You are not logged in.

#76 15-11-09 17:43:57

on board training

Re: Position for Corners.

Hi Nigel,

I can now appreciate since you qualified in 2002/3(?) that you don't have much experience with teaching Pt2 or 3 and no experience yet in teaching someone who has actually passed a test at IAM or RoSPA level.

What kind of work load have you had in relation to learners and Fleet since you qualified and what do you think you may need to do to increase your confidence to conduct Pt2 & Pt3 training as there is a good market there for it?

Can you explain why you don't feel confident to teach Pt2 training but you do feel confident to offer to teach advanced and fleet?

Cheers, Brian

15-11-09 17:43:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#77 15-11-09 18:27:12

ExAdiNigel

Hi Nigel,

I can now appreciate since you qualified in 2002/3(?) that you don't have much experience with teaching Pt2 or 3 and no experience yet in teaching someone who has actually passed a test at IAM or RoSPA level.

What kind of work load have you had in relation to learners and Fleet since you qualified and what do you think you may need to do to increase your confidence to conduct Pt2 & Pt3 training as there is a good market there for it?

Can you explain why you don't feel confident to teach Pt2 training but you do feel confident to offer to teach advanced and fleet?

Cheers, Brian

Hang on a minute, what is this?  A frigging interview?  Why do I now need to justify why I do what work?  So what if I haven't trained anyone to actually take the IAM test or the RoSPA test through the local groups?  (Actually, thinking about it, I have trained someone up to pass the RoSPA test at Gold!)  I have done quite a bit of fleet training through Drive & Survive, Drivetech, RoSPA and the AA.  I'm not going to go back through all my records and break down what work was DSA based and what work was Roadcraft based.

As a RoSPA Diploma holder I have been involved in Tutor training with teh local RoSPA group and I attend observer/tutor training sessions/meetings which often includes a local examiner which is where I receive some of the info about what examiners are looking for & what they will allow or not allow.

Oh, I suppose I ought to add that I first passed an advanced test in 1974 before RoSPA took over from the League Of Safe Drivers.

Why do I feel more confident to teach fleet than part 2/3?  Because I have done a lot more of it & received more training in it too!

There!  Is that enough to allow me to have my own opinion? :?    roll

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#78 15-11-09 18:59:20

daz6215
Verified Member

cast that fly out again! :evil: was that a bite? tongue

#79 15-11-09 19:16:11

on board training

Hi,

LOL, (you do tend to take some things a bit serious and are on the defensive a bit more than some)

Not an interview . . . just curious why you became so defensive when someone earlier in thread said you weren't qualified to teach a particular aspect of advanced driving and then you stated you weren't confident to teach part 2 which in some respects, in my opinion, should be easier than teaching someone for the Advanced Tests especially the RoSPA Gold.

I also find it rather interesting if you are or have been so active with fleet work that you didn't initially connect immediately when i asked you what system you used for your different customers.

I was merely trying to find out a bit more about the person behind the keyboard although I had, as stated in an earlier post sussed out how that person may react due to the personality traits that were coming through in some replies.

You really shouldn't take things so personally, chill out, relax and think about taking at least a little of what we are talking about on board. You never know where it may lead you.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#80 15-11-09 19:51:46

ExAdiNigel

Hi,

LOL, (you do tend to take some things a bit serious and are on the defensive a bit more than some)

Defensive?  Or trying to give reasons why I do what I do? At times, perhaps I do take things a bit seriously, particularly when others try telling what I should or shouldn't be doing.  eg ADI Education stating that I wasn't qualified to teach what I teach (but then that isn't teh first time Jane has spoken through her arse!) and yourself saying that we should all only be teaching one system regardless of what level we are teaching at.  Again, it isn't you to tell us what we should and shouldn't do.  Yes give an opinion and why you feel that way, but then you became a touch inflexible and that had to be the only way.  Sorry, but it isn't.  But again, at teh end of this post, it is back to you suggesting that I should be changing to match your way - you really don't like others having a different view to yourself do you?

.....You really shouldn't take things so personally, chill out, relax and think about taking at least a little of what we are talking about on board. You never know where it may lead you.

For example?  Just what should I be taking on board?

Nice to see you are now happy to open up and use a name rather than continue to hide behind a pseudonym!

