You are not logged in.

#1 19-04-05 20:12:06

rotties2006

hi, im new i failed 1st time need tips

hi, i took my test on 4th march at 1.33pm in cambridge (chester road)
and i failed i got 4 minors and 1 serious.
the serious fault was coz i went when the traffic light turned green but coz i was taking a left i shouldnt have moved as the green left arrow didnt light up.
what i want to know is if that would be a serious.
and 2 i had my driving lesson last wensday april the 13 and i have erm lets say i cant get used to changing gear, the changing part is fine but finding and applying the biting point is hard, oh and i got my next practical test on 27th of may.

so any help would be great thankyou!

19-04-05 20:12:06

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: hi, im new i failed 1st time need tips

#2 19-04-05 20:39:24

m.pearse

well i aint a driving instructor but if there is a green arrowed light there and it didnt come on and you turned i assume it would be a serious. like if a crossing was on the road you turned into, and it was ok for them to cross when your green arrow was off, and you turned you might have knocked them over.

about the biting point on most cars it is different.
my instructors is a 800cc daewoo matiz and mine is a 1242cc 16 v fiat punto. to get mine to to the biting point i let the clutch out slightly and dont have to have any gas. then hold the cluch there, put on the gas to an equal amount and let the clutch out to move forward . witht the daewoo i have to give it a bit more revs to start with and let the clutch out a lot more to make it move wen you feel the car wanting to move ,or creeking you are making it bite a little too much

#3 19-04-05 20:48:08

luchell

well 4 minors sounds a good result, yes that is for sure a serious fault as you moved when you shouldnt have, your lane was still on a red light.
with regards to you finding the biting point what does your instructor feel about this. with only 4 driver faults it doesnt sound like the examiner was bothered by this. perhaps you are doubting your own ability?
do you get a chance to do some private practice as you could become more confident with the gears and clutch control that way. im sure there will be more replys offering some good advice. lol

#4 19-04-05 20:52:09

rotties2006

hi again yes i do need to get used to the biting point i was with bsm in cambridgeshire, but i changed to bsm in peterborough to retake test in peterborough as i didnt fancy waiting till june/july for a new test date, and so i have a new corsa withh a biting point which feels worn alot, the old car the biting point was in middle say and this new car you have to lift the clutch up nearly all the way b4 i get a biting point and i explained to my mum and she said it sounds like worn clutch?

what worrys me is that what if i adjust to this biting point then just b4 my test he changes his car as they change them every 6000 miles i think? and the biting point is totally diff?

#5 19-04-05 20:58:04

m.pearse

maybe try to have a lesson before in the car you will be taking the test in so if this does happen you can adjust

#6 19-04-05 21:03:12

rotties2006

i will be having a lesson just b4 the test, on the practical i was so calm etc gear changing was excellent, so my instructor said and she couldnt fault me on anything it was a stupied mistake i made, but i wasnt mad as its their job to fail you if they have 2 as i would be far more happy to fail for something like that then to kill a child or person for my stupidity, but i need to get used to this biting point im ok on the road bit its when im at roundabouts, i cant get the biting point correctly to move off fast another to keep a safe distance from the other cars! so thats something i will get a dangerous fault for, when i pass its a diff story ill have lots of driving time to get used to my car

#7 19-04-05 21:09:40

m.pearse

if in doubt just give a lot of revs and then release the clutch from the biting point but be careful not to release too quick incase you take off.
basically think like this.
if they are level you will stop
if the clucth is down more than the gas you wont move unless freewheeling and the engine will roar if the gas is on
if the gas is down more than the clucth you will move

#8 19-04-05 21:14:11

rotties2006

ok thankyou for that ill give it a try i have a driving lesson tomorrow at 10.30 am, lets see how it goes maybe hes got a new car lol anyway thankyou all for your help im sure ill be asking some more questions cheers!

#9 19-04-05 21:16:30

luchell

you will get used to it. its the same with any of us experienced drivers to. if i get in my partners car of course i can drive it but it always takes a little while to become comfortable with the way his car reacts when i brake and use the clutch.

all cars have different biting points and brakes that can feel much sharper etc. once you become confident that you can find the bite in any one car you CAN do it in any car as you know what it feel like, sounds like and you may notice the bonnet rise when the bite is achieved. that way it doesnt matter which car youre in to an extent as you will adapt because you know what to look and listen for. hope this helps a little bit.

please dont worry. after a lesson in the new car if you got in the other one it would feel weird lol  youre going to be fine. have faith in yourself and go get em!! lol

#10 19-04-05 21:22:44

m.pearse

good luck mate

#11 20-04-05 09:06:50

rotties2006

got my driving lesson at 10.30 hopefully everything will go great! thx for all your help!

Board footer