You are not logged in.

#1 07-12-09 09:53:10

RPM

training with RED

looked at all the top driving schools and i'm still being drawn to RED, but i still feel there is a lot of negative feed-back, are there any REDs out there that can confirm my thoughts that RED offer overall the best package ??? Thank you Charlie

07-12-09 09:53:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: training with RED

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 07-12-09 17:54:59

IceWarrior

Greetings,

Do they offer to give all your training fee back once you have passed?

The AA do!

Personal message sent. Check your inbox.

IceWarrior

#3 07-12-09 18:13:07

pip

Hi R M P

I am with red at the moment  now on pt 2    I cant fault my tutor but the time between lessons has not been consistant first 2 lessons have been 1 month apart 3rd lesson was 6 weeks away only for them to cancel and rebook another for 2 weeks time so now this one will be 2 months
have complained but dont seem to get any where.

Pip

#4 07-12-09 18:27:06

RPM

sorry to hear you're having problems, hope it all works out, Thanks for the input, Regards Charlie smile

#5 07-12-09 21:39:06

jay666
Website

I trained with red and although i got through the tests and got my green badge i would not recommend them to anyone. Training sessions were sometimes quite far apart and i was told 20 weeks i could be fully qualified yet i worked my ass off 150% and it still took me from Feb 16th until 25 september to be fully qualified. They tell you that you can get as much training and support as you need but you don't. You are also told that they have no problem with you using a car for tests but the 1 time i asked i was told to try borrow a car from someone else as they needed the car for training sessions and i did give them about 6 weeks notice. £3678 i shelled out and looking back did not get anywhere near my moneys worth especially when you take out the long morning and afternoon breaks and lunch hours. Part 3 training you are suppose to get 40 hours but i worked out that to myself i actually got about 7 hours!

I am proof that you can pass with them but i wouldn't recommend them.

Jay

#6 08-12-09 07:36:37

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

I passed with Red, but only because I put in so much work and effort myself, going out almost every day and practicing what I had to do.  In my opinion, for what I paid and what I got, they weren't worth their money at all. 

As an instructor trainer, all the trainees I get from Red are S????, and the ones who (only just) stand out are the ones who do lots of private practice. 

Your far better off finding a good local trainer.

Red have adverts on radio and tv, and big premises..... where do you think the money for them comes..... from what you pay

For what you par Red you could get 100 to 130 full hours, 1:1 with a good local instructor!

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 08-12-09 09:35:22

jay666
Website

I passed with Red, but only because I put in so much work and effort myself, going out almost every day and practicing what I had to do.  In my opinion, for what I paid and what I got, they weren't worth their money at all. 

As an instructor trainer, all the trainees I get from Red are S????, and the ones who (only just) stand out are the ones who do lots of private practice. 

Your far better off finding a good local trainer.

Red have adverts on radio and tv, and big premises..... where do you think the money for them comes..... from what you pay

For what you par Red you could get 100 to 130 full hours, 1:1 with a good local instructor!

.phil.
:angel:

Agree 100%.

I also only passed because i got a 'buddy' to practice with and worked my socks off

Jay

#8 08-12-09 12:03:38

Dave G

Hi RPM

I am training with Red. When I first started I heard all the negatives but went into it with an open mind. I aksed lots of questions and to be honest it was the support network that convinced me to go with them.

During part1 training I couldnt fault them. They have a good e learning package and excellent tutor support who always helped me. They also provided me with all the training materials I needed. I passed part 1 no problem. I am now doing part2 and I agree with the point about time. I thought I would get through my 20 hours prior to xmas but it has been drawn out. I have had one to one sessions so far and the instructor has been really good. We only have time for a cup of tea during breaks because "we ned to be on the road, practice, practice, practice" I also have a workbook to go through with action plans from each session and work to do before each session i.e. reading and practice. My part 2 test is on Jan 21st 2010 and I am using a red car for the day at no cost to me (I suppose Ive paid with my fee). The delay in the test date is no fault of red, DSA cancelled twice. I have 3 more part 2 lessons to do which includes a mock test. I meet a business advisor after session 4 to discuss if I want to go with red or go independant.

I was fully aware that I would have to put a lot of work in myself and to be honest I think that has helped me. The reasoning behind that is that Im not training to pass a test I am training for the future and I need to not only know the answers but understand them as well.