Nigel

#81 15-11-09 20:08:42

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

''you do tend to take some things a bit serious and are on the defensive a bit more than some''
I agree big_smile
It is only yourself that that thinks I am patronising, I have manged to have constructive debates with many others; maybe it is the antagonistic, petty comments that I receive from you in reply to my posts that lead me to be a little more forceful with my opinion that I would otherwise be.
Any way back to the subject in hand I am a little confused as to why you feel you can train someone for fleet and not part 2, there isn't or shouldn't be a  lot of difference (criteria actually tougher for fleet 4 minors). You promote flexible teaching but seem unable to apply the principles if you feel that there is a conflict between the instructional techniques required neutral
As for who the hell I think I am;, Nigel I am just another ADI on this forum expressing an opinion and learning from others . Who are you?
Extending on corners: I'm now getting weary on this one, I have given my reasons (as have others) why I feel it is inappropriate to teach this technique to the general public. You do not appear to have an awful lot of experience in this area of training so maybe it is time to go and mull over all the information/ advice you have been given and make your own mind up what is right. neutral

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

#82 15-11-09 20:11:10

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

Nigel
please don't be rude it is not nice or necessary it is a grown up debate.

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

#83 15-11-09 20:49:44

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Any way back to the subject in hand I am a little confused as to why you feel you can train someone for fleet and not part 2, there isn't or shouldn't be a  lot of difference (criteria actually tougher for fleet 4 minors).

Hi I am confused about this? I think Nigel means he does fleet assessment driving. Where did the 4 minors come in to the equation? Is that for going for the fleet exams via the DSA so an ADI can join the fleet register?

Cheers

Jlo3

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

#84 15-11-09 21:10:57

on board training

Hi,

Having not been on here for a while, (but trying to make up for it a bit wink ) I have actually gone and read back the last couple of months of posts made by 'Jane' and I really couldn't disagree with you more on the adverse comment you have made about where she may be speaking from.

If you are are an active member of your advanced driving group, you may consider (note not should!) get involved to get the Group up to date with what is expected, for some reason those involved appear to be reluctant to change what they are doing in relation to positioning and are now several years out-dated and causing some long threads on a forum and generating healthy reasoned debate.  neutral

I am not really saying that all need to be teaching one system but I think it is quite clear (granted to me anyway) that there is really only one system and that system is used by DSA and in Roadcraft. (it is then the flexibility and application of said system that makes the difference).

Cheers, Brian

#85 15-11-09 22:10:25

ExAdiNigel

''you do tend to take some things a bit serious and are on the defensive a bit more than some''
I agree big_smile
It is only yourself that that thinks I am patronising,

No, not you!  Some of your posts have been patronising & condescending.  It isn't something you continually do, much of it goes back to a phrase you used to like using about everyone else 'missing the point'.

I have manged to have constructive debates with many others; maybe it is the antagonistic, petty comments that I receive from you in reply to my posts that lead me to be a little more forceful with my opinion that I would otherwise be.

Be as forceful as you like, but it isn't your place to tell me I am not qualified to teach techniques from Roadcraft when I actually have a qualification (RoADAR Diploma in Advanced Instruction (car)) that qualifies me to do exactly that!  If you still feel strongly that I am teaching/coaching in an area I am not qualified to for then you had better look into reporting me to someone, because I certainly wont be stopping just because you say I'm not qualified! tongue

Any way back to the subject in hand I am a little confused as to why you feel you can train someone for fleet and not part 2,

Because I choose to train fleet and I choose not to train for part 2.  Is it not my personal choice as to which fields I train in?

there isn't or shouldn't be a  lot of difference (criteria actually tougher for fleet 4 minors). You promote flexible teaching but seem unable to apply the principles if you feel that there is a conflict between the instructional techniques required neutral

Unable?  No, I made a choice.

As for who the hell I think I am;, Nigel I am just another ADI on this forum expressing an opinion and learning from others . Who are you?

Who am I?  I am Nigel.  That is why I sign my posts with that name.  I post openly under my own name.  No hiding!  Anyway, you post was phrased as much more than a simple opinion.  You stated that I was not qualified.  I am qualified.  I post my qualifications in my signature, one of which is the RoSPA Diploma a qualification I am proud of which does qualify me to teach advanced techniques from Roadcraft.  Actually, every ADI on here is qualified to teach advanced driving, they have all passed an advanced test and have the registration to train to an advanced level for money.

