You are not logged in.

#1 11-10-09 11:20:52

Bashy

progressive braking question

Hi all,

Started my Pink lasy week and have started to teach my brother-in-law how to drive (at cost :x). We have done 4 hours now, and although he seems to be getting the hang of it, he just can't seem to break smoothly.
He had never been in a car (behind the wheel) previously, so it's all a bit foreign to him. My car is a 1 month old Fiesta diesel.
I've tried everything. First the excercise of breaking in line with a target (lampost). He was 10 feet away consistently. I have now conquered this and he is judging the stopping correctly, just to a halt each time.
It seems as if he's leaving it too late. Yesterday we went out and I told him to disregard the lamposts and just stop smoothly....nope, still to a halt. I tried explaining that 'imagine you are stepping on an orange'...imagine you are holding a babies hand in place, you don't want to hurt the baby, but want it's hand still...SPLAT!!!!
I've tried starting to brake really early with him, but that last bit is just STOP!!!
He's smooth up until the last bit, but then it's always really harsh.
I'm hesitent to move on as this needs sorting, but don't want to spend hours on it as I feel we're getting no-where and I know he's becoming frustrated.

Any tips???

Cheers

11-10-09 11:20:52

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: progressive braking question

#2 11-10-09 13:18:01

driver69

Is he keeping the pressure on the brake all the way 'till he stops? Tell him to release the pressure of the pedal as the car is almost stopping. Something I tried with a Chinese pupil who could not understand English and breaking too hard was to squeeze a bottle of water firmly and show how I eased off the pressure then gently on again. Worked for her.

#3 11-10-09 17:57:28

Lynne
Verified Member

Does he ride a bike?  I tell them "how did you stop yourself going over the handlebars when you braked?" When they say they eased off the braking, I tell them what they did with their hands they now do with their feet.  Works with my lot but some people do find it hard to get the hang of it.  When all else fails I get my foot under my  brake pedal and pull it up at the right point.  They do eventually get it slowly but surely.

#4 11-10-09 18:36:06

Bashy

Thanks guys. We have another lesson tomorrow night and I now feel it's ready to be conquered.

Cheers

Board footer