You are not logged in.

#1 27-11-09 22:50:54

judy_83

Part 3 Training

OMG, have just finished the 2nd day of my part 3 training.  My head is spinning, am struggling to absorb all the information and apparently 'the 1st 2 days are the easy bit!'

Yesterday was approaching T junctions turning left and right.  Just could not get my head round the detail of instruction needed.  Tried my best but it wasn't good - trust me!

Ok, so loads of study last night preparing for todays lessons.  Really believed today would be great.  Hmm, when we set off for location my trainer told me he would be simulating faults for me.  Went rapidly down hill from there.  Before we pulled away I realised he hadn't checked his right blind spot and just as I was about to mention it he went kangerooing off down the road with shuffle steering and lord knows what else that i missed.  We managed one junction and a bend in the same vein before I collapsed in a fit of mortified giggles and we had to pull over.  Great start!

The TITR and I just could not keep control however much I tried.  Even after i'd got him to slow down, I still couldn't get the instructions out in time for him to do everything necessary before we reached the kerb.  Obs at middle of road?  Reference points?  Yeah right, forget it!  Several attempts and still didn't nail it.  Gutted!

Left and right reverse - by no means perfect but definitely not as bad as the TITR;

Use of mirrors and emergency stop, more of an improvement.  Although I did miss that he was looking at his feet when braking which was why his reaction was slow.  Well silly me, was too busy looking at his feet wasn't I - duh!

On a positive note my briefings aren't too bad.  Need work but not beyond hope thank god.  Please can someone tell me that this is normal cos right now am feeling like I'll never do this.

Sorry for the waffle (bit like my briefings, lol!  Would appreciate advice

Thanks guys.

27-11-09 22:50:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 3 Training

#2 27-11-09 23:00:01

Aspyre

Its normal!!

How could you possibly be perfect at some thing you havent done before and are being trained for??

The trick is to get control.. Dont let the ppl take control because you'll never deal with everything that way.. Grab hold and let it go bit by bit.

Obviously you have to know what to look for and when and you need practice for that.

#3 27-11-09 23:11:27

driver69

I think what you are experiencing is very familiar to most on this forum, certainly is to me  smile It does get easier with practice.

#4 29-11-09 10:22:17

judy_83

Ok, thanks for the words of wisdom guys.  Have been out this weekend practising but its still not clicking into place.  Will keep plugging away til I get it.

Although my trainer has told me that some people just aren't cut out for being an adi (not sure if that was a hint or not!)

Thanks

Judy

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 29-11-09 11:23:13

driver69

Although my trainer has told me that some people just aren't cut out for being an adi (not sure if that was a hint or not!)

I am sure that is true of some people but give it time, you probably are not one of them. I remember after several part 3 training sessions feeling like I was one of those not cut out for it and asking my trainer during a coffee break if he thought I would have what it takes or should I forget it.

Do you have a training buddy? Someone doing part 3 who you can practice with, really helps with the briefings and the talk thru.

#6 29-11-09 14:15:01

on board training

Hi,

I think I have picked up in earlier posts that you say your trainer wanted to spread it over 6 weeks and then another post says 6 hrs a day over 6 days and you appear to have now been out for 2 consecutive days.

Over what period of time is your Part3 training being conducted?

#7 29-11-09 14:34:45

judy_83

No driver 67 I don't have a training buddy.  Don't know anyone so have posted but no takers i'm afraid, but I'm sure it would help.  Not quite sure what else I can do on that one.  Any advice greatfully received!

Yes it was me that posted that my trainer wanted to do part 3 over 6 weeks, but I wasn't happy with that.  So I did 2 consecutive days last week and am doing monday, wednesday, thursday, friday next week.  Unfortunately because of my training company's terms and conditions if i'd have spread my training over 6 weeks I would have only had 4 weeks max on a pink before i had to take my first attempt.  I felt I needed to maximise my chances by taking advantage of any experience available to me.

None of it's ideal i don't think, but i suppose you have to work with what you've got!  lol

Thanks

Judy

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 29-11-09 15:15:28

on board training

Unfortunately because of my training company's terms and conditions if i'd have spread my training over 6 weeks I would have only had 4 weeks max on a pink before i had to take my first attempt.  I felt I needed to maximise my chances by taking advantage of any experience available to me.

I find that incredible there is no way your training should be dictated to you and given as 'a one size fits all' in a companies terms and conditions. What are the terms & conditions written into your training and then trainee badge? If you don't want to post can you PM me?

You should be going for your Pt3 test when you are ready for it and if that takes longer, then so be it. What is the reason you have been given for it being taken within 4wks max once on a trainee badge?

I would suggest that you may be attempting too much training for the Pt3 in too short a timescale.

Frequently we get PDIs approaching us to go on a trainee badge as they have received their minimum 40hrs training elsewhere and often that training is over; either 6 straight days, or two blocks of training (maybe 2 x 3 days or 2days and 4 days) and the first thing we need to do is provide training, sit-ins and mentoring to get them up to an acceptable standard to go out with learners and then continue to work with them to get them prepared for their Pt3 test.

Remember to watch your pupil/trainer as much as you can while thinking how you would use the system (MSPSG) for the actual or potential hazard you are approaching and watch eyes, hands and feet and then focus on your core competancies and follow them through.

Board footer