Extending on corners: I'm now getting weary on this one, I have given my reasons (as have others) why I feel it is inappropriate to teach this technique to the general public. You do not appear to have an awful lot of experience in this area of training so maybe it is time to go and mull over all the information/ advice you have been given and make your own mind up what is right. neutral

You're getting weary? 

I have made up my own mind.  That is my right.  You haven't given me an argument that I feel changes my mind.  I have given you my reasons why I will continue to raise the subject on training sessions.  If you can't accept those reasons then I couldn't really give a toss.  Not having your blessing will hardly cause me any loss of sleep.

Having not been on here for a while, (but trying to make up for it a bit wink ) I have actually gone and read back the last couple of months of posts made by 'Jane' and I really couldn't disagree with you more on the adverse comment you have made about where she may be speaking from.

In some of her early posts Jane liked to tell people that we were all missing the point!  But teh main place where Jane was talking crap was when she told me I wasn't qualified.  Which is just a little wrong.  Making false accusations is not right and is probably just a tad more serious than my suggestion that she had spoken through another part of her anatomy! big_smile  In fact, if she tries making that same false accusation again, I will be raising the issue with the Forum moderators!

If you are are an active member of your advanced driving group, you may consider (note not should!) get involved to get the Group up to date with what is expected, for some reason those involved appear to be reluctant to change what they are doing in relation to positioning and are now several years out-dated and causing some long threads on a forum and generating healthy reasoned debate.  neutral

Again! Says you!  Why are you so adamant that it is us in the wrong?  We had a meeting with our local senior IAM examiner just a couple of weeks ago.  How much more up to date can we be?  Why should I be taking your word over that of other trainers & examiners from both the IAM and RoSPA?

I am not really saying that all need to be teaching one system but I think it is quite clear (granted to me anyway) that there is really only one system and that system is used by DSA and in Roadcraft. (it is then the flexibility and application of said system that makes the difference).

Cheers, Brian

That's fine.  You see it as one system.  I see it as two closely related systems.  Jane in a previous post refers to two systems.  This isn't something that has to have a right or wrong.  I can live with you training to your one system - it doesn't cause me a problem.  Does it really cause you a problem if someone else doesn't see them as one system?

Nigel

#86 16-11-09 07:56:59

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

Hi I am confused about this? I think Nigel means he does fleet assessment driving. Where did the 4 minors come in to the equation?
Yes I was referring to the the qualification criteria for Part 2 and Fleet. Sorry may have got the wrong end of the stick there.

#87 16-11-09 08:16:42

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

Nigel
this is my last on this thread as I no feel the debate with yourself is no productive. what a shame sad
you may want to read the post again referring to your 'qualification to teach'  it was stated in respect to police driving and having exceptions to use extending in the manner it was intended.
So you take offence about a comment about 'missing the point' (again out of context) move on Nigel!
You have not backed up your theories / ideas with constructive augments what so ever  :?more of a defensive rant/shout at those that dare to disagree with you.
I hope you are getting this message is loud and clear it can be difficult to clearly hear the true message when you assume it is spoken from the arse. big_smile
Until next time
Cheers
Jane 

#88 16-11-09 17:38:19

ExAdiNigel

Nigel
this is my last on this thread as I no feel the debate with yourself is no productive. what a shame sad
you may want to read the post again referring to your 'qualification to teach'  it was stated in respect to police driving and having exceptions to use extending in the manner it was intended.

Was it?   But your comment didn't even mention the Police!

So you take offence about a comment about 'missing the point' (again out of context) move on Nigel!

That was old hat, but I raised that because Brian appeared unaware of another time when you were talking rubbish!

You have not backed up your theories / ideas with constructive augments what so ever  :?more of a defensive rant/shout at those that dare to disagree with you.

Defensive rant?  You're entitled to your opinion.  Some of the defensive, perhaps, comes in because I felt I was being attacked.  How constructive is it to accuse another poster of not being qualified to teach teh general public?

I hope you are getting this message is loud and clear it can be difficult to clearly hear the true message when you assume it is spoken from the arse. big_smile

Ah!  The voice of experience! big_smile

Nigel

#89 16-11-09 21:33:52

KevB
Verified Member
Website

ROFL @ Nigel.

