You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 05-04-05 08:20:06

adi
Verified Member
Website

corsa - oil pump

Hi,
To keep a very very long story short:
Oil pump replaced under warranty mid april 2004
Oil pump leaking again
Dealership says it should be stripped checked and possibly replaced
Warranty now finished 67k on clock
Apparantly, guarantees finish on warranty repaired items when car warranty finishes?
Vauxhall not willing to contribute to costs
Replaced oil pump only 11 months old
You can't break oil pump, pump must have been defective or fited incorrectly?

I have put forward a complaint to vauxhall, where would i stand if i took legal action? I can't see how i should pay for this repair, an oil pump shouldn't fail on a car as early as this let alone twice!

05-04-05 08:20:06

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: corsa - oil pump

#2 05-04-05 18:08:03

Anonymous

Hi ADI,
My background is from tv & video servicing now into Telecomunications &
Broadband internet. Now from the servicing aspect all replecement parts should have been brand new, most new parts have 12mth manufacturers werranty. So your 2nd pump is under warranty, labour to refit may not be? Secondly my old job video heads brand new 12 mth warranty as long as fitted corectly, you would know in seconds if you had just snaped the new heads, your pump been fitted for ages so no fault in fitting.
This is my understanding and your local trading standards will help if the above is incorect for car servicing. By trading standards law all servicing and parts used must be adaquate and do the job that the customer is paying for.

#3 05-04-05 21:31:13

adi
Verified Member
Website

Well after having a whinge to Vauxhall they have decided to contribute 50% which i think is jolly well good of them. Even though my current car is a 'friday afternoon' job they do seem to be quite good in helping me out. Don't feel so angry now!

#4 06-04-05 01:04:32

simonmd

Trading Standards law says that any product, with or without waranty, must be replaced if it does not last a 'reasonable amount of time'. Do you think that it's reasonable for a pump to last more than 11 months?

#5 17-04-05 21:05:38

Mmm

i dont know about this particular car but is the pump defective insofar as youre losing oil pressure, or is there just oil seeping from it? if the latter then it could be the gasket has not been fitted properly (ie clean+dry, often difficult on an oil pump which should of course be primed with oil) and then that would be workmanship rather than the part itself?

#6 17-04-05 21:48:48

adi
Verified Member
Website

Well it's been in for 2 days now and i am collecting it in the morning having had yet a second new pump fitted. The failing pump forces oil to leak under pressure. I caught it early having seen oil weeping around the pump housing. You know when it's really had it when you start finding nice oil patches wherever you park! The thing i was worried about is oil getting onto the timing belt causing it to slip a notch or two (ouch!).
I don't know whether it's down to dodgy parts, dodgy workmanship or just a crap vauxhall engine rather than the good old isuzi lump that used to be fitted, either way i just need to get back out on the road! and it doesn't feel so bad having some help with the cost!

#7 23-04-05 12:14:20

Anonymous

Are you talking about the new common rail diesel? 1.3 or 1.7?  Finally, whose lump is it now?

Wessex

#8 23-04-05 17:30:10

adi
Verified Member
Website

It's the dodgy 1.7dti, i believe the old shape pre 2000 corsas i used to have had diesels that were actually isuzu.

#9 23-04-05 17:38:16

jiffers

as it goes if you have any part replace under the warrantee on most cars and lets say there is only 1 week left on the cars warrantee you will only have 1 weeks warrantee on the part if you paid any money to the 1st repair yes it will have 12 mths warrantee but seeing you do not pay anything you only have the week
hope this helps

jiffers

#10 23-04-05 21:36:01

adi
Verified Member
Website

Yeah, it's all been fixed again now half paid by Vauxhall after i kicked up a fuss. New oil pump etc the good thing is the cambelt is getting changed more than it should so it would have cost me what i have paid to have that changed. Vauxhall are looking at 100k before changing these belts, for the work a driving school car does it's worth having them changed about 60k. The amount of idling our engines do and the 8000 or so manouvres per year the engine may just as well have driven 120k per year. (add up how many manouvres you do on a average day and times by 52! )

#11 24-04-05 08:19:18

jiffers

the only thing that will have an efect on the cam belt is the amount of stalling the car goes through as when a car stalls the belt would slightly snatch because the crank will stop suddenly but the cam will want to continue but this in it self is very minimal.

jiffers

#12 24-04-05 08:35:50

adi
Verified Member
Website

In my view over 100k is too long for a belt change. I have seen belts fade in less than a third of that mileage on other vehicles i have owned. Just like the oil change should be every 20k! I would normally change every 10k and with this job 5k is even better. The manufacturers seem to be giving in to the publics demand for vehicles that can seem to go on forever with nothing spent on them other than putting fuel in! smile

#13 24-04-05 09:14:13

jiffers

it used to say in renault handbook 72000 miles or 5yrs but now it says it should be changed when needed a bit of a cop out if you ask me.
the reson the oil change interval has change is 2 fold oils nowadays is a lot better and lease companys try to get the most from their money.
when i started in the trade 18yrs ago oil changes on renault diesels was 5000miles and petrols were 6000miles

jiff

Board footer