You are not logged in.

#1 04-11-09 01:15:57

mouldy

After I've booked my test

Hi,

my instructor has said I will be ready to book my test in 3 weeks time. Now of course Im very excited but this predicament has come into my thoughts.

I am currently on 2 hour lessons each week. Which is quite a bit of money to fork out each week.

So I was wondering whether it would be OK in your opinion to make that an hour after I've booked my test. I guess I will have covered everything I need too and the remaining lessons leading up to the test will be going over everything again and doing mock tests. So 7 hours leading up to my test approximately would be enough wouldn't it?

My mum and dad reckon I will need less than that but I'm not overly sure about that and even though they say they will take me out. What my stubborn, "always right" dad reckons I should do and what my instructor says are completely different. It just worries me that driving with my parents will let their bad habits creep into my driving. If I didn't have many lessons leading up to my test. :S

Thanks for any help or advice,

Sam

04-11-09 01:15:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: After I've booked my test

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 04-11-09 06:11:26

Busheyfields
Verified Member
Website

I would suggest that your instructor has based his opinion on when you will be "test ready" taking into account the fact that you would continue to have 2hr lessons up to your test date.

With all due respect the qualified instructor is the "professional" who is aware of the standard that the DSA require you to drive at to achieve a pass.

#3 04-11-09 09:00:10

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

The more practice you get with your driving instructor the more chance of passing first time. Cutting back on lessons tends to be a false economy.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#4 04-11-09 12:32:58

mouldy

You see I'm in agreement with those 2 responses. But I can see where my dad is coming from aswell.

He has been very wary the whole way through about the fact there is potential my instructor is just trying to make money out of me.

I don't think this but I cannot afford the lessons without them supporting me financially and at the moment it just seems they are not willing to do that.

I thought of going down to 1 hour lessons because it was a comprimise sort of. With my parents whilst minimising the effect it will have. Would 1 hour lessons and more out of lesson practise be worthwhile? I could then go and re do the what I've learnt etc. etc.

Thanks Again.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 04-11-09 13:03:18

jay666
Website

He has been very wary the whole way through about the fact there is potential my instructor is just trying to make money out of me.

Parents and other people actually always worry that your instructor will do this but not many do. They just want to do their job and what they are paid for and that is to teach you to drive. Your instructor is the professional not your father so he has probably arranged your test bearing in mind that you will continue to have 2 hour lessons so going down to 1 hour may affect your chances of passing. If you want to take that risk then thats ultimately your decision but my advice would be to listen to your instructor not your father.

Jay

#6 04-11-09 19:22:09

catweazle
Verified Member

i tell my pupils when to book test  in the belief they will be test ready by the time the test arrives as long as nothing changes,ie holidays or less lesson times,would you be thinking about dropping lessons if your instructor  hadnt said you were test ready

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 04-11-09 20:30:00

helee
Verified Member

I thought of going down to 1 hour lessons because it was a comprimise sort of. With my parents whilst minimising the effect it will have. Would 1 hour lessons and more out of lesson practise be worthwhile? I could then go and re do the what I've learnt etc. etc.

Speak to your instructor tell him/her your concerns

As with making money out of you of course he is its his job and if he doesn't make money he wont be able to run his car etc. Everyone who is in employment make money out of their bosses dont they?

#8 04-11-09 22:05:31

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

One of the most difficult statements I get is "but my dad says" which can be a real struggle to deal with, I always get the urge to explain (politely!) that as the driving instructor I'm the expert! I really would take your instructors advice. If you were learning to fly an aeroplane, would you skimp on lessons before becoming responsible for the lives of your passengers?

However, personal practice is also a great idea. Best of luck though mate, whatever you decide.   big_smile

Rob

#9 04-11-09 22:45:27

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

I agree with the comments above, below is a letter I give to pupils when they are booking their test.

PRE TEST LESSONS

Now you are about to book your test here is some advice on your test preparation.

The average learner will take 30 to 40 hours of training to reach test standard.

This will have taken several months.

On the day of your test I will collect you approximately one hour before the time of your test, that hour we will practice manoeuvres etc for the final time. The test will last around forty minutes. Therefore the total time is nearly two hours.

It is advisable that you are used to concentrating for that length of time.

From the time of your test appointment is decided, it is essential that you do NOT miss any lessons.

It is sensible to agree and pre book all lessons up to test at this time.