Now that brought a chuckle from me.

#90 17-11-09 08:05:04

ExAdiNigel

Cue music.  Imagine Napolean XIV with the song "They're coming to take me away".  Here are some more "Insane rantings" as my comments have been referred to by someone in a pm to me!  roll

Firstly, I suppose I really should apologise for suggesting that Jane has spoken out of her arse on 2 occasions.  It was rude of me to use the phraseology that I did.

I took this comment out of context (apparently!) yikes.  I am sorry to harp back to this one but I would like to quote what Jane posted on this again.

....The problem with the general public doing this sort of thing is that  they have not been trained to do it safely, (you Nigel are NOT qualified to do that)  roll also these sort of actions do not meet with other roads users expectations which could and does lead to conflict.

It's odd to hear Jane say that she was talking about Police training, yet there is no mention of the Police in the paragraph, in fact she specifically mentions the 'General Public'.  But hey!  How is it then me taking her out of context, :? rather than her getting it wrong! yikes  Ho hum!  Maybe in the little world of "Jane's driver training" I am not even qualified to tie shoelaces but, we are working in the real world.  In the real world I am qualified to be involved in road safety training at varying levels from novice cyclist to advanced driver.  Sorry Jane, but this is the real worldroll

I would just like to state that there are several members on this site who are ex Police :police:, female or even both.  None of whom I have a problem with!  I really wouldn't base my opinion of someone on their career history.  I will discuss their views, who they are is, largely, irrelevant to the discussion.

I enjoy discussions on this forum but I will not be brow-beaten by another poster who tries to insist I must adopt their viewpoint.  Throughout this thread I have put my viewpoint but at no point have I insisted that I am right and other posters are wrong, unlike one or two others.  Yes I was rude to use the phrase "not the first time Jane has talked through her arse" but that doesn't excuse teh fact that you were talking complete and utter rubbish when you said I was not qualified to teach the General Public - that was bordering on the edge of being libellous/slanderous (I can never remember which is which!).  Making unfounded comments like that can affect how others think.

Nigel

#91 17-11-09 10:04:37

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

Nigel
You really must stop now.
This thread is no longer constructive and you are becoming incoherent  sad

#92 17-11-09 10:44:05

KevB
Verified Member
Website

This is getting all too personal.

Nigel and I have expressed differing views on some aspects of driving and driver training of experienced drivers for several years.

It's never got personal, and we both respect each others viewpoints, and have only ever debated the views and not each other.

Most of our differences have centred around "advanced driving" and what it means to SOME of the members/observers/assesors of the "Advanced Driving Organisations".

As it happens, straightlining and using opposing traffic lanes is probably the main area where we differ.

That said, I find it hard to find where he is advocating that he teaches it, although he is prepared to do it himself, and prepared to allow others to do whilst observing. He has also said he discusses it when it occurs.

I see nothing wrong with that approach to driving education.

He has a different view to me on those aspects of driving techniques, and their "benefits" to the general driving populas, but I really fail to see anything wrong in how he addresses those issues.
Indeed, he encourages careful appraisal by his clients, and educates them as to when he considers such use of road space is safe and appropriate to carry out those techniques.

From there on, it is the drivers choice as to, if and when, he chooses to employ those driving lines. But at least he does so with an understanding of the "benefits" and risks invloved.

Better to have a greater understanding of such techniques before using them than to have little understanding and yet still use them.

Remember, Nigel discusses it when it occurs in the clients own driving, and doesn't actively introduce the topic.

As such , he isn't promoting those driving lines, but rather, addressing the issues when presented with them.

#93 17-11-09 10:48:03

Luchell
Verified Member

Right, I think that's enough. If you cannot contribute without getting personal to others perhaps its best just to read and not reply. ALL posts on topic please.

#94 17-11-09 11:14:23

VandADI
Administrator

I have received a few pm's about this thread, and agree with Luchell/Kev that it is getting far too personal.
May we now draw a line under all that has been said and move on please?

#95 17-11-09 14:24:06

on board training

Hi,

A little support from someone 'ROFL' and cue Nigel to try again! Sorry Nigel but I have read a lot of your posts now and you have had a lot of positives to contribute to various threads and you obviously have a lot of experience and I think a reply like you have done simply takes away from that.