The frustrating bit is how long it is taking me to get through part 2 and I am sure I could have done it quicker as an independant but Im not sure if getting through the process quickly would have helped me. Will I go with red after I qualify? Not sure yet. The one thing that does atrract me is a career path whether it be fleet training, tutor training or other things. The one thing that did impress me was when I turned up for my last session and a guy joined us. He was Quality Assuring the training and asked me about my progress so far. He wrote down my points and said he would pass them on to red. They also provide all training material for part 3.

I have no doubt it would have been cheaper to do the training on my own but as I said its the support network that is helping me. I had a problem with one area and my local training officer phoned me about it. He sorted it out and told me he was there if I needed him. I have read many posts on here from people doing the training independantly asking questions about the process which I thought were obvious. The only reason they are obvious to me is my support network.

God I sound like an advert for red!!!! At the end of the day its up to you and in a nutshell, support really good, timescale not so good.

Good luck whatever your decision. I had a letter from the AA asking me to join them with lots of promises. Its in the bin!

Regards
Dave

Part 1- 100%/57%
Part2- 1 Minor
Part3-5-4
Check Test -Grade6
C&Guilds 7307 Teaching in Adult & Further Education
DipNEBSM

#9 08-12-09 13:14:16

pip

Hi Dave

I am also with red tried to get a car off them for 7 jan 2010 as i was also told it would be no problem
I have written to them and was told the salesman cannot tell us we can have a car so  I have hired one for the day also spoke with them on the phone regards Pt3 for when I pass part 2 !!! they have told me it will be over a 3 week period but after what I am going through for pt2 I will not be holding my breath.
I think alot of the training depends on where you live as here in Norwich you dont see many of there cars about.

Pip   

#10 08-12-09 13:36:44

Dave G

Hi Pip

Yes I agree with you. I think it does depend where you live. I am in Lancashire and there are colleges in Stockport and Leeds. I could have had a car from either. They also do the training for Part 2and 3 in a couple of areas so I basically had a choice. I dont understand the bit about you having to hire a car. I told my Area Training Officer that I own a 4x4 (live on a farm, need one,) and my wifes car is an automatic. The only problem I had was getting dates of tests and availability of car tied up. Try speaking to your Area Training Officer, phone red and they will give you the name and number. I think at Stockport and Leeds they have a spare car for exactly this purpose. My test is in Bolton at 12.30pm. I pick the car up at 9am, an hours driving before the test, take test, hopefully pass then take the car back.

Regarding Part 3 my instructor told me they had changed the training due to complaints from PDI's that it took too long hence over 3 weeks. I must admit Im quite pushy when Im paying for something so Im quite prepared to push my instructor if the breaks are too long or I dont feel Im getting the right amount of hours. If I pay for 40 hours Im having 40 hours. As I said so far my part 2 has been one to one, Im definitley getting 20 or more hours and I do loads of private practice as per my action plans. My worry is getting a training buddy for part 3 but as my instructor said, when I start part 3 I will meet others who could help with being a buddy.

Good luck with the training Pip. Keep in touch as it will be interesting to see how we both get on through our journey with Red.

Regards
Dave

Part 1- 100%/57%
Part2- 1 Minor
Part3-5-4
Check Test -Grade6
DipNEBSM

#11 08-12-09 13:57:27

Macca
Verified Member

Throughout the years there have been a few good posts about Reds driving instructor training and when you compare it with all the bad comments you can not imagine it to be the same company. I think the difference all depends upon how busy the local Red Instructor College is. If it has few students and lots of spare capacity you get a great response if it doesn't you don't. I suspect it is as simple as that.

In any case most of the problems usually don't appear until the part 3 stage based on many of the complaints I have seen over the years. As Jay666 stated he only got 7 real hours of in-car training when he did his 40 hours. This is partly due to the breaks, the hours of classroom training and the fact that the training is usually shared with another trainee so half of the hours you are sat in the back watching. If you have different buddies at differing levels in the course the time watching can be wasted. If you went with the AA you would get 40 hours in-car training 1 to 1 for part 3 and the course cost is over £1,000 less. Indeed all the major driving schools offer more training and charge over £1,000 less because they do not have to spend a fortune on TV advertising etc. To keep 22 colleges busy you need to be recruiting about 10,000 students per year.

Maybe Red have now changed the training and Dave G is the first to experience this new approach. Or maybe they know not to mess him about or maybe they hope he will give them a good testimonial and so he has been singled out for special treatment!

