You are not logged in.

#1 17-04-05 12:17:15

Delta
Verified Member

Why can't my learners find biting point quickly?

I've done two weeks on a pink licence and I'm enjoying it so far.

However, I'm getting a little problem which seems to occur on the novice pupils' second or third lesson.

The first lesson goes well - I do controls, moving off and stopping and maybe left and right turns in a two-hour first lesson. So as part of the moving off and stopping bit I explain finding biting point, and because they are learners I break down for them. It normally goes something like this:

"Push the clutch down and select first gear. Now set the gas so that the rev-metre needle is between 1 and 1-and-a-half. Now slowly bring the clutch up until you feel the car just about tho move and the rev-metre drops. When that happens hold both feet completely still and that's biting point"

Because they are new they do all this very slowly and carefully. - "Good, good" I say, "well done", etc. Problem is, when we get to the next lesson and we're emerging from a T-junction, they're all taking too long to find biting point. So we're sat at a give way line, it''s safe to go, there are 1 or 2 cars behind us and the pups are staring at the dashboard trying to set the gas and moving the clutch up milimetre by milimetre.

I need help to get them to find biting point quicker. I tried getting them to do it with their eyes closed at the side of the road so that they're listening to the engine rather than watching the rev-metre and thius has helped a bit.

Is this a common problem? Will the speed naturally increase? Is there a way I can adjust my instruction to make it more effiecient? Please help!

17-04-05 12:17:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Why can't my learners find biting point quickly?

#2 17-04-05 12:27:25

Rob
Verified Member
Website

You may find that they are not being too slow but are not giving themselves enough time to find the biting point. If i find a pupil doing what you say it is usually because they go for the biting point when the gap is there not when the gap is coming. Tell them that if they see a gap coming prepare themselves so that all they need to do when the gap arrives is release the handbrake.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 17-04-05 12:37:42

adi
Verified Member
Website

It may not be the pupils being too slow in finding the bite but maybe your expectations may be too high for the people concerned. As you go on you could start to wonder why after 20 lessons some pupils still don't check mirrors etc, choose the wrong gear etc even though you have explained, prompted, Q&A'd till your blue in the face, that's pupils for you!. Even though they know what they have to do it can be the process of trying to put all the little parts together at the same time which can be the greatest hurdle.

#4 18-04-05 05:38:52

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

within the 1st 3 hours i get them to stop and then pull off again straight away, on a quiet road or car park, to get them used to it, and also moving the car on the bite (similar to manouvres!) to get them used to the bite, and moving away a bit sooner.
we keep doing this until they are confident they can do it, after about 10 mins they are usually fine, and then get better as they go through their lessons.

try it......  you never know

#5 18-04-05 08:21:07

ck
Website

Once the pup can move away quite confidently even if this takes some time I explain that whilst this is good we now need to be able to do it more promptly I explain the reason for this ie junctions and traffic lights.
I then explain that the clutch does nothing untill at bite so I get the pup to find bite as quickly as they can, then practice this without actually moving off untill they are reasonably confident about where biting point is ( at first they will usually stall or make the car jump in the air).Then practicing moving off but they then go back to the slow method so prompt,it may take some time before they can do it naturaly remember when moving off from curb side its easier for them, when at junctions they have alot more to think about.
I also make a point of telling pups NOT to look at rev counter rather listen to engine and feel the car this way at junctions they can concentrate on the junction while they find bite.
Again remember all pups are different some will get it straight away but alot will need practice and help from you.

#6 18-04-05 12:16:59

Delta
Verified Member

these are good suggestions, thank you - I will try them out.

Board footer