This was never meant as a personal attack on anyone but I hope most on here, with their experience, can see reading through the posts that there are several references of not teaching the general public to 'offside' or go 'opposing carriageway' just for vision and stability and also that it is something that is taught through roadcraft to the police and emergency services.

This forum is read not only by ADIs and those in Advanced driving Circles but also the general motoring public and as driving instructors we should not be seen to be interpreting things to suit ourselves or to read into something a meaning or rule that isn't there.

Nigel has mentioned in another thread on this subject about straightlining roundabouts that he 'will tend to only recommend straightening to someone with experience' I may be wrong but I would take 'recommend' as a bit stronger than comment on it when a driver does it!

Reading this thread again, and as early as 3rd post it is mentioned that IAM & RoSPA don't use the methods being endorsed by some in their driving and teaching (it is mentioned that some previous trainers have been ex-police drivers, for whom there are good reasons for this[but only in their operational driving]). It is then mentioned a few more times that not only IAM and RoSPA don't, but neither do DSA.

So as I have mentioned in earlier post, the trainers, examiners and Advanced Driving groups who are using these methods are out of date by several years the way they are teaching, and HQ of IAM & RoSPA who lay down said guidelines for them would not want these methods passed to the general motoring public.

I have actually checked with a RoSPA Senior Examiner this afternoon and he is very clear on his understanding and RoSPAs guidelines that the 'offsiding' and straightlining of roundabouts (laned ones) referred to in this post are only appropriate when used by the police and training police or emergency service drivers. Unless something has changed very recently then this should still be the case for IAM.

When I was fleet training a few years agao there were a few fleet trainers then who were out of date and caused a few issues on training days by bringing in the old out-dated methods.

I find no issue with taking on new thoughts and teaching styles but do see problems ahead for our industry due to maybe more than a select few who think they know better than IAM & RoSPA HQ when it comes down to passing on the Advanced driving Styles to the general motoring public.

There is a huge difference to driving a particular way yourself and knowing it is not what should be taught, but you do know the consequences of you not driving the proper and safest way, to actually recommending to others to go offside or straighline roundabouts.

AND yes, I think this has been done to death on here but no doubt will raise its head again due to some trainers, examiners and Advanced driving Groups doing their own thing.

#96 17-11-09 19:49:46

ExAdiNigel

I thought you were going to stop Jane?

Nigel
this is my last on this thread

Or am I taking that comment out of context too?

Nigel
You really must stop now.
This thread is no longer constructive and you are becoming incoherent  sad

Ah!  It is I who must stop!   

Jane, where do you get this idea that it is for you to tell me when I must stop posting?  Have you bought the site from Vanda without telling us? big_smile

Brian,

....This was never meant as a personal attack on anyone but I hope most on here, with their experience, can see reading through the posts that there are several references of not teaching the general public to 'offside' or go 'opposing carriageway' just for vision and stability and also that it is something that is taught through roadcraft to the police and emergency services.

Yes it is taught to the Emergency Services and, yes, there are references, in the earlier posts, to not teaching the general public to offside.  So what?  I won't not do something just because somone like Jane tells me not to or that I am not qualified to teach it.

This forum is read not only by ADIs and those in Advanced driving Circles but also the general motoring public and as driving instructors we should not be seen to be interpreting things to suit ourselves or to read into something a meaning or rule that isn't there.

Surely you aren't suggesting we should be censoring our views?  Surely by openly discussing these topics, anyone who takes an interest and cares to read these forums can make a slightly more informed decision about what techniques they employ in their driving.  We need to be careful about taking a stance that suggests we look down on people and think they are incapable of intelligent thought, just because they aren't employed by the emergency services.  That would be condescending!

Nigel has mentioned in another thread on this subject about straightlining roundabouts that he 'will tend to only recommend straightening to someone with experience' I may be wrong but I would take 'recommend' as a bit stronger than comment on it when a driver does it!