I have had my best results with clients who have intensified their lessons on the run up to test.

I would recommend taking a lesson the day before your test. Even better would be a lesson each day for two days before test day.

You have come this far, help yourself by maximising your chances.

Sophie.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#10 06-11-09 22:46:18

mouldy

Another thing I was wondering was, when you book your test can you pick the test route you do?

#11 06-11-09 23:35:14

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

No, you will be given a random test route.

Rob

#12 07-11-09 00:26:27

colin166
Verified Member

This has been an interesting post, can you let us know how your test goes please?

#13 07-11-09 13:49:07

mouldy

I will do. Looks like I might be reducing to 1 hour. Otherwise I cannot afford cost  sad

#14 07-11-09 17:33:26

Van Man
Verified Member

Mouldy, Just remember this is a skill for life. the building blocks for your driving career! Try not to skimp on it. Rehearse, rehearse. The more driving practise  you do at this stage is all for the better. What ever level you decide to do, do it to the best of your ability and remember what your instructor has taught you smile All the best and keep us posted.

DON'T GET ME STARTED.
I'm not doing it wrong,Its just another way of doing it right!
IAM observer

#15 08-11-09 20:12:40

mrbrightside
Verified Member

If you reduce your lessons to one hour, your instructor may well feel that you need more time before taking a test. Therefore, you end up paying as much as you would for 2 hours for a shorter period of time.

Either way though, money is always a factor, and only you can decide what you can afford. Just make sure you talk to your instructor so he can plan your lessons accordingly.

With regards to your Dad, if he is funding your lessons then you're pretty well forced to do what he says....but a bit of gentle persuasion may help! With all due respect to your Dad, he hasn't been trained to recognise when somebody is ready for a driving test and he doesn't know the DSA standards that are required. Has he even been in a car with you driving?

I once had a parent say to me "But my son has been learning for 6 months, he should have passed by now" In those 6 months he had done 15 hours tuition. You can't put test readiness down to a timescale or a number of hours. You can only trust your instructor and make sure you feel absolutely ready. If you don;t trust your instructor and think he is just fleecing money from you, then find a new one!

Good luck!

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

#16 08-11-09 20:40:44

Marco Polo
Website

Sam, what about doing 90 minute lessons?

However, if you trust your instructor listen to him.

He wants you to pass your test first time, because if you do, you will recommend him to your friends. 99% of instructors have complete integrity and will give you the number of lessons you need to get you up to test standard. It is a skill for life it is worth paying for.

Good luck with the test and let us know how you did.

Mark

#17 10-11-09 12:05:47

mouldy

I do trust him. But I also understand where my dad is coming from. Cost is a big issue here.

90 minute lessons sound good something I need to discuss with my instructor. I don't know what will happen. I guess the best way is to take it week by week and Im booking my test this week.

So next week I will look at 2 hours but I am not sure. All I can do is try and afford £50 per week.

#18 10-11-09 21:37:03

mrbrightside
Verified Member

£50 a week? Is that £50 for a 2 hour lesson? It might be a bit late to be changing instructors now, but £25 per hour seems steep to me, compared to my area anyway.

Where abouts are you from?

#19 10-11-09 22:12:29

Luchell
Verified Member

£25 per hour is pretty common where i teach, very much area dependent  smile

#20 10-11-09 22:53:03

mrbrightside
Verified Member

Yeah I realise that, that's why I asked where they were from.

Think only BSM and AA charge close to £25 in our area. You'd find most lessons costing £19/£20 p/hour around here.

Maybe I should move......

#21 10-11-09 23:48:39

mouldy

I'm with AA yeah.

#22 23-11-09 13:25:47

mouldy

Managed to get a cancellation in for 16th December!!!

Glad to be getting the test in before xmas

#23 24-11-09 08:59:32

walsh
Verified Member

Think only BSM and AA charge close to £25 in our area. You'd find most lessons costing £19/£20 p/hour around here.

Yeah but that proce is too cheap. Even 25 is cheap really.

#24 24-11-09 10:04:46

mouldy

mrbrightside wrote:

Yeah but that proce is too cheap. Even 25 is cheap really.

The average for most driving schools where I live is £25 the reason I paid more was because the AA was a school which around our area I had heard nothing but good about and they use the same model car as I have! It seemed a no brainer really and I wasn't bothered about paying the extra amount. Luckily and hopefully it will pay off.

Board footer