You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 12-11-09 12:46:56

Dave G

Passed Part 1 - with no help from a sheep!!

Hi All

Passed Part 1 this morning scoring 100% (I have been swatting though).

The Hazard Perception was a totally different story - score - 57!!!!

I scored 0 on one clip and you had to be there to believe it. I reckon this was my thought process through the scoring window:

Clip shows moorland road - My thoughts - Look out for cyclists, pedestrians, picnics, tractors, oncoming traffic and horses.

This is what happened:

Clip starts - I see a what looks like a white paper bag at the side of the road, the white paper bag stands up and looks at me, its a baa lamb!!

My scoring window -
5 - Its a paper bag.
4 - Why is a paper bag standing up and looking at me.
3 - Its a sheep!
2 - No its not its a lamb!!!
1. Damn! 
0 - click!!
But as the examiner said "Its a pass and is better than the 52 the person before you got!! Unprofessional or what.

So if you are out having a meal tonight and see a strange man eating leg of lamb and he is shouting at it and beating it up. Dont panic its only me!!!

Start part 2 training next week.

Regards
Dave

Part 1- 100%/57%
Part2- 1 Minor
Part3-5-4
Check Test -Grade6
C&Guilds 7307 Teaching in Adult & Further Education
DipNEBSM

12-11-09 12:46:56

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Passed Part 1 - with no help from a sheep!!

#2 12-11-09 12:58:30

jay666
Website

Well done. Exactly the same scores i got on both parts of my part 1. Good luck on part 2 its a bit more interesting!! smile

#3 12-11-09 13:20:49

Dave G

Thanks Jay

With all due respect you have made me feel a bit better about my HP now. I felt like a right biff!! Im still going to beat a sheep up though!!

My sponsor company have really got their finger out. I start part 2 next Wed 9am-1pm. Luckily I run my own business so can give myself the morning off!

Regards

Dave

Part 1- 100%/57%
Part2- 1 Minor
Part3-5-4
Check Test -Grade6
DipNEBSM

#4 12-11-09 13:39:34

Tregster
Verified Member
Website

Well done, Dave. I have my part 1 next month. What swatting material did you use and find most helpful?

Passed Part 1 - 08/12/09. 2nd attempt 99/65
Passed Part 2 - 20/01/10. 1st attempt 'Zero Faults'
Passed Part 3 - 29/06/10. 1st attempt 4 - 5

#5 12-11-09 14:19:12

Dave G

Hi Tregster

I read the highway code back to front also Driving the essentials. Dont forget to read up on driving licences also.

Once I had read and understood these I went through 53 study sessions which were on my sponsor companies e learning site. They also have mock theory tests and HP tests to practice (No sheep though!).

I also borrowed the focus DVD as everyone was raving about it. I must admit it was good and some of the questions were different from the e learning site. Some were phrased different rather than different questions, that did help. Some people may think I went a bit OTT but my thoughts are that my swatting was not only for my part 1 but also the rest of my training and beyond.

Good luck with the Part 1. Let us know how you get on.

Regards
Dave

Part 1- 100%/57%
Part2- 1 Minor
Part3-5-4
Check Test -Grade6
DipNEBSM

#6 12-11-09 14:24:37

Dave G

Hi again Tregster

Forgot to mention to make sure you cover all 4 bands when studying i.e.

1. Road procedures
2. Traffic Signs and Signals, car controls, pedestrians, Mechanical Knowledge.
3. Driving  tests, Disability, Law.
4. Publications, Instructional Technique.

Regards
Dave

Part 1- 100%/57%
Part2- 1 Minor
Part3-5-4
Check Test -Grade6
DipNEBSM

#7 12-11-09 14:56:28

Tregster
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Dave, it sounds like I'm on the same line as you and covering all the bases as you did. My theory is that I attempt to get 100% then I give myself more margin for error in the event I make the odd mess-up. The HTP mock tests give me the most headaches. I'm scoring anything between high 50's to low 70's with the odd narrow failure on particularly vague tests. The most frustrating thing is when I analyse the test, I can see that I actually clicked a fraction before the scoring window opens on some clips. I've got a few weeks to really knuckle down before the test. I should have the Focus All Tests 2009 - 2010 arriving today from amazon, that should help.

#8 12-11-09 17:47:29

Luchell
Verified Member

CONGRATS on passing part 1  smile smile

#9 12-11-09 22:22:37

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Well done. Congrulations.

Enjoy part 2!

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

#10 13-11-09 14:31:22

Dave G

Hi Tregster

Yes it sounds like you are on the right track revision wise. HP was my mightmare when I started. Apparently clicking too early is a common fault with more experienced drivers. There is some good advice on these forums to help with that. I used the 3 click method and it did improve my scores  as it got me in the scoring window. The DSA test is a lot slower than the practice tests and a lot clearer.

