You are not logged in.

#1 15-12-09 20:45:30

Nitram-Dubman

Approached for ORDIT training

The MD of my School of Motoring has asked if I would like to become ORDIT registered. They will give me all the training I need for free while I have a franchise with them.

Recently, while at the head office for Check Test training, their Director of Training said to all of us there, that suitable candidates would be approached but that they were very selective about who. He has also said elsewhere that suitable candidates would have to have had at least one year of experience as a full time ADI.

Well, I qualified as an ADI back in June with a 4-5 (or was it 5-4, can't quite remember!) and at my first Check Test last week I was give a Grade 4 (no educational for me!).

My question to all you ADI trainers is: is it too soon? I'm very keen and it is part of my master plan for this career but do you think I need a bit more experience first? I'm very flattered that they have asked me and I feel that they recognise something in me, but I would also appreciate input from you guys.

Thanks,

Martin

15-12-09 20:45:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Approached for ORDIT training

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 15-12-09 22:00:08

johnnyfr
Verified Member
Website

Well, I qualified as an ADI back in June with a 4-5 (or was it 5-4, can't quite remember!) and at my first Check Test last week I was give a Grade 4 (no educational for me!).

With the greatest respect in the world, I think the above sentence answers your question.

If you have been given a grade 4 you are deemed to be of the minimum acceptable level - I hardly think that is a suitable level to be training pdis.

I'm not knocking you though - keep up the good work, raise your own standards and then you'll be in a much better position to help others.

DSA ADI (car) -- DSA Fleet Driver Trainer [URL=http://www.prontopass.co.uk/grade6adi.php]Grade 6[/URL] -- ORDIT Registered Trainer
Level 4 PTLLS, Rospa Gold, NVQ Level 3 Driving Instruction, A1 Assessors Award, [URL=http://www.brake.org.uk]Brake[/URL] Road Safety Ambassador, DIA Taxi Trainer.
Visit us for [URL=http://www.prontopass.co.uk]Driving Lessons[/URL] or [URL=http://www.accufleet.co.uk]Fleet Driver Training[/URL]

#3 16-12-09 09:44:51

jonnmedds
Verified Member

Well done for passing your first ct but I agree with Jonnyfr. Think back to when you were training, would you have been happy if your trainer had only been qualified for such a short amount of time.

Jon

#4 06-01-10 13:06:32

Carlo
Verified Member

When I trained with BSM.  I passed all three parts first time.  I had a fantastic trainer.  I found out once I had qualified that he had been an ADI for 1 year before he started his training to become a trainer.  He even used me as his ORDIT CT smile.

Alot of his colleagues actually thought he was a better ADI trainer than an ADI??  Can this be true?  neutral

"It's easy when you know how!"

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 06-01-10 14:56:04

ExAdiNigel

....Alot of his colleagues actually thought he was a better ADI trainer than an ADI??  Can this be true?  neutral

Quite possibly.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#6 06-01-10 15:54:13

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Alot of his colleagues actually thought he was a better ADI trainer than an ADI??  Can this be true?

How would they know unless they sat in on his lessons?

#7 06-01-10 19:50:14

finch

Go for it, why the training process is fresh in your memory, do wha tfeels right, you might not get the offer again.

#8 07-01-10 07:35:28

hector
Verified Member
Website

You cannot be a better ADI trainer than an ADI, that is impossible! You have to be an excellent ADI to be an excellent ADI trainer. You are training others how to be an excellent ADI, preaching what you practice   wink

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#9 12-01-10 21:45:31

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

You must be excellent then Nigel? LOL

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#10 12-01-10 22:02:02

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Yeah he is... but he has to watch out as I am steadily catching up on him  tongue tongue

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#11 13-01-10 14:21:21

KevB
Verified Member
Website

I can't agree with a good trainer needing to be an excellent ADI.

A full understanding of what is required from a candidate, the testing regime and an appreciation of mentoring rather than teaching is what is required to be good trainer, not neccasarily being able to gain a grade 6 itself.

Many of the top tennis players have coaches that have never featured in a tennis tournament themselves. And how many ex champions trained subsequent championship contenders...... ZERO, despite plenty going on to be trainers.

How many caddies have not got green jackets but have guided their golfer to acheiving one or more?

I read of a cyclist that had worn yellow  shirts for several races and yet who's trainer hadn't ridden a bike since the age of 14.

Who coached Schuey to all those championship wins? It wasnt an ex F1 champion nor was it an experienced driver trainer.

#12 13-01-10 19:12:46

Marco Polo
Website

Hi Martin,

Unfortunately, the ADI training industry is poorly regulated so (as far as I am aware) you don't even have to be an ADI to teach part 3 for money (I'm not sure about part 2).

I too want to train ADIs. However, if I do not prepare myself in the right way, I will end up presenting PDIs for their part 3, most of whom will fail. I too qualified in June 09, I was check tested recently and acheived a 5. For now I mentor PDIs for free, while they are training with someone else (some have gone on to pass). I have a lot to learn. I will pursue a course of action over a period of time which will include being mentored by someone with much more experience than I. When I am confident that I know what I am doing, I will charge full whack to train PDIs in the confidence that I can present them for the part 3 test and the ball is truely in their court.

Being an ADI trainer is more than going through the ORDIT route. One of the best ADI trainers in the country isn't even ORDIT registered, he gets his business through having a good reputation and getting a lot of PDIs through the part 3 test.

Don't forget, when you teach normal L test pupils, they hardly ever ask for your grade or pass rates. PDIs will ask, and so they should. We mustn't b*llsh*t them. We owe it to them to:

1. Tell them if they are not cut out to be an ADI so they don't waste their money and
2. Make sure we provide them with the right kind of help to get them through the Part 3.

It's only my opinion.

Mark

#13 13-01-10 19:16:52

hector
Verified Member
Website

A perfect post 

The regulations regarding training for moneys worth apply to training provisional licence holders , For example the LGV voluntary register is just that, voluntary.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#14 10-02-10 21:16:29

1stcastle

Hello, just joined this site. It doesn't matter if you are a grade 4 instructor. Adi trainer- it is a completely different job. You could be a reasonable instructor and be a very good adi trainer. Even grade 6 instructors who have been doing the job for years have been downgraded at check tests. It doesn't really mean anything providing your teaching method is consistant. Good luck and go for it.

Board footer