You are not logged in.

#1 22-11-09 19:47:35

simi

how much can you expect from the very first lesson with a novice pupil?

Hi everyone again!As I've  just stared on my pink this Friday and I really don't know if I did everything perfect. I've done the cockpit drill,explained all the controls , explained the moving off and stopping routine but practice more on the biting point and steering in a straight line.Is it too less for the very first lesson for a person who has never been behind the wheel before? I felt it was too much for them to work on the observation as well , so I did it for them this time and ask them to focus on the biting point and steering straight, telling that we'll be working more on moving off and doing normal stops using the appropriate routines (POM & MSPSL), on the next lesson. have I done the right thing? Any reply please! :oops: 

22-11-09 19:47:35

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: how much can you expect from the very first lesson with a novice pupil?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 22-11-09 20:48:30

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

How long was the lesson time? 1 hour?
If so you've done OK.

You can put clients off if you only let them drive for a small part of the lesson, so keep your briefings short and simple.
Ask questions about their knowledge [you may spend valuable time explaining things they already know.]

Helping them with the observation; you will find that you have to improvise, helping them when they need it is your job, but encourage them to take responsibility as soon as they are able.

I stipulate 90 minutes on first lesson. This gives me long enough to do;
Cockpit & Controls brief. Moving off & stopping brief.
Practice moving and stopping. Then introduce gear change 1-2, 2-3, 3-4.We have a 0.6 mile long suitable area.
intro pull push technique. Clutch control by end of lesson.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#3 22-11-09 22:40:49

mspl

I would say for a 1 hour lesson you pitched it just right.
As long as you set the objectives at the start of the lesson,and then hopefully carry them out,
I think you will find your pupil will be very happy with the lesson.

#4 22-11-09 22:57:47

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Hi Simi,

You will find everybody picks things up at  different pace....For example (in my experience) a nervous pupil who is worried about crashing will check observations/mirrors more frequently and at the right times as they are worried about crashing and understand the only way to check its safe is to look.  You will get pupils who have never driven before who drive better than a pupil who has done 10 hours, and you'll get pupils so bad you'll be thinking driving isn't for them. 

You will get pupils who you can reason with and say things like:
'that right turn we just made, if I took you back round there what would you do differently?' 
'wait for my point of turn'
'yeah, because we cut our corner, didn't we... why is that a problem?'
and you get the right answers

But you will get other pupils who will refuse to admit they have done anything wrong.

At the moment I have a pupil who's road position is terrible.  The reason is he keeps taking his hand off the wheel to pick his nose!  He's had four 2 hour lessons with me.  I've tried to be polite and tactful and it hasn't worked.  I've tried to be blunt and tell him picking his nose isn't part of driving and it hasn't worked.  On his last lesson I did what I would normally never do, and what is regarded as wrong - every time his hand went for his nose, I reached over and placed his hand back on the wheel.  It's the first lesson where we haven't spent most of the time driving along the white center line.

I think as long as you have a structured program, where one topic follows on from the next in a logical sequence, and you move the pupil onto the next topic as soon as your happy with how they handle the previous one, then you wont have any problems.

With a new pupil what you really want them to learn is clutch control, so focus on that, don't worry if your checking safety for them initially.

Remember that for a first lesson nerves will play a big part in the pupils ability: driving is a new experience for them, they are completely out of their comfort zone, their friends and family members have told them all kinds of horror stories, they don't want to get things wrong and have you shout at them, and your a stranger to them too.  These things all play a part in how they drive.

I'm always being asked "how many lessons will I need?"  I always reply with " I can teach you to drive in 10 minutes.  How quickly can you learn?"

Hope that helps
Good luck on your pink
.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 19-12-09 19:25:20

Hale
Verified Member
Website

I'm always being asked "how many lessons will I need?"  I always reply with " I can teach you to drive in 10 minutes.  How quickly can you learn?"

FANTASTIC !!!

When i say STOP, I can only mean ONE thing!

Part 1 - Passed Sept 2003
Part 2 - Passed Nov 2003
Part 3 - Failed Aug 2004
Part 3 - Passed Jan 2005

http://www.hayleys-driving-tuition.co.uk

#6 21-12-09 09:12:18

mspl

Excellent post Phil,some very good advice.

Board footer