You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 30-10-09 13:31:44

Luchell
Verified Member

Finally!!

Finally I got a chance to do my check test today (yesterday now!) after moved dates!!

Thought i would do the best i can to write it up for my benefit and perhaps someone else who reads it.

I choose a pupil who has had about 28 hours tuition, the plan was to revisit and strengthen her meeting traffic making her more independent.
Got parked up on the road just round from the test centre rather than in the test centre car park given its small and 5 cars were literally just about to go out on test so we stayed out the way. In we went and waited until the S.e came for me. Popped somewhere quiet to give her the low down on the pupils progress so far and what we’ve been up to last lesson and intentions for todays lesson.

Off we went to the car only to find we were pretty blocked in with JUST enough room to get out (busy narrow road with cars parked opposite as well and limited visibility) but no room for error in any instruction on my part. Great fun.  We briefly talked about how she would get us out of the space discussing how we could reverse a few feet to make the most of what we had there and went through why we may as well take what we’ve got if it makes the situation that little bit safer. (Not explaining well in written word as obviously more went into slightly more detail but would be here all day if i tried to describe EVERYTHING! )

So off we go now we’ve got out onto the road. Following my planned route towards some guaranteed meeting situations. Used lots of thought provoking Q and A to make sure we were planning far ahead by discussing ‘what would we do if’ scenarios. All was going fine at this point until we got to the emerge at the end of the road at which point my pupil attempted to move off in second gear. Asked the pupil to hold still and got her to sort the gear into first then asked her to pull over somewhere suitable after the emerge.

Once we pulled up quick what why how and how in the past we fixed the issue, then off we went. Q and A on the move again about meeting situations including a blind bend with parked cars etc that we were heading towards. Got to the closed junction at the end of the road and I could see my pupil wasn’t preparing to stop the vehicle and vision at the junction was limited. Quickly asked WHY we would need to stop at the end which got the desired action of the pupil bringing the car to a stop and not flying out without proper observation. Asked pupil if the junction was open or closed pupil wasn’t sure, (Bless her, normally she would have no real problems with that on a lesson but I could see she was gradually ‘switching off’ worrying she was wrecking my check test therefore adding more pressure to herself ) although both of us made it clear it’s me being tested not her some pupils are naturally going to worry and start getting things more and more wrong. As soon as there was somewhere safe to pull up we did so after I asked my pupil to remember what happened and we would talk about it once parked shortly.

Pulled in and swapped the topic to junctions where it was clear this was what was deteriorating for what ever reason. Grabbed colourfile, q and a used to establish knowledge before getting on the move to begin dealing with the issue. Heading for the next left turn mspsl disappeared pretty much completely as my pupil became preoocupied about trying to remember to get into first gear. After emerging left, straight into a fun looking meeting situation I asked how we would deal with the oncoming vehicle. We got into a gap on our left allowing the oncoming vehicle safely past, although the space we went into was all that we could use at that time we went slightly too far forward meaning a very very angled start even tighter than the one from the start of the test DOH, quick q and a on where ideally we should have stopped with correct answer given, how much we would need to steer, and the importance of keeping the vehicle VERY slow. Mentioned the closer we had stopped to that parked vehicle the harder it is to get out and more observations needed etc and the more road we will need to take up coming out at such an angle rather than if  we had stopped in a more comfortable position.

At this point I was directing the pupil out of the busy area we were in to the nearest place more suitable for going through junctions to put right the issues being displayed. Once we got there we did some junctions varying level of instruction as we went. Pulled over for a minute to discuss a situation that came up with children playing around parked cars as well as others things, we discussed how an oncoming vehicle took that bend at such a spot on speed she was able to stop safely before the child could have had a chance to get across the road and get into any danger. Pupil forgot to check blindspot before we moved off so got my pupil to wait. What why how done pointing out vehicle in her blindspot etc, before moving off q and a where there was a parked car right on the junction i would be turning my pupil down once we’ve moved off, discussed what ifs and how would we deal with it. . Then headed back to the test centre after a few more turns that by far weren’t perfect.
As we began the short drive back to the test centre up a large hill pupil went to change up a gear to which i prevented her doing so where the cars speed was too slow and we had two following vehicles, pupil stepped on the gas just as they overtook so jumped in the best i could at the time to q and a about why its important we don’t go into too high a gear too quickly using consequences when my pupil answered stall of the two little poppets who were hardly thinking that could happen etc then the why its important NOT to step on the gas when someones trying to pass and linked in importance of mirrors change speed.
By this time i was kicking myself even harder than before thinking the S.e would be wondering why on earth i let my pupil get into any of these situations in the first place although looking back now I can see now i pretty much did all i could given what was presented en route.
As we turned into the carpark we waited on the hill just inside the entrance whilst the cars in there on test finished their bay parks then went to move off. Stalled and started rolling back, I stopped the car on the footbrake, told the pupil what i had done and why and to remember that for the future, pulled into a space finally and the test was over.
Asked a few related questions once we were parked up where correct answers weren’t always given and explained the topic for next lesson and why we would be revisiting it then off went my pupil to the waiting room whilst i waited for my result!
I was sure by this point I hadn’t done very well at all, my poor pupil steadily deteriorated as the test went on leading to more faults to fix and changes in plan needing to be made. To cut a long story short I was worrying the S.e would be bothered with my choice of route where my pupil would normally cope fine, I know what my pupil is usually able to do and I could see the more  nerves got to her the more switched off she became leading to more and more faults.

