You are not logged in.

#1 09-11-09 10:32:54

Tregster
Verified Member
Website

Spotting errors on the Part 3 test.

Hi all,
I am being very premature..... (as usual)  :oops: as I haven't started my training yet, but I was wondering... When an examiner does his role play in part 3, when you spot an error, do you then need to pull to the side of the road to explain what he had done wrong and then instruct him on how to rectify the problem, or is it all done on the move?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but i was just wondering  smile

Passed Part 1 - 08/12/09. 2nd attempt 99/65
Passed Part 2 - 20/01/10. 1st attempt 'Zero Faults'
Passed Part 3 - 29/06/10. 1st attempt 4 - 5

09-11-09 10:32:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Spotting errors on the Part 3 test.

#2 09-11-09 11:26:57

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Hi Tregster

It's all going to depend upon the role the examiner is playing, the phase, what the error was, and how busy the road your on is.

For example, if you have a long straight road ahead with little or no obstacles such as parked cars to go round, you could probably correct an error on the move.  If your in a busy road, you will probably have to pull over to explain.  A simple error can be corrected on the move, but a detailed explanation, or if you need to show a diagram then obviously you need to stop.

An examiner role playing a full license holder, or someone at test standard can listen and think about what you say while they drive.  An inexperienced pupil needs to concentrate on driving and so will need to park up to listen to your analysis of a fault. 

A phase 2 pupil should know what they are supposed to be doing, a phase 1 pupil learning a new subject is different.  For example, a phase 2 pupil may have already told you they are going to check inside and left mirror before signaling left, but on the move they check inside and right before signaling left.  You should be able to correct that on the move quite easily.  But if your examiner has tried to cut across traffic with an unsafe gap, your going to want to stop and talk about what a safe gap is, because the danger is that if your trying to correct it on the move, you will get into the same situation again very quickly and the examiner will try to do the same.

So basically there is no black and white answer, it's totally dependent upon the role the examiner plays, what phase your doing, what the fault was, and how much space you have on the road in front of you which dictates how much time you have to analyse and correct the fault.

No doubt your trainer will go through it all with you, and you can get good (free) advice on here..... though unfortunately you also occasionally get people who just want to prove you wrong and how much better than you they are, no doubt someone will disagree with the examples I gave above and come back with a "but what about....." which is why I said there is no black or white answer to your question and it's totally dependent upon circumstances.  After a bit of training you'll be able to work out for yourself if you need to stop or not.

Hope that helps
.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#3 09-11-09 11:46:39

Tregster
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Phil, appreciate the time you took to explain.

I won't come back with any 'But's' just yet as I don't know enough... I'm sure that'll change once I get started.

Cheers!!

Passed Part 1 - 08/12/09. 2nd attempt 99/65
Passed Part 2 - 20/01/10. 1st attempt 'Zero Faults'
Passed Part 3 - 29/06/10. 1st attempt 4 - 5

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 16-11-09 21:02:53

Mars
Verified Member
Website

I agree completely with Phil above - a further thought is that sometimes the locations of scenarios are not where we (as instructors) would choose to teach a subject but because of time/location constraints you get it where you get it.  Consequently although you might want to pull the pupil (examiner) over to talk they will sometimes encourage you to cover the fault on the move because there is almost nowhere to stop, they may say something like "well my last instructor used to tell me on the move and I'm fine with that" .
In other words the examiner is encouraging you to analyse on the move because there is nowhere else to do it = happens sometimes in Folkestone.

Just a thought - enjoy your training, it should be fun as well as hard work smile

Board footer