You are not logged in.

#1 12-10-09 13:59:47

m4rky

Newbie Advice Please

Hi Everyone

This is my first post so please go easy on me but i could really do with some advice as I am seriously thinking about a career change and completing my LGV licence.  This kind of career will not be entirely new as I worked in the breakdown market for nearly 20 years and I have much experience in moving vehicles in all sorts of conditions around the country.

The questions that I seem to be having trouble getting answers to are

1. Within the LGV job market is it seen as a bad thing to pass both your C test and straight after complete your C+E without having first gained experience driving rigid trucks?

2. Whats the agency job market really like for newly qualified drivers?  I'm in my forties and extremely reliable and hard working but obviously my CV would look very bare to start with

I would appreciate any advice that could be given that can really help me make my mind up

Thanks in advance

Mark

12-10-09 13:59:47

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Newbie Advice Please

#2 12-10-09 15:40:38

daz6215
Verified Member

Hello Mark, dont worry about going straight onto C+E, I did it that way and I got work from day 1, What matters is that you can drive it not how long you've drove a rigid, I know people thtas got years under their belt driving a rigid but it doesnt make them any better driving the artics, as far as agencies go there is good and bad and the best advice would be word of mouth and get your name with as many as possible, you'll soon become aware of the cowboys. Go for it you'll always work with a class 1 m8.

#3 12-10-09 16:18:07

m4rky

Thanks for the reply Daz much appreciated

This is the way I would like to go as it makes sense to me to get both tests under my belt back to back.  I have been advised that the hardest job I will get will be my first as being a new driver I'm an unknown quanitity.  This makes sense to me though as I would feel the same if it was my business.

I have also been advised to get digital tacho training and RHA training as this they say will enhance my chances of getting that frist role - would you agree?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 12-10-09 18:22:12

daz6215
Verified Member

I would agree with training for the tachograph but to be honest the digicards are quite easy try this simulator , down load them then run them on your pc http://www.fomento.es/MFOM/LANG_EN/DIRE … SIMULADOR/

What are you wanting to do with the RHA?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 13-10-09 08:18:24

m4rky

What are you wanting to do with the RHA?

I'm unsure what this is??  The company I spoke to suggested 2 days RHA training after passing my test.  Hopefully the brochure should arrive today so i will have a look at what it actually is.  Thanks for the download I'll give it a try!

#6 10-11-09 16:36:21

m4rky

I just wanted to say thanks for the advice and I have taken the plunge

I've had my provisional licence back after having passed my medical and my training and test is now all booked - Here starts a new career  big_smile

#7 10-11-09 16:51:04

daz6215
Verified Member

good luck m8  wink

#8 23-12-09 17:53:44

m4rky

Just an update

Well I've passed both theory tests  smile which I found to be okay as long as you study properly for them.  I'm glad that I worked as a mechanic for 10 years as this really helped with the questions regarding brakes etc!

I now start my practical training on the 5th January and I have handed in my notice to my current employer. This has been a huge step for me but I can honestly say that it seems right for me.  I'm sure that many people will think I'm a bit mad considering the current job climate but this is something that I really want to do.

I'll let you know how I get on  smile

Have a great Xmas everyone

Mark

Board footer