You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 30-11-09 15:53:40

Madhatter
Verified Member

Supervising B+E drivers

Hello,
I have just passed my B+E test. I don't have any intention of teaching trailers at the moment but out of interest, do I need to wait before I can supervise another driver under Ls?

Thanks

Tim

Tim Moran - ADI Cornwall - www.timmoranschoolofmotoring.co.uk

30-11-09 15:53:40

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Supervising B+E drivers

#2 30-11-09 16:36:11

KevB
Verified Member
Website

3 years

#3 30-11-09 20:50:31

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Congrats on passing your B+E  big_smile     How did you find it? 

I have just started doing B+E training in the last couple of months and have to say I love it! 

As Kevin said you must have the entitlement on your licence for 3 years before you can begin supervising any L drivers for that category.

On the positive side =  you can charge more per hour for the training
                               Its a nice change to have candidates who can drive and you can focus on improving their driving and concentrate on the trailer
                               Provides a bit of variety for the working week
                               Quick turnaround, a couple of lessons and then test day depending on candidate
                               Necessity of a good off road side for reversing exercise (may have to pay for use of private ground)

On the negative side = costs are higher, more fuel, more insurance costs for both vehicle and trailer
                               Not as much time spent with individual so you don't develop the same rapport as we do with the learners
                               Longer wait whilst candidate is out on test and then the longer wait at the end when they are back doing the uncouple/recouple b4 result

If you do go for it in a few years, good luck,there is a market out there for it.  smile

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#4 01-12-09 19:52:16

Madhatter
Verified Member

Hi chaps thanks for your replies. I looked on line for ages before I asked and I asked my trainer but couldn't find out. It's small wonder there are so many people who are unaware or ignore the rules over trailer driving when it's all so complicated...perhaps.

To answer your question Caroline I really enjoyed learning rather than teaching and I enjoyed the challenge of the test because I haven't really driven with a trailer before - Scout camp will be easier next year now!

I have no intention of doing trailers at the moment but I thought it was probably three years so I thought I would soak them up now while I don't want to do it so I can pick it up quickly in the future. It has to be a growing market. D1 next!

By the way, looked at your website it looks really good, done yourself?

Tim

Tim Moran - ADI Cornwall - www.timmoranschoolofmotoring.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 01-12-09 20:16:47

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Thank you Tim.

Sadly no!  Wish I could do that stuff, save me another bill!   big_smile

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 29-01-10 11:13:23

Ian Connor

Hi my name is Ian, I teach L.G.V. in Bristol.
You should check with D.S.A. as to how long you have to wait, I was under the impression that if you were an A.D.I. you only had to wait a year to teach a new category. I took my D in August last year and they said I only had to wait a year. As for your D1 You are better off doing D because it covers both and cost the same so you are basically buying one and getting one free.
Hope this is helpful. Best regards

Hi chaps thanks for your replies. I looked on line for ages before I asked and I asked my trainer but couldn't find out. It's small wonder there are so many people who are unaware or ignore the rules over trailer driving when it's all so complicated...perhaps.

To answer your question Caroline I really enjoyed learning rather than teaching and I enjoyed the challenge of the test because I haven't really driven with a trailer before - Scout camp will be easier next year now!

I have no intention of doing trailers at the moment but I thought it was probably three years so I thought I would soak them up now while I don't want to do it so I can pick it up quickly in the future. It has to be a growing market. D1 next!

Tim

#7 31-01-10 05:21:03

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Hi my name is Ian, I teach L.G.V. in Bristol.
You should check with D.S.A. as to how long you have to wait, I was under the impression that if you were an A.D.I. you only had to wait a year to teach a new category. I took my D in August last year and they said I only had to wait a year. As for your D1 You are better off doing D because it covers both and cost the same so you are basically buying one and getting one free.
Hope this is helpful. Best regards

The 1 year rule applies to category C and D, if you have held D for 3 years and get C you can supervise C after 1 year, rather than waiting 3 years, but if you get C+E you cannot supervise +E until you have held it 3 years. It has nothing to do with being an ADI.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#8 31-01-10 09:12:29

Ian Connor

Thanks very much reddragonbus, yet more misinformation received from D.S.A. I will pass this on as there are quite a few aquaintances of mine that have been given the same info. Regards, Ian.

#9 31-01-10 14:20:23

The Saint
Verified Member

Hi RedDragon

Do you know the position with the following circumstances?

I have had Cat D for years and as I have a pre -1997 Licence, I have D1+E, but have never passed a D1+E test, although I have had many years of towing experience.

I teach D and D1, but now wish to teach D1+E. The DVLA nor the DSA can give me a answer that makes sense.

Do you have any firm experience on this?

Did you think you didn't have to choose it?
That I alone could win or lose it?
In all the places we were hiding love
What was it we were thinking of?

#10 31-01-10 15:14:51

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Hi RedDragon

Do you know the position with the following circumstances?

I have had Cat D for years and as I have a pre -1997 Licence, I have D1+E, but have never passed a D1+E test, although I have had many years of towing experience.

I teach D and D1, but now wish to teach D1+E. The DVLA nor the DSA can give me a answer that makes sense.

Do you have any firm experience on this?

At the moment you can teach D1E on your pre 1997 licence, the law is changing,

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Category.asp?cat=607

If you want to continue to supervise D1E you must pass the vocational driving test in this category yourself. The best option is to sit the C and C+E tests as this upgrades the D licences by default.

Lorry tests upgrade bus licences, bus tests don't up grade lorry licences. C+E will also add B+E to a post 1997 licence holder.

#11 31-01-10 21:36:17

The Saint
Verified Member

Thanks. I know things are changing in April, but it's a lot clearer now.

Did you think you didn't have to choose it?
That I alone could win or lose it?
In all the places we were hiding love
What was it we were thinking of?

#12 08-03-10 00:06:49

Philly Fossil
Verified Member

Hi there. Can anyone shed some light on this one. I know the list of categories doesn't include b + e
but is it possible its been missed off the list? DSA can't answer this and I would have thought it should be included.

Maybe one day you will need to be an ADI to supervise.

Phil

#13 08-03-10 02:29:16

KevB
Verified Member
Website

DE or CE won't upgrade BE.  Daft, but I believe true.

#14 08-03-10 20:18:01

reddragonbus
Verified Member

DE or CE won't upgrade BE.  Daft, but I believe true.

CE upgrades DE and BE

Board footer