 29/06/10. 1st attempt 4 - 5

#5 17-11-09 16:13:29

Aspyre

triplea before you do anything are you 100% certain your CRB check is going to be totaly clear of any convictions?? I've heard stories of people signing on to courses to become ADIs and it has turned out they have points on their licences or worse and should never have even considered it.

Unless you get very lucky (nothing to do with CRB) it will take at least 12-18 months to get through all three parts and more likely closer to 2 years or even more.

Mathematically it could be done in 6 months if you can get the tests (but in some places the standard waiting list is several months) but that is totally ignoring the practicalities of training.

Don't take this wrong..... but you really seem to be rushing into this as just a quick fix to having retired.. Be careful because it is by no means guaranteed you will ever make it even if it really has been the only thing you have wanted to do since you could crawl.

#6 17-11-09 19:07:09

mrbrightside
Verified Member

12-18 Months is a realistic time frame for passing all 3 tests providing there are no major delays with the CRB check and waiting times for tests. This is also providing you have no problems with any of the training and pass each part 1st time. Of course it can be done quicker.

There is nothing stopping you calling a local instructor trainer and starting your part 2 training now. They can show you the required standards, and you can get plenty of private practice in as well. Don't try to do too much all at once though. I did Part 1 studying and some Part 2 training while waiting for my CRB check. Then when my CRB came back, I took my theory straight away and passed. I continued doing a bit more part 2 training, and my trainer threw in a bit of Part 3. I didn't move on to Part 3 properly until I'd passed Part 1 and 2.

Also, be careful- you may feel that you've considered everything, but Part 3 is extremely difficult. Part 3 is undoubtedly the hardest part and will take longer than the other parts. It's not easy taking someone who's never driven before and teaching them how to drive- you need high standards of the required skills to succeed. Also consider letting someone else with very little experience drive your car.

I sometimes worry that whenever somebody asks how long it might take to qualify, they are at risk of trying to rush through each section. Just look at the time frame it took me from passing part 1 to being fully qualified (dates in my signature).

Anyway, good luck, and keep reading the info on this forum.

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

#7 21-11-09 18:31:13

triplea35

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the advice and will take it on board.

#8 24-12-09 18:07:29

triplea35

Well the CRB check arrived on the doormat this morning so has took five weeks.
I had an ADI3 application form in the DSA pack but it stated you can apply online. Tried to apply online but only got so far before it stated unable to continue and contact the helpline. So have reverted to the paper application and got it in the post this afernoon. I KNOW its Christmas Eve and unlikely a dedicated DSA official will want to read it over his Xmas lunch big_smile but I just wanted to get it out of the way.
The one query I have is the information booklet states the DSA may ask for 2 character references but it does not ask for them on the application form. Can anyone tell me what the procedure is now and how long it is likely to be before I can apply to take Part 1.

Thanks & Merry Christmas.

#9 24-12-09 18:35:14

Aspyre

Have a look at this document triplea.

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/documents/instruc … _notes.pdf

Just give them the name/address/phone no. of two suitable referees.. I gave my then business associate and a friend I've known for many years.

Type it on a separate sheet of paper and enclose it.

#10 22-01-10 20:40:20

triplea35

After posting the application on the 24th December I received my acceptance letter as a PDI on the 20th, although the letter was actually dated the 12th so had been awhile in the post. I had not included details of referees in the application and have had no further communication on the matter.
Next step is to take Part 1 and checking online could have booked for the following day but thought better of it and booked for next week to allow some further revision.
It is gathering pace now, just had an assessment drive today and have decided to go with LDC, but thats another story.

#11 23-01-10 07:41:11

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Just a thought have you done a Business Plan is there room for yet another driving school? What are you going to offer that is better than the other driving schools why should joe blows come to you?

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#12 23-01-10 08:56:54

triplea35

Hi Tony
Thanks for that. I have/am considering this constantly, drawing in ideas etc from boards like this one, other school websites etc. I do have a friend who is a business start up advisor for BusinessLink who has given me some good  advice on a business plan, uniqueness, marketing etc and I have also enrolled for a couple of presentations on related matters.
I do have few ideas that are mainly related to marketing and don't all revolve around offering the cheapest/free introductory lessons!
In all  honesty, I would not like to rely  on  being an instructor as a main income/full time occupation but for a supplemental income and personal satisfaction I feel it is what I want to pursue.
In the short term though I have to concentrate on getting through Part 1 and working towards Part 2. From yesterdays assessment drive I certainly learned that I have a lot of hard work to do to get me upto Part 2 standard!   

#13 23-01-10 11:45:57

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi Adrian

So many Trainee ADI's do not think about it. Good luck with your training I've found the best advice Business Link gave me was "Why should Joe Blogs come to you rather than someone else offering the same service" Have a look t my site & see how I answered that question.
Tony 

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

Board footer