If a driver straightens a roundabout on a training session it will be discussed.  We will consider what advantages there may be and what risks there may be.  We will consider how we can minimise those risks.  If the driver is a learner then I would recommend they don't straighten any roundbouts at least until they have passed their test.  Having discussed the subject with DSA examiners, some don't like the idea of roundabouts being straightened and consider novices to be too inexperienced to do it safely, therefore I try to get my learners into the habit of not straightening.  There are definately times when I would recommend straightening, there are occasions where it can make others much more aware of where you are going.

Reading this thread again, and as early as 3rd post it is mentioned that IAM & RoSPA don't use the methods being endorsed by some in their driving and teaching (it is mentioned that some previous trainers have been ex-police drivers, for whom there are good reasons for this[but only in their operational driving]). It is then mentioned a few more times that not only IAM and RoSPA don't, but neither do DSA.

So as I have mentioned in earlier post, the trainers, examiners and Advanced Driving groups who are using these methods are out of date by several years the way they are teaching, and HQ of IAM & RoSPA who lay down said guidelines for them would not want these methods passed to the general motoring public.

This is becoming very tiresome.  Why can't you accept that not all IAM & RoSPA trainers and examiners follow this path that you are advocating?  It doesn't mean that they're out of date or bad just because they don't follow your beliefs.  Just because someone has a different viewpoint from yourself, doesn't make them wrong.

I think you may find there is a certain amount of 'political correctness' or fear of litigation at work on this topic.  RoSPA and the IAM are unlikely to openly push people to use some techniques to the extreme because they fear prosecution if it goes wrong for someone.  Unofficially, I think you will find that it is far from out of date.

I have actually checked with a RoSPA Senior Examiner this afternoon and he is very clear on his understanding and RoSPAs guidelines that the 'offsiding' and straightlining of roundabouts (laned ones) referred to in this post are only appropriate when used by the police and training police or emergency service drivers. Unless something has changed very recently then this should still be the case for IAM.

Fine, if this chap is your local examiner then follow his recommendations when training others to take the test.  The main difference between our viewpoints, as I see it, is that you want everyine to stop doing it (unless they're employed by the emergency services), whereas I would rather leave it up to the individual to make a personal, informed choice.

When I was fleet training a few years agao there were a few fleet trainers then who were out of date and caused a few issues on training days by bringing in the old out-dated methods.

I find no issue with taking on new thoughts and teaching styles but do see problems ahead for our industry due to maybe more than a select few who think they know better than IAM & RoSPA HQ when it comes down to passing on the Advanced driving Styles to the general motoring public.

Absolutely.  It could be very dangerous if some think they know better than the IAM or RoSPA HQ.  I'm pleased to say that the IAM and RoSPA trainers I have come across so far have all had Road safety very close to their hearts and haven't shown any signs of knowing better than the HQs.

Nigel

#97 17-11-09 21:30:35

on board training

Hi Nigel,

You really are quite funny in your attitude and approach to what is being discussed here and I don't mean funny ha, ha. neutral

When you mention you have done a lot of Fleet for RoSPA was that as a standard Fleet Trainer or was it a team leader?

As part of your fleet work with RoSPA have you conducted any of the assessor training courses?

Also, when you worked with Drivetech, did you do their fleet course and were you supervised on any training days with their senior trainer?

For some obscure reason, as if to prove a point you appear to be lacking in your 'affective' domain (Bloom's taxonomy for those watching thread who haven't heard of it) in relation to change and it may take something quite extreme to change your attitude towards the 'positioning viewpont'. It stands to reason, that if you don't and you stick by your viewpoint instead of actually trying to lead by example, you're merely blindly following other IAM trainers, tutors and examiners and it is only a matter of time 'til things don't go in your favour when someone get's it wrong.

The RoSPA Examiner I spoke to was not my local exmainer, he is one of the top examiners for RoSPA.

You are clearly wrong to say you are an experienced IAM & RoSPA trainer when you do not follow through the National Associations Guidelines on how two important areas should be taught to members of the public under-taking advanced driver training or fleet training. Anyone involved in fleet work, knows that it is much easier as a fleet trainer to coach drivers on a half or full day course rather than train them up to pass an advanced test.

You keep asking why i can't accept that 'not all IAM & RoSPA trainers and examiners follow this path that you are advocating?  It doesn't mean that they're out of date or bad just because they don't follow your beliefs.  Just because someone has a different viewpoint from yourself, doesn't make them wrong.

