You are not logged in.

#1 04-01-10 13:55:39

Deniseam

Working with a pupil through an interpreter

Anybody got any tips for instructing via an interpreter.  I have a pupil who has previously had lessons with an instructor in her own language but has now come to me.  Planned instructions are okay but its the unexpected that causes the problems because of the translation delay.  I am also going to attempt to teach her TIR next lesson.

thanks

Denise

04-01-10 13:55:39

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Working with a pupil through an interpreter

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 04-01-10 14:40:45

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi Denise

I find it useful to have a set of hand signals preset in case of emergencies such as stop as soon as possible emergency stop turn left turn right etc.

Just remember the old adage is what I thought I said what you understand I said. Having an interpreter in the loop will mean you will need more Q & A

Any more problems give me a pm out of interest which language are you dealing with?

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#3 04-01-10 15:29:43

Deniseam

Thanks for the reply.  She speaks Mandarin.  I use hand signals to signify gear changes with fingers to denote which number gear.  I also back up my directions with a hand signal.  To be honest I use my hands a lot during lessons anyway.  I would have a go at learning the language but Mandarin seems so impenetrable. 

#4 04-01-10 16:13:43

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi

I'm afraid you will have a problem with the theory test. it's available in Cantonise not Mandarin sorry sad

Good Luck.

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#5 04-01-10 17:13:06

wil
Website

A lot of our students use Google Translate to help them understand some of the questions in the theory test. Although you won't obviously have access to this at the test centre, it may be worth suggesting as a learning aid.

Btw, I'm surprised that Mandarin is not a supported voice over language. It's the most widely spoken language in the world (perhaps not in the UK though).

Co-founder of Theory Test Pro

#6 07-01-10 13:27:09

bellydancer

Denise
Here are some pronunication of Mandarin words you may find useful.
Hello - ni hao (pronounced as knee how)
1 - yi (pronounced a bit like the letter e)
2 - er (earl)
3 - san
4 - si (can't think of any english equivalent, but pronounced by putting your top and bottom set of teeth together and making the ssss sound. but the s sound is kept short, like ss instead of ssssss....:)
5 - wu (woe)

slow/slowly - man man (pronounced like month, without the th sound)
right (as in the direction) is you (pronounced as you as in English but with a hard stress. imagine the stress you would make when saying yoh !  )

Have fun smile

Board footer