You are not logged in.

#1 11-11-09 22:22:00

chriso

manoeuvres

when you learnt manoeuvres how long after did  you put in for your test just curios

11-11-09 22:22:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: manoeuvres

#2 12-11-09 07:13:48

FRANKS
Verified Member

chriso,

This all depends on how and what order your instructor teaches the sylabus. For instance I have fellow instructors who teach manoeuves on second or third lesson, I on the other hand don't start teaching the test exercices until my pupils can drive forward to a reasonable standard (around 8 hours training.)

As far as to when I advise when to put in for the driving test this will be when the pupil is able to drive independantly to a fair standard and having completed at least two mock tests. There are always the exceptions who my be put in sooner.

Pupils and especially parents are always in a hurry to be put in for test, you might be lucky and pass after a few lessons but are you SAFE on the road!!

Finally, NO TWO PEOPLE ARE THE SAME, we all learn at different rates. So hang in there.

A good indicator as to when you're ready for test is when your driving instructor is giving you very little or no instruction while you're driving.

Hope this help.

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#3 12-11-09 09:17:43

mrbrightside
Verified Member

I agree with above.

Being able to do the manoeuvres doesn't mean you are ready for your test. Some people teach them early, some people teach them later on.

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

#4 17-11-09 22:46:33

chriso

she said am near test standard 2 day  big_smile but am struggling with rrc thats the only 1 have you lot any tips i keep losing  the curb when going round thanks for all the help this is the best forum iv bin on

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 18-11-09 21:11:20

mrbrightside
Verified Member

It's hard to give tips for the reverse around a corner over the internet really because every corner is different!

I find that most corners we practice on in my area start without about half a turn, with a little more added as you go around the corner.

My students use the nearside mirror to keep an eye on the kerb. You should see the edge of your car, a little gap, and then the kerb. Try and keep the distance between kerb and car the same by checking back to this mirror. If you see the gap getting bigger, then add more turn. Don't wait until the kerb has disappeared to add more turn.... do it as soon as you see that gap getting bigger.

The best thing you can do is ask your instructor for more help, and get plenty of practice on it. You might find some videos on the internet useful. There are videos around that demonstrate the manoeuvres and other things too. Try www.2pass.co.uk for one, or do a Google search.

Im sure more instructors will come in with some help on here too. Keep asking questions, it's the best way to learn!

Good luck!

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

#6 22-11-09 21:05:12

Aspyre

If you start with a whole turn you can make sure the kerb doesnt disappear immediately and then control it from there.

I find out whether my ppls can do it free style or if they need a recipe method to begin with........ most can end up doing it free style once they can do it but following a recipe method (like: moving in, little turn away, moving in, turn more away, moving out, turn towards..... and so on) can help to start with.. Some are naturals right away though.

Chriso dont rush it.. You sound a bit like you are more interested in taking the test than passing it but it is a horrible feeling if you dont.. Just take your time and learn it properly.

#7 25-01-11 23:45:43

HewittsDriving
Website

I find my teaching for long rounded corners to my pupils are the easiest to follow. Take your pupil back to the point of turn, then set the left mirror till the curb just disappears. then after checks round put one full turn of wheel on to left, when you see the curb come back to where it was when you were on the straight( at start point a grates width from curb), take the turn off that you put on ( so its one to the right) keep going back straight till curb disapears again, now 1 turn to the left again. carry that on for as long as you need to until you are round the corner and need to straighten up, once they have straightend up they can then make slight adjustments if need, quater turn to the curb if you want the back end to go towards curb, quarter turn away from curb if you want back end to come away..
Hope this helps. Of course a sharp right angle cant be done with this technique, but hey ho!!

Driving lessons in Leeds, Wakefield, Dewsbury and Batley.
http://www.hewitts-schoolofmotoring.co.uk

#8 02-02-11 16:01:20

metalmicky
Verified Member
Website

I teach very similar to mrbrightside, in addition to this i have 3 black marks on the nearside door mirror, approximately 1cm long, to use as a scale.  One  in the centre of the mirror, and then a mark either side about 1/4 of the way along, to the outer edge and to the inner edge also so there is a scale to work within.  Remeber though, the main place to be looking when performing RRC is to the rear of the car in your direction of travel, looking into the new road for hazards, traffic and pedestrians.

Just because I'm a driving instructor, it doesn't make me a dual control freak. 
www.way-ahead-driving.co.uk

#9 02-02-11 19:48:01

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Test wise, you should know when your ready when you can drive safely with.no help from your instructor.  I would say this would include all types of road, and all manoeuvres.

Manoeuvres should be relatively easy with practice, you should have good reference points from your instructor with handouts.

left reverse should be broken down into 3 key areas, just like all manoeuvres.

1  control inc steering,pedals slow car, quick steering

2  observation inc 7 point periodic checks, point turn and rear Windows been important.

3  accuracy inc distance from the kerb, between lines, and within reasonable space.

apart from choosing safe and legal places, those are what I would look for.

on left reverse look for a consistent distance from the kerb, I would advise using half a  turn at a time BUT COUNT IT! always know where the steering is at all times.

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

Board footer