You are not logged in.

#1 24-09-09 20:20:50

Thisisme373

Am thinking of becoming a instructor, advice please.

Hi i was hoping on getting some valuable advice from this forum.

My situation is im working on a low wage as a merchandiser and am 22 thinking i want to get a career, My dad is a driving instructor, he taught me to drive (charged half price lol) and is willing to teach me to become an instructor for a lower price according to him of £1,800, but i am worried of doing this as he is self employed and am thinking of going with a school that guarantees you a job.

Another thing i am worried about is if you have to have a disclosure as i have had a few cautions, do they show up?

Some feedback would be much appreciated, Thank you.

24-09-09 20:20:50

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Am thinking of becoming a instructor, advice please.

#2 24-09-09 21:11:55

jem
Verified Member

Your Dad is going to charge you  :?

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 24-09-09 21:30:30

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

i am worried of doing this as he is self employed and am thinking of going with a school that guarantees you a job.

Nearly ALL driving instructors are self-employed, either working for themselves as independent sole-traders or take out a franchise with a larger driving school on a self-employed basis. Hardly any driving instructors in the UK work as employees of a driving school.

Most driving school "guarantees" are not of a "job" with a regular salary and contract of employment, what they are usually "guaranteeing" is that they will offer you a FRANCHISE with them.

A franchise means that rather than them paying you, you pay THEM -  a regular weekly or monthly fee in return for being allowed to trade under their name with any associated "goodwill" and the provision of services by the company which may include a supply of pupils, administrative services, advertising and sometimes the use of a vehicle.

In answer to your other question, yes, you will need to have an enhanced CRB check.

I recommend that you read my guide to becoming a driving instructor to find out everything that's involved in the qualification process and what it's really like to work as a driving instructor as opposed to the impression given by the TV and newspaper adverts from driving instructor training companies; -

Everything You Need To Know About Becoming A Driving Instructor

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 25-09-09 11:01:12

Thisisme373

Your Dad is going to charge you  :?

i know tbh not many people like my dad including me but i dont think ill get a better deal. Also would i get through a crb check i have had 3 cautions one for a fight, drunken disorderly & 1 from stealing a can of pop from work lol, but these were when i was 18-19 i have grown up alot since.

#5 25-09-09 14:25:46

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Also would i get through a crb check i have had 3 cautions one for a fight, drunken disorderly & 1 from stealing a can of pop from work lol, but these were when i was 18-19 i have grown up alot since.

I got onto the registar, with a caution, I set fire to my boyfriends car, it came up on my CRB check as 'crimal damage of less than £5000'. Not sure how the DSA look at the different affences, and how they judge as to wether you should be on the register, but why not apply, and you will soon find out.

Read Loopy Lou's link, i found it extremely useful. big_smile

Is your dad an ADI trainer anyway? Just thinking if you are the first person he is going to train, you may only pay £1800, but he may not train you to the required standard and you could end up paying a more experienced trainer anyway.

Cat  smile

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

#6 25-09-09 18:20:29

ChelmsfordADI
Verified Member

My situation is im working on a low wage as a merchandiser

I've earned less than that as an ADI. Okay, so the earnings are up and down but some weeks I'd be lucky to take £100, take out expenses and you're down to £60 for a week.

Carl

Driving Instructor currently working in IT Business Support
BUT looking to return to instructing over the next few months big_smile

DSA Approved Driving Instructor since 1998
RoSPA Gold Advanced Driver

#7 25-09-09 18:59:25

benji

Your crb check could be a problem and its not easy think hard before you start no one gives you anything its hard work.

#8 25-09-09 20:23:33

jay666
Website

Your crb check could be a problem and its not easy think hard before you start no one gives you anything its hard work.

A hell of alot of hard work!!

big_smile big_smile big_smile  Cat

#9 27-09-09 08:46:46

yasmin
Verified Member

Thisisme373
Whether or not you decide to train as an instructor is a big decision but if you're keen to go ahead---- would it be wise to take training from someone you don't particularly like? From your post it sounds as if you and your dad don't see eye to eye and that would make the training very difficult.

#10 29-09-09 09:28:22

sam3000

Tough choice - but one I think you should go for. Your Dad may be extra hard on you but he'll want you to get to your best. It's nice being your own boss - suggest going to a well known/large school to defferentiate yourself (also saves the many hours of thinking of a quirky name)

#11 07-10-09 19:38:23

Mars
Verified Member
Website

Check out me web site - it may add a thought or two.

Good luck if you go for it.

#12 23-10-09 14:11:58

tweetie
Verified Member

don't do it, there are too many ADI'S and many are failing to survive in this industry
some are offering free or very cheap lessons.

Don't worry Be Happy !

Board footer