Once again good luck

Regards
Dave

Part 1- 100%/57%
Part2- 1 Minor
Part3-5-4
Check Test -Grade6
DipNEBSM

#11 13-11-09 14:32:25

Dave G

Thanks Luchell and Jlo. Really looking forward to Part 2.

Regards
Dave

Part 1- 100%/57%
Part2- 1 Minor
Part3-5-4
Check Test -Grade6
DipNEBSM

#12 13-11-09 14:53:21

Lynne
Verified Member

Lol that was funny.

Well done Dave you sound like you have the character to be a good instructor....A Sense of Humour!!  We all need it.  Incidentally I have been driving past a field recently and what looked like, on first glance, 2 white bags I realised had necks and beaks...they were geese!  They've been there for days hardly moving....it's only the fact that sometimes they are standing up and look 'bird like' that I know I'm not quite mad (and yes my contact lenses were in!!)

#13 13-11-09 15:07:46

Dave G

Hi Lynne

Thankyou. It wasnt funny at the time but I keep having a quick sniggle when I think about it. It has also become a weapon in the armoury of my wife! "Whats for dinner dear?" "Roast leg of paper bag" She will get bored soon!

I thought a sense of humour was a core competence for ADI's? If it isnt, it should be!

So we have had a Baa lamb and Geese. Ive seen one post with Pigeons on a crossing (HP Test). There must be loads more

I will let you know how part 2 goes.

Take care

Dave

Part 1- 100%/57%
Part2- 1 Minor
Part3-5-4
Check Test -Grade6
DipNEBSM

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 13-11-09 20:58:55

Tregster
Verified Member
Website

Hi Tregster

Yes it sounds like you are on the right track revision wise. HP was my mightmare when I started. Apparently clicking too early is a common fault with more experienced drivers. There is some good advice on these forums to help with that. I used the 3 click method and it did improve my scores  as it got me in the scoring window. The DSA test is a lot slower than the practice tests and a lot clearer.

Once again good luck

Regards
Dave

I've now had the focus all test DVD and have noticed immediately that it encourages you to click more than the GSP HPT CD. where i would have had zero for too many clicks, you have to click more often to get your score. Once I realised this, i was scoring 4's and 5's regularly.
Would you say that the Focus all Test DVD is the most accurate?

#15 13-11-09 21:16:45

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

I found that the focus all test dvd ran much quicker than the real clips at the test centre. I was getting high 60's and somtimes over 70 but on test day got 62.

Not tried the other GSP disk.

Cheers

Jlo31

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

#16 13-11-09 21:28:30

Tregster
Verified Member
Website

What was the cause of the lower score on test? I would have thought if the clip runs slower it would be better. or did it cause you to click too early?

#17 13-11-09 22:11:24

Woodyloon
Verified Member

Hi Tregster

I would agree with jlo that any home dvd that i used seemed to run a bit faster, and the actual test it is a bit surreal to begin with when you firstly see how slow the clips seem and secondly how clear and sharp the clip is.

I think the Focus All Test was the best out of all the one's I tried, what I would say is click when you see any hazard(as if you are checking your mirror) and then add a second click about a second later when the hazard appears to be developing(this is like when you have to adjust speed or change direction) and and if time you can add a third click, this should overcome any clip that you might of clicked too early and still allow you the chance to score as high as possible. I would not do any more than 3 clicks for any one hazard, I'm sure that I read that somewhere, that to try and not do any more than 3, if you do try and not make it rhythmical.

IMO the HPT is a bit hit or miss it all depends on the clips and how you react on the day.

All the Best

John

Part 1   30/10/09   100/67
Part 2   29/9/10     2 d/f

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#18 14-11-09 09:14:21

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

What was the cause of the lower score on test? I would have thought if the clip runs slower it would be better. or did it cause you to click too early?

Not sure really. I was just used to the speed of the focus disks and was suprised that the real clips ran so much slower. I thought I would have had a higher score.

The DVDs are still good to practice and if you are getting consistent high scores I am sure you will be fine for the real thing.

Cheers

Jlo31

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

#19 17-11-09 11:09:22

jay666
Website

Tregster wrote:

Not sure really. I was just used to the speed of the focus disks and was suprised that the real clips ran so much slower. I thought I would have had a higher score.

The DVDs are still good to practice and if you are getting consistent high scores I am sure you will be fine for the real thing.

Cheers

Jlo31

Yes i agree as i was also getting very high scores with the focus dvd (73 on 1 test) but on test day got just 57 with a zero on 1 clip smile

Board footer