You are not logged in.

#1 14-12-09 18:50:22

kat1990

undertaking

Hi

can someone please explain undertaking to me? im not quite sure i fully understood my instructor... Is it classed as undertaking if you are on a road with a 30 speed limit?

thanks

14-12-09 18:50:22

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: undertaking

#2 14-12-09 20:26:16

sipin
Verified Member

Undertaking is when you overtake a moving vehicle on it's left hand side, (the speed limit does not matter).

In normal driving situations you should not do this, however there is an exception, if the vehicle you are following is signalling to turn right and there is safe room to pass on the left then you are allowed to undertake, see rule 163

Hope this helps

Even when things go wrong you can learn from them

#3 14-12-09 20:31:24

martin_t
Verified Member

Undertaking (or, more correctly, overtaking on the left) is when one vehicle moves past another moving vehicle with the slower vehicle to the right of the faster vehicle.

Typically, this means a car in the left lane passes a car in the right lane.

Contrary to popular belief, it is not illegal.

#4 14-12-09 21:39:18

kat1990

thanks. does that mean i shouldnt do it in the driving test?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 14-12-09 21:59:35

jay666
Website

I would recommend not to to do it on test. smile

Jay

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 14-12-09 22:06:58

reddragonbus
Verified Member

thanks. does that mean i shouldnt do it in the driving test?

I would discuss this in depth with your own driving instructor, there are times when passing another vehicle on your right is appropriate, there are times when it is not appropriate.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#7 21-01-10 08:48:15

dog
Verified Member

Old thread but just to add to this, if you have a dual carriageway (40mph limit) where the left and right lanes split at the end of the road to go in different directions, you are in the left lane doing 40 and the car in the right lane is driving slower, would you be penalised for passing him on the left (effectively undertaking) even if you were planning to stay in the left lane?

Also lets say on a national speed limit dual carriageway 2 lanes, you are in the outside lane passing slower vehicles, when you come up behind another car in the outside lane in front of you driving much slower even though the inside lane is now clear. Do you sit behind them at say 50mph and wait for them to move over or can you undertake? Reason being as I did exactly this last week, the woman obviously had no idea the left lane was clear or that I was behind her, I moved a little closer to her than you normally would, gave a quick flash of my high beam to try and wake her up but nothing. Eventually I went over to the left and undertook her, literally 10 seconds later a police Range Rover comes flying up the outside lane with blues and two's flashing, she still didn't move over so they did the same thing and undertook her!

#8 21-01-10 14:46:16

Aspyre

Based purely on what you have described no you shouldn't be faulted on that first example.... you can pass a car on the left in the situation described as long as you are not trying to gain an advantage.

On the second example that is EXACTLY what the no undertaking thing is all about.. You are doing it to gain an advantage and that would make it unacceptable.

The Police doing it is different..... they also break speed limits and go through red lights when they are on a call.. Doesn't mean you can.

I'm sure someone else will point this out..... but all sitatuions are different and I stress that the answrs NO and YES in the above are strictly in relation to the specific examples you gave.. Also, examiners are not perfect and just because you SHOULDn'T be penalised for some thing doesn't mean you won't be.

#9 21-01-10 15:58:46

KevB
Verified Member
Website

If she didnt see you flashing, and didnt see the police cars lights flashing, how do you know if she is paying enough attention to you passing her on her left?

My interpretation of undertaking, is to position yourself on the left for the purpose of overtaking another vehicle.

If you are already in the left lane, and have not moved there for the purpose of overtaking another vehicle, then you are passing the vehicle and not overtaking.

The highway code is often interpreted as saying overtaking is only allowed if in slow moving traffic and the traffic on the right is moving slower than that on the left. I would suggest this is passing and not overtaking.

As far as your lady on the DC is concerned, if you have been behind her for a reasonable time, then provided care is taken, I too would move to the left to ovetake. But I wouldnt do so immediately, I would give her time to respond appropriately to my presence first.

If everyone just sat behind grandma driving at 50mph in lane 3, for the whole duration of their journey, what kind of danger is being created further back down the road. A common sense approach in these situations is required.
give them time to move to the left, and only move left yourself when satisfied they have no intention of doing so themselves.

Board footer