You seem to have missed the clear point that IAM & RoSPA do not advocate this style of driving, so the individuals who are following their own path should not be saying they are teaching to the IAM or RoSPA Advanced Driving Standards, when clearly they are not. It would then follow that they are teaching to a different standard - like 'Nigel's Advanced Driving' but then again that doesn't quite have the same ring to it for most except 'Nigel'.

I would like to clearly state as well that should a driver decide to offside or straightline roundabouts with lanes, then so be it, but for them to say they are doing it as that is how IAM & RoSPA Advanced driver's should do it and the current version of Roadcraft doesn't say they can't do it, then that is when they will be seen to be the sub-standard IAM & RoSPA driver/tutor that they are. My opinion of course!

If they say I am doing it to 'hoon' about with my car and I know the consequences of doing it Nigel's way then so be it but don't do it under the pretence of it being the way true IAM & RoSPA Advanced Drivers do it.

AND after all that it must be a wind up from Nigel as he couldn't possibly be serious!!!!! :police:

#98 17-11-09 22:20:43

ExAdiNigel

Hi Nigel,

You really are quite funny in your attitude and approach to what is being discussed here and I don't mean funny ha, ha. neutral

:?

Oh!  Are we back to the interrogation?  OK, I'm sitting comfortably

When you mention you have done a lot of Fleet for RoSPA was that as a standard Fleet Trainer or was it a team leader?

Both.

As part of your fleet work with RoSPA have you conducted any of the assessor training courses?

No

Also, when you worked with Drivetech, did you do their fleet course and were you supervised on any training days with their senior trainer?

No to their fleet course as they didn't have any scheduled at the time.  They recommended the RoSPA Diploma.  Yes I was supervised on training days by their senior trainer.

For some obscure reason, as if to prove a point you appear to be lacking in your 'affective' domain (Bloom's taxonomy for those watching thread who haven't heard of it) in relation to change and it may take something quite extreme to change your attitude towards the 'positioning viewpont'.

Wow!  My 'affective' domain?  Sorry that just went over my head and I'm not inclined to research it just now, sorry.  Perhaps you could start a new thread on that?

in relation to change and it may take something quite extreme to change your attitude towards the 'positioning viewpont'. It stands to reason, that if you don't and you stick by your viewpoint instead of actually trying to lead by example, you're merely blindly following other IAM trainers, tutors and examiners and it is only a matter of time 'til things don't go in your favour when someone get's it wrong.

OK.  So because I don't change my viewpoint to match yours I am blindly following other trainers, tutors and examners.  Does that also mean you are blindly following other trainers, tutors & examiners too?  Or are your eyes open in some different way to mine? :?

The RoSPA Examiner I spoke to was not my local exmainer, he is one of the top examiners for RoSPA.

OK.  Why does that make him more credible than any other RoSPA senior examiner?  Or more credible than Bob Smalley the chief examiner who examined my at the end of the Diploma course and also checked my driving at a later stage as part of an interview.

You are clearly wrong to say you are an experienced IAM & RoSPA trainer when you do not follow through the National Associations Guidelines on how two important areas should be taught to members of the public under-taking advanced driver training or fleet training. Anyone involved in fleet work, knows that it is much easier as a fleet trainer to coach drivers on a half or full day course rather than train them up to pass an advanced test.

Ah!  Taking a leaf out of Jane's book now are we?  So I am wrong to say I am an experienced IAM & RoSPA trainer?  That's ok.  I can live without your endorsment of my skills.  I'll not be losing any sleep over that.

You keep asking why i can't accept that 'not all IAM & RoSPA trainers and examiners follow this path that you are advocating?  It doesn't mean that they're out of date or bad just because they don't follow your beliefs.  Just because someone has a different viewpoint from yourself, doesn't make them wrong.

You seem to have missed the clear point that IAM & RoSPA do not advocate this style of driving, so the individuals who are following their own path should not be saying they are teaching to the IAM or RoSPA Advanced Driving Standards, when clearly they are not. It would then follow that they are teaching to a different standard - like 'Nigel's Advanced Driving' but then again that doesn't quite have the same ring to it for most except 'Nigel'.

I'm missing the point?   Another leaf out of the Janes World book eh?  Of course!  It is me that is missing the point, couldn't possible be you could it?

