You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 10-04-04 21:19:50

jonks

New drivers say 'rethink L-plates'

New drivers say 'rethink L-plates'

Guardian Unlimited - Mar 15 9:43 PM

Four in five recently-qualified drivers reckon they are a danger to other road users despite having passed their test, a survey has revealed. And three in five claim they were trained just to pass the test rather than drive safely.

10-04-04 21:19:50

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: New drivers say 'rethink L-plates'

#2 11-04-04 07:35:04

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Nigel Doggett, managing director of Autoglass, said: "Young drivers have made it clear that the learn-to-drive regime - which is founded on a test set up in 1935 and based on motoring conditions at the time - now leaves them feeling ill-prepared and unsafe on today's roads.

"They have the basic skills needed to pass their tests but their concern is that, without the experience to spot hazards or judge situations, they are a risk to themselves and other road users.

I wonder how many out of five of these new drivers were badgering their instructors every lesson about taking the test (complaining about having taken "six lessons already"). Or promised to contact the instructor next week regarding Pass Plus  roll 

Perhaps if they had thought this way when learning they would not be such a risk now, but then they were paying out eighteen quid or so a lesson and I guess they had to prioritise between getting paralitic at the weekend or being a safe driver :!:

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#3 11-04-04 08:01:54

Liesa

Well said David :!:

The first thing they ask when they ring to enquire is " How much do you charge?"

The second question is usually " How many lessons will I need?"

In reality most of them are only interested in passing the test as quickly as possible, then the public wonder why there are so many accidents involving new drivers  :?:

As I've said before it's like a breath of fresh air when, you meet someone who really wants to learn to drive and not just pass the test!

#4 11-04-04 08:14:34

adi
Verified Member
Website

I am with you both on this one. I saw an old pupil of mine the other week and she 'told me off' for not taking her to a petrol station to put fuel in the car, and that when she went in her own car she didn't know what to do. When i was teaching her, all she wanted was to pass the test, anything outside the test criteria was just yeah, yeah! If i took some pupils to the petrol station they would accuse me of wasting their lesson time!

I start to wonder whether it's worth asking new pupils what course they would like:
a) The just get me through the test course
b) Show me EVERYTHING so i can be safe and competent course

The trouble is, driving is an ongoing learning process throughout your driving life, where would you draw the line in ending instruction?

#5 22-04-04 07:42:20

Mike Geary

Yes I agree with every thing said (Morning Liesa) 8)

Although, I do try to put the idea of "you'll need "this or That" when you passed. big_smile

And every thing I teach I try to give a reason to do this or that :-
  "for your safety" big_smile
  "for others safety" big_smile

AND,
if it then does not fit into either of the above?
then,  its got to be done 4 the test! or no pass. sad

I dont like the last reason too much ,so, I try HARD to make it fit in to the other reasons. sad

This i find that most of the time Pupils will do something 4 themselves.
And I HATE IT when another ADI has said "Coz, I'm telling U to!

Bcoz they wont when He/She anit there! = A V.BAD way of teaching.

Any way bye 4 NooooOOOOOoooooowwwwWWWWWWwwwwww>>>>......

Mike Geary :cry:  8)  :shock:  :shock:  :?:  :!:

Board footer