Firstly I was asked how I felt i had dealt with the changes in my pupil over the course of the lesson to which I thought maybe i wasn’t positive enough or put her in too deep etc etc only to be told the S.e thoroughly enjoyed the lesson and watched me work my butt off for the entire time!! She told me there was nothing more on my part i could have done, I adapted constantly and quickly when needed and made the most of every opportunity I could to help her develop her skills,  and maintain full control of the pupil and vehicle at all times. I honestly thought at the time when we were almost wedged in between two parked vehicles the S.e was looking round thinking how long will it be before the pupil flings the car into another as she moves off!!   When i mentioned this she asked me if the vehicle was under my full control when needed to which well yes it was but i was still full of doubts at the time kicking myself badly thinking i may as well give up to be honest. She helped me break down the test so i could see the positives she was pointing out which really helped where i was kicking myself dealing with one thing after another. Thankfully as the S.e pointed out that was what allowed me to ‘showcase’ my instructional techniques and ability to vary what i was teaching and how.
Not a very clear write up and i suspect when my brain begins to work again I shall remember allsorts but hey ho thought i would give it a go!!

Nearly forgot, I got a 5 for fault id, 6 for analysis and 5 for remedy so a grade 5 in total which i am really pleased to have gained.
I must also say a big thankyou to my poor willing victim who really tried to get it right for me which lead to a wee bit of panic after making a couple of faults that gave me the opportunity to get my teeth into any issues allowing the S.e to see what I was capable of doing. We have decided we have a little more fun when the S.e isn’t with us!

30-10-09 13:31:44

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Finally!!

#2 30-10-09 13:36:24

Luchell
Verified Member

Lastly where I seem to have trouble adding to the bottom of a post at the moment a big thankyou to Vanda for all her advice and support and of course Kev whose had his ears bashed pretty much constantly but still did everything he could to help me!! xx

#3 30-10-09 13:45:20

VandADI
Administrator

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a great write up, and well done on getting a 5! you are a star  :angel:

#4 30-10-09 14:57:15

Carlo
Verified Member

Congratulations on the 5! smile.  All the hard work during the lesson paid off!

Do you mind me asking... was that your second check test?

"It's easy when you know how!"

#5 30-10-09 17:18:39

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Am proud of yer. xxxx

"Why are we going to......" is one of my most used Q's.
It's a great way of instructing the pupil into doing something without actually telling them to do it, and at the same time get's them thinking about why that is the appropriate action to be taking.

It can never be classed as over instruction as it is a question as to WHY, and so is checking knowledge (even if no knowledge exists, the pupil will comply with the instructional part of the question. Control is maintained subliminally. smile

A 6 on analysis is a fantastic acheivement, to identify the correct cause of every fault you was aware of as it occured is the mark of a top instructor, IMHO.

Your check test sheet and the feedback given, clearly shows just how close you came to a grade 6, and I mean REALLY close.

Beats that old stale Grade 4 you got on your last one hands down doesn't it??  lol.

Perhaps I'll be coming to you for instructional technique advice from now on. smile

#6 30-10-09 17:27:02

ECPC
Verified Member
Website

Congratulations, very well deserved after all the messing about you've had to put up with!

#7 30-10-09 19:01:45

Luchell
Verified Member

lol Thanks for the feedback, i ran out of time to put in the not so important rest of the sheet  lol
Recap at start 6
Aims/objectives 5
Level of instruction 5
control of lesson 5
communication 6
Q and A 6
Feedback encouragement 5
use of controls no marks think it was struck through seconds before the end when i had to use the footbrake
Recap at the end 6
Instructor charateristics 6
Going to have to wait 4 years before i can go for a 6 but hey ho I'm happy ... for now  lol

#8 30-10-09 22:39:44

la.monikita
Verified Member

Well done hun!!!

What's the next challenge huh?

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#9 30-10-09 23:33:24

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Brilliant write up, I felt just as if I was there, and can relate to all of what you said. 

I always read check test write ups, and nearly always the lesson plan changes, makes you wonder why on earth you go through all the planning in your head. 

Excellent result and well deserved Hayley. 

Im still waiting on my 1st check test...its been 2 years now since I qualified. 

#10 10-11-09 09:18:42

rbest
Verified Member
Website

great write up!! Thanks. I have my check test on Thursday! your post has been really handy!

#11 11-11-09 21:47:41

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Well done on the grade 5. Fanastic news. Brilliant result.

Cheers

Jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

Board footer