You are not logged in.

#1 11-01-10 15:21:08

paulcook
Verified Member
Website

Can your check test result be affected by things like CPD , Pupils record etc.

Folks, i've only been qualified since September '09 and I've not yet been invited for a check test.

Was just wondering..... is your result purely based on the tuition you give during that lesson, or is it also affected by extra things, such as:

a) is the instructor using the "pupils record card"
b) is the instructor able to produce evidence of Continued Professional Development?

Any comments welcome.... 

Paul Cook, ADI, Grade 5, DIAmond Special Test

11-01-10 15:21:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Can your check test result be affected by things like CPD , Pupils record etc.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 11-01-10 16:35:13

Marco Polo
Website

Re: Can your check test result be affected by things like CPD , Pupils record etc.

Hi Paul.

I qualified in June 09 and had my first check test in Dec 09. I got a grade 5. Although your learner test records are available for the SE to see on the computer, he/she will not consider this when you take a check test. You will be assessed on how you handle a 1 hour lesson with a real pupil (or you can do role play). The focus will be the Core Comps, just like in your part 3. The only difference is, you choose the subject matter. CPD is still, at this point, voluntary and they are not interested. Conduct a well structured lesson, vary the lesson plan if your pupil struggles with a fault that is not within the lesson plan.

Using a pupils record card is good because it shows structure and planning. Don't fake one by filling one out just for the day.

When you get your letter from the DSA, call the SE and have a chat about the check test. Better still, pop in and talk to him/her. If your test centre has a surgery, attend and ask the SE questions. Get some check test training from a grade 6 or experienced ADI. Subscribe to a decent site that has ADI videos. It's worth making the extra effort. It could turn an E into a 4 or a 4 into 5 a 6. Don't listen to those who say, "Don't worry, if you fail the first one you get an 'E' educational grade. You'll have to take another one, probably within a year (although it varies). If you can pass the part 3, you should aim to get a grade on your first check test.

Let us know when the letter arrives.

Mark

#3 11-01-10 21:12:56

hector
Verified Member
Website

Identification analysis and remedial action of driving faults, its really that simple   wink

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#4 12-01-10 08:50:05

jim thompson
Website

They are interested in what they see during the lesson and the key is to make sure that the lesson suits the pupils needs and the core competencies are used.

#5 12-01-10 11:41:53

Aspyre

Paul it would be naive to suggest an examiner wouldn't be impressed by some ones CPD portfolio if they then gave a good CT lesson.

But he could (if you go down this route) likely be expecting the Best Lesson Ever if the person in question was one of those who has CPD as long as your arm and then performs badly (and surprising as it may be CPD doesn't automatically make some one a better ADI - especially if they then start claiming that it does every time they get chance).

As has been said above, it is the core competencies which are most important.

#6 12-01-10 12:42:27

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Broadening things slightly.....

CPD can effect your check test result, but only in as much as it influences your performance on the checktest.
You can take part in as much CPD as you like, but if you do not apply what is relevent to the lesson during the check test(and any normal lessons), then that CPD is pointless.

Will CPD or any additional qualifications held by the instructor, or previous check test results effect the examiners opinions of the check test lesson itself? NO. S/He will only consider the instructors performance during the check test itself.

However, the examiner may wish to discuss CPD, your clients tests history and other aspects of your business or instruction during the debrief. This is also an oppotunity for you to bring up any concerns or topics you may wish assistance or clarifications from the examiner too. Many are only too pleased to chat about anything to do with instruction or testing.

#7 12-01-10 14:33:22

Marco Polo
Website

The SE in my area is happy to talk to ADIs and after my check test, he said, and I quote, "You know how to get hold of me, feel free to contact me at any time."

#8 13-01-10 07:55:42

paulcook
Verified Member
Website

Thanks very much for your replies folks.   I now have a clearer idea.

On a side note - I'm led to believe the examiner has a chat with you after the check test.   So if I choose a realy pupil for my check-test, that means the pupil is waiting outside twiddling their thumbs while I'm having in depth, meaningful chats with the examiner.  Is that the case?  It just seems that the pupil puts up with a quite a lot that day, i.e. the extra nerves, the waiting etc.   I take it that's why many ADIs give that lesson free?   

Paul Cook, ADI, Grade 5, DIAmond Special Test

#9 13-01-10 18:01:41

Aspyre

Yes.... or they can come into the waiting room where its nice and warm.

Dont make a big deal out of it..... its not that long unless you make it so (depends on outcome I guess).. Just explain to them they are helping you..... THAT'S why it is a freebie.

Board footer