You are not logged in.

#1 14-01-10 06:33:00

Bashy

Part 3 Passed 1st attempt-Write up

Hi all,

Had my part 3 1st attempt yesterday and passed.
The day started badly with a text from my instructor. He couldn't come for personal reasons. Obviously, this couldn't be helped and I had had all my training, but was meeting him for an hours drive before and just would have liked him there for moral support, but hey, it was fine.
I didn't think the test was gonna happen anyway as it was snowing by 8.30am (my test was at 1:05pm). I phoned the TC at 10am and they told me the tests in the morning had been cancelled and if it carried on it was unlikely that it would go ahead.
This aside, I still done that final couple of hours revision (I watched all the overviews and lesson control phase 1 video's from Blaine's site). At 11:45am, I phoned them again and they told me a decision hadn't been made on the afternoons tests yet...phone back at 12.
I phoned back at 12, and they told me someone was out looking at the local roads...phone back in 15 minutes.
I phoned back and finally got through at 12.20...it was on. The thing is I had kinda thought it was gonna be cancelled by this time so wasn't really in the mind set to do it, but thought, sod it, the worst case scenario is I fail and it would be a good experience anyway.
Got to the TC and paced up and down the empty waiting room. I had got it in my head that I would have had the same SE as did my Part 2 (1st attempt, 1 minor), but looked at the door window and saw a different guy...oh no!!!
He came in and instantly put me at ease, was a really nice friendly guy. Showed me the form and...PST 3. As luck would have it, the last phase 1 I practiced with my instructor (the day before) was Turn in road. I signed the blurb and we walked out to the car.
When he got in he informed me that he would be playing a partly trained pupil who had never done any manoeuvres.
We drove to the area and I spotted he wasn’t checking his mirrors and didn’t know the correct procedure for ped crossings. I corrected them no problem obviously. What was funny was that he took on this kinda chav cockney accent, I had to stop myself from laughing.
We pulled up at a place where I have taken quite a few pupils for their first attempt at TIR it was quite a wide road (I think this was because there was quite a lot of snow and it would have been difficult to do on a smaller road because of the visibility of the Kurb).
I started with the briefing and was really aware that the time was against me. The briefing seemed to go ok and he appeared he was listening, I didn’t have a problem keeping his attention anyway.
As we were about to pull away for our first attempt another leaner decided to pull up on the other side of the road and do a left reverse...the SE said “I suppose I’ll av to do dat one in a cupple of weeks eh” in a heavy chav accent ;-)
I agreed and we waited for the learner to go.
After a couple of minutes I think the instructor realised and they left. As we started the manoeuvre he was doing little girly steers and wasn’t looking correctly. I prompted these and got the observations ok. I controlled him really well, stopped him for the first ref and ASKED him where the kerb came in, he took the turns off and stopped again.
Into reverse and done the same, but I made the mistake about saying “what sticker does the kerb come into” (Which I use with pupils).  Anyway, that went ok. I prompted him that he must look out the passenger window before pulling away and he did.
We then went on and done the TIR another 3 times and he got better and I started to transfer some of the power to him and he was quite independent by the end. Job done. I knew things were going well but now had the Phase 2...AAARRGHHH!!!

