You are not logged in.

#1 10-10-09 21:04:33

vickyb17uk

Few questions.....?

Hi all

Have been out tonight private practice and sat at some red traffic lights, clutch down, in gear handbrake on, for a couple of minutes waiting for lights to change, what i would like to know is, is this ok while on test or should i have taken out of gear?

thanks

vicky

10-10-09 21:04:33

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Few questions.....?

#2 10-10-09 23:57:48

mouldy

My instructor told me to stay in gear with the clutch in. So yes!

#3 11-10-09 11:42:11

Spike
Verified Member

Pefectly acceptable, so long as the car is secure - i.e. with the handbrake applied, which you've said you were already doing

#4 11-10-09 12:45:33

Aspyre

vicky it would also have been ok to take it out of gear and rest your leg but if the lights changed and you got in a mess and held up other traffic then on test would probably go against you.

if they were on red for a couple of minutes were they temporary lights??

Some times you can "read" the lights.... look for the green man going red or the glow from the other junctions lights or other cars stopping..... so you know when to get ready.

#5 11-10-09 19:11:19

vickyb17uk

no not temporary lights, we have a set around here thats on a very very busy crossroads, petrol station, hospital, from town, and tesco exprerss they do tend to stay red for what seems like ages!!!

thanks all for the replies,

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 14-10-09 17:55:22

Marco Polo
Website

Vicky if you are the first one to arrive at the red light, then handbrake, neutral is a good way to rest your feet for a few seconds.

Aspyre's advice about reading the other lights is a good way to know when to prepare the car to go.

#7 16-10-09 15:17:51

Samantha1

I always say if your first in the que, leave it in gear so your ready to go when the lights change. However, if your 2nd, 3rd etc in the que, by all means rest your feet. If you cannot see the lights changing to know when to get ready, simply respond to the vehicles in front..when their brake lights go out, get the car in gear.

Samantha DSA ADI

#8 17-10-09 07:22:21

casper

Well, thats cleared up a new driving technique for me, i can practice with that in mind before my first pt2 lesson, something less to have to be told, very useful.
Have been judging my turn on lights by watching other traffics response on approach to thier lights for years.
Always worth scaning through new posts, find lots of useful tips.

pt1 pass 1st time 98% 60 23/9/09
pt2 passed 2nd time 6faults 9/3/10
pt3 passed 3rd time 4/4 jan 2011

Board footer