You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 22-11-09 17:58:43

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Internet phone with local number?

Hi,

When I sat up in business next year I will of course use my mobile number and email contact form but am not keen to use my home phone number in advertising. (Prank calls and also the rest of my family having to answer the phone to my business enquiries)

Does anyone use one of these Internet phones which plugs in to the router? My understanding is you can get a local number for these as well. I think this may be a good idea as not everyone want to ring a mobile number and if I am at home I will know if the Internet phone rings then its work/ booking enquiry.

I just wondered what others do.

Cheers

Jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

22-11-09 17:58:43

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Internet phone with local number?

#2 22-11-09 18:14:25

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

I run purely off mobile myself.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#3 22-11-09 20:11:53

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Jlo31

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

#4 23-11-09 18:36:44

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

The internet phones (VOIP) work well. I believe VOIP is the future and this is what a BT home hub is, however it seems to be in greater use in the commercial sector than domestic. You don't need to buy a phone to take the calls either. You can download softphones for free which turn your computer into a phone and diverts to voicemail when off. If you have ever used Skype this is the more widely known VOIP implementation and they work a bit like Skype. You can also download free mobile phone apps if you have an iPhone or similar. I have Fring on my iPhone so as soon as it gets near my wifi it will make and take VOIP calls.

We have a number of VOIP local numbers and divert them to our 0800 number which has too many free minutes to use the divert costs nothing. Consequently we haven't currently got any VOIP desk phones but did have some at one time. I would suggest getting a good mobile and putting fring on it for the price a VOIP desk phone can be.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#5 23-11-09 18:53:56

reddragonbus
Verified Member

You can get a second phone number which will ring your landline with a different ID tone.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 23-11-09 19:01:26

Roadmaster
Verified Member

You can get a second phone number which will ring your landline with a different ID tone.

I have one, it's called CALL SIGN.  It gives one long ring rather than two short ones.  We use it so that we know who the call is for,  but it's a perfect solution for business.  It cost £2.50 a month.
That's with BT.  Don't know if other providers supply it though.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 23-11-09 19:38:21

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

The internet phones (VOIP) work well. I believe VOIP is the future and this is what a BT home hub is, however it seems to be in greater use in the commercial sector than domestic. You don't need to buy a phone to take the calls either. You can download softphones for free which turn your computer into a phone and diverts to voicemail when off. If you have ever used Skype this is the more widely known VOIP implementation and they work a bit like Skype. You can also download free mobile phone apps if you have an iPhone or similar. I have Fring on my iPhone so as soon as it gets near my wifi it will make and take VOIP calls.

We have a number of VOIP local numbers and divert them to our 0800 number which has too many free minutes to use the divert costs nothing. Consequently we haven't currently got any VOIP desk phones but did have some at one time. I would suggest getting a good mobile and putting fring on it for the price a VOIP desk phone can be.

I will google that now. I have a 'Three' mobile E71 Nokia with inclusive internet. I already have skype on it but will see if Fring is available to download as well? How do I go about registering a locak VOIP number then?

Thanks for your help.

Jlo31

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

#8 23-11-09 20:10:02

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Try voiptalk.org for a number. I am not sure if they are the best value as we have been using them for a long time and haven't investigated alternatives recently. When you buy a number package you just have a couple of things to put in the set up of the phone. Read the help files and set up procedures on some suppliers sites. If it seems too difficult to set up find one that makes sense t you. If the E71 does skype then there are probably VOIP clients available. Your phone will probably need wifi and if you have configured skype then VOIP is just a little bit more complex.

Another Thought - voiptalk.org give you a free 08 number that costs to call. But you could use it to try setting up your phone to see if it works.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#9 23-11-09 20:59:29

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

many thanks for the good advice.

Best wishes

Jlo31