#12 08-12-09 15:23:28

Dave G

Hi Macca

I agree it probably depends on how busy the colleges are, I also agree with the good and bad comments about Red. Im actually keeping a log of my training to give to red when I have qualified as feedback. Im not sure about being singled out but if I am I will take any special treatment available, I will probably need it!!! I certainly dont take any rubbish from people who try to spin me yarns about company policies and protocols etc, the reasonable person argument normally works.

I dont know if I have been blinded by the route so far but when you have a good Instructor, one to one sessions, Red quality assurers sitting in the car for 4 and hours then its difficult not to think there is something good about it.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Its motorway driving on Friday so its a bit of light reading of Driving the Essential skills, complete the workbook and if the wife is lucky I wont be talking about driving tonight. She is dreading part 3 training ....bless her! She keeps going over the wedding vows to check if being a driving instructors guinea pig was mentioned anywhere!!!

Regards
Dave

Part 1- 100%/57%
Part2- 1 Minor
Part3-5-4
Check Test -Grade6
DipNEBSM

#13 08-12-09 20:25:32

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Charlie
If you want to throw away 3.5 grand, go with red, its that simple. Seriously take it from someone who really knows and dont do it, ignore this advice at your peril!

Even IF you got good training 40 hrs which you wont get, its way way off what is required.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 02-01-10 11:46:58

Lord Sid
Verified Member

Even IF you got good training 40 hrs which you wont get, its way way off what is required.

So true. I cannot comment on Red itself, however I found Part 3 by far the hardest to get right. It took me something like 80 hours. Everyone will be different, but I found that for me the difficult part was giving the instructions quickly enough. If I went faster than I felt comfortable with, my instructions descended into gibberish, and included things like "Dutch clown" and "Break down, clutch gently to a halt." Had I tried to fit Part 3 into a few weeks, I would have given up, as my personal learning style is that of a reflector, and I would not have had time to reflect.

My advice would be to find out how good and flexible Red are at Part 3 training. Parts 1 and 2 are easy in comparison, and are probably not the best areas to judge a company by. Flexibility is so important as while intensive courses suit some learners (activists), they don't suit others. My guess, and its no more than that, would be that a local independent will be much more flexible than any national training company. It may also depend on how much of a rush you are in.

#15 02-01-10 14:49:29

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

I fully agree with Hector and Lord Sid,

I think I was somewhere around 70 hours for my part 3 training. I trained with a pay as you go Grade 6 instructor just doing Saturday 2 hours from April to August, Had a break in August, then Sept and October did 2 hours every Sat and Sunday and then did an 'intensive course' with him in November, Saturday through to Friday morning to consolidate everything.

Result was first time pass. I remember how easy I found part 1 and really enjoyed part 2 but when I first started my part 3 training it was a shock as I had never done anything like that before. For me I don't think I would have stood a chance doing it in 40 hours over a couple of weeks.

Try Googling Blaine Walsh ADI videos. I found these really useful in my training as well.

Good luck with your part 3.

Jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

#16 06-01-10 21:42:17

Macca
Verified Member

Before you think of going to RED I suggest you look at:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wal … 8486933571

#17 06-01-10 22:17:59

ExAdiNigel

Personally I would ignore such groups on Facebook.  Emotional claptrap!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#18 07-01-10 01:13:29

Aspyre

I agree Nigel......... I don't think it is becoming of the director of LDC to keep digging the dirt against former business parteners like that either  roll

In fact on another forum he posts the same link like this:

"Just found some interesting remarks about Red driving School on:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=58486933571"

When it is obvious he has known about this facebook site (and in fact has even posted in it) in the last 6 months or so

Its always on threads which have been dead for a while....... in fact when you look back he posts periodicly in any Red thread in this manner....... its fairly obvious he is up to some thing when he does this  roll

#19 10-01-10 09:34:34

drivinginstructortrainer
Website

Greetings,

Do they offer to give all your training fee back once you have passed?

The AA do!

Personal message sent. Check your inbox.

IceWarrior

Does that mean it's in their interest for you to fail?! smile

Many years of driving instructor training experience.

www.thedrivinginstructortrainer.co.uk

#20 10-01-10 10:44:18

ExAdiNigel

....Does that mean it's in their interest for you to fail?! smile

Not at all.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#21 10-01-10 12:03:34

taffyduck
Verified Member

hi i did my training with red passed pt 1 first time pt2 second time and part3 first time i was not that impressed with the waiting times between lessons so what i did and it benefited me the most was to get a training buddie and we was out every other day just putting in the hard work ourselves

Board footer