You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 15-03-04 17:51:26

rusty
Verified Member
Website

City & Guilds Further Education Teachers Cert

Hi,
    Anyone acheived this qualification ?. Feedback would be appreciated.
If i"m on the right lines is held over a year at local colleges.
Just checked the website of local colleges and they show it covering 2 stages part 1 10 weeks and part 2 23 weeks.
I think that applicants have to have a relevant occupational qualification and its an interview first ?. Costs ?

15-03-04 17:51:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: City & Guilds Further Education Teachers Cert

#2 15-03-04 22:14:01

Midge
Website

Yes I took that course at a local college, when the theory test was going to start.  You do have to have a qualification, and I found that most of the other students were hairdressers and nurses.  There were others though.
Quite frankly, I was disappointed.  Apparently, the college gets one third of the money they are allocated for each person signing up for the course, then another third for each student who finishes, and the final payment is made on how many pass the exams.  The college aren't going to fail many, are they? They only check a few peoples work at the end anyway.  The rules may have changed, but you had to have so many hours teaching observed by a senior lecturer.  In our case we can use driving lessons, as well as any classroom lessons you can organise.  We also had to sit in with someone teaching something other than our own subject.  I watched a friend who taught electrics at another college, that was really interesting.  I hadn't realised what a brilliant teacher he was. We also had to "teach" the rest of the class, using some method we hadn't used before.   I went out with my husband one Sunday afternoon with a video camera set up in the car, and filmed some hazards.  On the lesson I asked the students to see how many hazards they could identify.
one fellow found 21.  On a 20 minute video, taken on a Sunday afternoon? Just shows how dangerous our roads are sad
I felt it was "bums on seats", people were getting the qualification who had hardly ever turned up for a lecture, because the college were more interested in getting their money.
Sorry, can't remember the cost, it will have changed now anyway.

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#3 15-03-04 23:12:38

rusty
Verified Member
Website

Midge.
         Thanks for the speedy response and honest feedback, did you feel that you developed as a result of this training even if it was through your exposure to other students.
I feel a little isolated apart from forums like this. smile

#4 16-03-04 08:36:48

Midge
Website

I felt it was mostly a waste of time, unlike the diploma, most of which was relevent.  The lecturers didn't have a clue about our problems, one actually told my pupil ( this was an observed lesson) that the left reverse she had done was better than she herself could do.  This made the pupil think she must be really good and should be booking her test. She had completely forgotten her observation.  Yes anyone can make a car go backwards, its knowing what everyone else on the road is doing that makes it difficult.  S.S.E's wouldn't make a comment like this DURING the lesson or test, they know better.
The only good thing was watching another lecturer, but we could all probably arrange to do this anyway.

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#5 18-03-04 19:11:28

Mr C
Website

I gained the FAETC certificate (730.7) way back in 1992.

I found it of some benefit - at least it served to get me a job as a college lecturer!

I haven't ever thought of mentioning it in the context of driving instruction - guess I should - but it really is "Further and Adult Education Teaching Certificate" so why should that be of any use to my learner drivers?

I didn't pay for the course - it was funded by the college that was employing me...

It was a three hour session, once a week - with a few (can't remember how many) observed lessons...

Even back then, as Midge points out recently, most people were nurses - or already employed within the college...

The certificate enables you to teach anything for which you hold a qualification...  never mind how well you know the subject!

A

#6 20-04-04 21:03:37

rusty
Verified Member
Website

Went to the local college tonight for a presentation on this qualification and other such as Cert Ed. Stumblin block appears to be the requirement that teaching has to be given to groups of people ie not acceptable delivering training on a one to one basis.

#7 20-04-04 21:12:27

Mr C
Website

So...  how many local groups can you think of that may benefit from a "lesson" about road safety, driving, highway code, etc, etc, etc...

Red Cross and St John Ambulance have weekly meetings, and use volunteers to drive their vehicles with little or no training...  A lesson about "Red Mist" or "High Speed Techniques"??

The local college itself - must have classes where you could jump in and teach a lesson on "Hazard Awareness"...

A local church may have a youth group - 16 and 17 year olds just dying to learn a bit about it before they get out there and do it...

There are all sorts of groups just waiting to be taught...

...don't let the worry about being able to find one put you off...

I have remembered a little more about my course - and remembered having four lessons observed...  above are four ideas!!!

I'm sure between us, we can come up with many many more for you and for others considering this course...

Andy

#8 21-04-04 06:43:08

rusty
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for your thoughts andy

Board footer