I would like to clearly state as well that should a driver decide to offside or straightline roundabouts with lanes, then so be it,

Shock!  Horror!  A smidgeon of acceptance that others may not do things your way! yikes

but for them to say they are doing it as that is how IAM & RoSPA Advanced driver's should do it and the current version of Roadcraft doesn't say they can't do it, then that is when they will be seen to be the sub-standard IAM & RoSPA driver/tutor that they are. My opinion of course!

The only thing I would suggest that a driver do something "as that is how IAM & RoSPA Advanced driver's should do it" is whatever you do, do it safely & don't inconvenience others.

If they say I am doing it to 'hoon' about with my car and I know the consequences of doing it Nigel's way then so be it but don't do it under the pretence of it being the way true IAM & RoSPA Advanced Drtivers do it.

Unfortunately you have lostme again with your terminology, "'hoon' about with my car"?
Forunately I don't have that big an ego I feel the need to invent my 'own way'.  I am quite happy to base my training on Roadcraft & any variations from RoSPA & IAM HQ, trainers, observers, tutors & examiners.  Why would I want to reinvent the wheel?

AND after all that it must be a wind up from Nigel as he couldn't possibly be serious!!!!! :police:

About what?

#99 17-11-09 22:41:34

on board training

Hi,

I won't get much more involved in this at the moment as others will read into what they want at what we are both saying.

However suffice to say that driving instructors should have an understanding of the domains of learning and - Blooms taxonomy, in this area is the most quoted and is well worth a look - in simple terms the three domains of learning relate to knowledge base (cognitive domain) , skills base (psychomotor domain) and attitude based (the effective domain) - So simply put a person knows what should be done, they can do it but refuse to do it properly or consistently then it is the attitude or effective domain that is weak - it actually aids the accuracy of instruction and helps an instructor to work through the core competancies if you can work out which domain is the main cause of the fault.

I will give Bob a ring to clarify his and RoSPAs stance on the postioning for cornering and straightlining, was speaking to him at end of last week. The examiner I spoke to is directly below Bob and is in charge of a number of regional examiners. I willbe surprised if Bob's official stance is not the same as I have been advised and previously posted. :?

In light of all the above it is important to get a consistent message across all the advanced driving groups. i will revert in due course.  roll

#100 18-11-09 07:23:33

ExAdiNigel

Hi,

I won't get much more involved in this at the moment as others will read into what they want at what we are both saying.

However suffice to say that driving instructors should have an understanding of the domains of learning and - Blooms taxonomy, in this area is the most quoted and is well worth a look - in simple terms the three domains of learning relate to knowledge base (cognitive domain) , skills base (psychomotor domain) and attitude based (the effective domain) - So simply put a person knows what should be done, they can do it but refuse to do it properly or consistently then it is the attitude or effective domain that is weak - it actually aids the accuracy of instruction and helps an instructor to work through the core competancies if you can work out which domain is the main cause of the fault.

Ah!  So were you saying that I have an attitude problem with this?

OK, let's bring things down to my level then.  I remember at several points of my training that for an idea to be taken on consistently by a client that we need to make sure they understand why they should/shouldn't do something a particular way.  Using that sort of idea, I wouldn't tell a client of mine that "You mustn't do that because HQ says you mustn't" or "You mustn't do that because you have never worked for the emergency services".  I would much rather talk to the client and, using such tools as Q&A, help them understand the risks involved in the use of a particular technique and get them to balance the risks against the benefits - regardless of what that technique is.

I will give Bob a ring to clarify his and RoSPAs stance on the postioning for cornering and straightlining, was speaking to him at end of last week. The examiner I spoke to is directly below Bob and is in charge of a number of regional examiners. I willbe surprised if Bob's official stance is not the same as I have been advised and previously posted. :?

In light of all the above it is important to get a consistent message across all the advanced driving groups. i will revert in due course.  roll

Bob's official stance?  Will probably be that you shouldn't cross the centre line on a left hand bend.  But feel free to mention names (I am Nigel Allerton and I live in Swindon) and why not tell him that you consider me to be a bad & out of date trainer too!).

A scenario.....A client offsides, or using opposing carriageway as you prefer to call, it on a training session with you.  You survive.   What would you say to him/her?

Nigel

Board footer