He told me he was now a pupil who had had a test a couple of weeks ago and failed. Decided to come to me from his previous instructor because we had the same car. I asked if there was a problem with his turning left/right major to minor and he said there were a few problems on his test but couldn’t remember. I asked a few questions and we were off.
I found it quite difficult to come out of phase 1 mode and found myself over instructing (I thought anyway). He started by positioning in the centre of the road on right turns. I guided him into the next one and asked where the ref points were for the centre line (which didn’t really exist) and the centre of the minor road. We then drove on and I prompted the mirrors and everything seemed to be going ok although I still found myself slightly over instructing and questioning the mirrors constantly ;-)
I noticed him coasting and put that right and followed it up with explaining it was wrong and delving deeper with questions finally getting to engine braking.
He seemed to ask me loads of questions obviously testing my knowledge (which I expected anyway).
I started to sort out his positioning when turning left by prompting normal driving position (he was positioning in the centre of the road to turn left), He started to do it when...He asked me about how to judge when it was safe to turn right. I then quoted the pedestrian rule.
He then said “oh, so dat’s wot you do, wot about 60mph”. I said “well at 40mph you have to be able to walk across and half way back, then at 60mph, you need to be able to walk across and back again”.
This is where it went Ti*s up... he started going on about...well if i know it takes me 10 seconds to cross, does that mean it will take me 20 seconds at 60mph. Typing it out seems so obvious, but with everything else that was happening I started to get really confused. He just kept going on about seconds this and seconds that. I said, I think it’s best if we pull over and I show you in the book. I don’t think he wanted to but after another failed attempt at explaining myself, we pulled over.
I showed him in the book and he still had me...I just couldn’t think straight and we pulled off with him still saying “I still don’t understand” I thought at this point...defo failed here. He then chucked me a life line by saying “my last instructor said something about when emerging it’s double the time” I instantly jumped on it and said “yes sorry, I was a bit confused there, that’s what I meant, I was mixing up emerging with turning, sorry, It doesn’t take you double the time” OF COURSE IT DOESN’T!!!!
After that I still thought I’d failed and we carried on driving around, I knew there was only about 5 minutes left so I just knuckled down. We then come to a T-Junction and I was watching him looking and looking left and right myself. He then started to go and that’s when I looked forward and...there was a woman standing in the middle of the road!!! He said “”oh better not run her over eh”. I pulled my head out of my ar*e and just said “that’s right, and that ‘s the importance of looking straight ahead as well as looking left and right when emerging”.
That’s it I thought, definitely failed. He then asked me to take the opposite road on the next mimi roundabout...like a fool I said straight over the roundabout...of course, he did, telling me, well that's what you said to do. I apologised and offered advice with mini roundabouts.
We pulled up outside the TC and he told me all finished and he would meet me in the waiting room in 10 minutes.
I tried to phone my instructor to tell him I had failed but couldn’t get through. Called the wife and told her, said that I was pretty much certain that I had failed.
The SE came down and ushered me to another room. Sat me down and asked how I thought it went. I said I thought the Phase 1 went well but he got away with me on phase 2. I said that he confused me with the ped rule then had that problem with the woman in the middle of the road and that I was over instructing. He said “well, that was emerging” (???). He then said, “do you think you done enough?” I said I,m not sure as he confused me so much, he said “well do you think you done enough” I said yeah maybe...he ten said “yes, you done enough” and held out his hand. I nearly took it off at his elbow.
He went on to tell me that there were a lot of good things in my instructing and the phase 1 went well. The 2 things that let me down was I said at each stage of stopping at either side of the road, I told him to do a 5 point check ( this gave me an unsatisfactory in the observation box). I don’t know why I did that, I don’t do it with my pupils, nerves I think. He then said he didn’t like with the stickers for the ref point in reverse (which I knew was a mistake (DON’T TELL THEM THE REF POINT)).
Then onto phase 2. He did agree there was some over instructing, but generally good. I spotted all of the faults but questioned so much with the mirrors (this was defo nerves).
He said I just got myself out of trouble with the ped rule. I thanked him because it was down to the lifeline he gave me. He said that was all part of it. He didn’t mention the woman again, so neither did I but I can’t help but think I was really lucky there and maybe because he thought generally I was good he overlooked it. I don’t know exactly but who cares.
He told me I got a 5-4. I asked if I didn’t have the problem with the 5 point check on the TIR could it have been a 6. He said it wasn’t a million miles away from a 6, but not to bother about that.
We ten sat and chatted for 5-10 minutes about the check test and other bits and pieces and I then left the TC on cloud nine.
Couldn’t even have a good drink last night as I now have to pick a pupil up who has a test at 8:40
Hope she passes too!!
Hope you all enjoyed my write up. I’ve always said I wouldn’t bother doing one, but it seems different when you’ve passed yourself and it has helped me make sense of the day by just getting it all down in text. Also something good to keep as a constant reminder.
Just want to take this opportunity to thank my Instructor, Tony Davis at A1 National in Southend. He is a great instructor and taught me a hell of a lot. If anyone is having problems with their trainer or maybe just needs some extra training (part 2 or 3), i'd recommend him. PM me and I'll give you his number. He's a grade 6 instructor and knows pretty much everything.
Also Blaine’s video’s on aditraining.tv were invaluable.
Now I’m in you’re green badge gang...yippeee!!!

14-01-10 06:33:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 3 Passed 1st attempt-Write up

#2 14-01-10 08:19:22

nigel
Verified Member

well done good write up

DSA ADI
Fleet trainer, Iam ,Rospa (gold) Tutor. DIAmond Advanced/

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 14-01-10 10:18:40

jay666
Website

Very well done. I too got PST 3 and all of what you have wrote is very similar to how mine went so brought back those memories.

Well done!!

Jay

#4 14-01-10 10:23:32

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Well done  big_smile
Nice to see a detailed write up, enjoy the future!

#5 14-01-10 15:41:15

VandADI
Administrator

Fantastic result, well done  smile
Now relax and enjoy, you deserve it.

#6 15-01-10 19:57:01

quickpass

Congratulations, and all the best in your new career. Thanks for a graet write, really enjoyed it.

#7 15-01-10 22:18:08

kenalison

Hi there,

I've been watching lots of Blaine's vids as well and really enjoyed reading this write-up. Haven't heard a 5 point check mentioned before ........... what was that ?

Thanks ........ Ken

#8 16-01-10 19:33:43

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Brilliant news Bashy. What a result. I managed a first attempt pass to but only with a 4-4.

Well done you  :angel:
Cheers

Jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

Board footer