You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 16-12-09 07:13:53

ExAdiNigel

Government & increasing pressure on Speed Limits

My apologies if this has been linked to elsewhere but I was reading this page on the BBC website this morning (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8415351.stm.

So more 20mph limits & 50mph limits appear to be the order of the day.  But lower down there is a mention of

But safety experts say deaths are still not falling fast enough, partly because of poor driving.

If poor driving is to blame then why isn't that being tackled?  Could it be that would be even less popular than reducing speed limits by any chance?

I hate the idea of blanket speed limits.  Many areas vary in their danger depending on the time of day so, in my view, a blanket speed limit isn't appropriate.  Reducing an A-road to 50 probably wont stop those that speed already, they will probably continue to do so.

I would prefer to see Police presence increased with more prosecutions for dangerous/undue care & attention (with NDIS as an option for first offence).

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

16-12-09 07:13:53

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Government & increasing pressure on Speed Limits

#2 17-12-09 17:54:07

iwanadrive

Totally agree with you nigel.  I don't feel changing the speed limit will tackle the issue of those who speed.  I always drive at the speed limit yet regularly have people up the back of me, who are dissatisfied with me doing the speed limit.  I feel that lowering this will only lead to people becoming more agitated and possibly causing more accidents.

#3 17-12-09 20:17:58

Van Man
Verified Member

I agree with what you have said. I have long believed education is the answer to the problem. Excessive speed is a problem but is not the only cause of accidents. Factor in inattention, mobile phones, drink/drugs, my car is better than your car mentality then its a wonder any of us use the roads at all. I've often wondered if my vehicle is invisible because of the number of close shaves that could have been if I had not been driving to full attention with eyes on " main beam"

DON'T GET ME STARTED.
I'm not doing it wrong,Its just another way of doing it right!
IAM observer

Board footer