You are not logged in.

#1 11-10-09 00:20:54

mouldy

My First Lesson... And Theory

Hi all,

I decided I was gonna have an AA lesson as a student I managed to get 2 hours for £25 which I was quite impressed with.

So I got in and met my instructor and he was fine on the way to West Bridgford he was showing me what he was doing with the pedals etc. (I knew all this already and had mentioned) and he spent a while at the beginning explaining all the controls again. I thought he was gonna get on my nerves but did then explain he had to do this.

But when we got to the actual driving part I was much more impressed. He stayed relatively calm throughout and his sense of humour made me more calm and made driving seem a much less daunting task then my dad in particular made out!!!!

He let me progress quickly going onto junctions and round abouts in the first lesson and he said I was a natural but also pointed out what I needed to improve on which I found very helpful. He just seemed a nice bloke and somebody who was helping me out not a teacher telling me what to do.

So after the lesson he told me he was going to take me onto turning right at junctions and going onto ring roads next lessons which I was delighted with because I feel like I have progressed quickly already. The fact we are flying to these stages already which I wasn't expecting made me feel he actually wanted me to pass my test quickly and not spend loads of time in lessons so he could get more money.

He then went on to tell me to go for my theory ASAP. And Im booked in for the 23rd Ocotber. So I was just wondering if anyone had any good websites that do good mock theory and hazard perception. I could use the AA website but have already done them and want some more resources to use.

Thanks in advance Sam

11-10-09 00:20:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: My First Lesson... And Theory

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 11-10-09 09:51:42

jay666
Website

The focus dvd is very helpfull. Its only £5.99 from morrisons. Good luck smile

#3 11-10-09 19:22:28

thejhd

I got a program for my pc from amazon for £3 which helped me pass my theory first time, did a mock test before my theory and turned out 35 of the questions I did were on my actual test that day so try there

#4 12-10-09 22:12:14

mouldy

That's brill thanks!

Just out of interest. I know that a lot of driving schools recommend that you do 2 hour lessons rather than 1 hour lessons.

But do they make a genuine difference?

#5 13-10-09 17:38:15

Marco Polo
Website

Sam, looks like you got a good trainer

In my opinion, one hour lessons are just too brief, and you end up driving around in the same area most of the time, 2 hour or 1 1/2 hour lessons I feel are an optimum length. Most instructors should give you a small discount for taking the longer lessons but don't go for cheap, always go for those who are reassuringly expensive, because you will get what you pay for.

As for good websites, Blaine Walsh's videos are excellent: www.learnervideos.tv

#6 13-10-09 21:26:48

mouldy

Thanks for the link, yeah I think he's a good instructor anyway!

So what I think I am going to do is make a block booking of lessons. I have the money now but I am considering going on a 1 hour lesson next so I have expierenced both. The 2 hours first lesson flew by but I just thought that could be down to the fact we did spend a lot of time at the start talking about the car etc. which I was expecting.

Oh well at least I will be able to compare both and then make a decision it does seem to be making sense why most people are recommending 2 hours rather than an hour after having 1 lesson though.

#7 27-10-09 15:36:01

razzie

When I first started learning to drive my instructore recommended 2hr lessons. I found that they were detrimental as after 90 mins I started to lose concentration and this in turn made me feel that I wasn't doing too well. After speaking to my instructor, we settled on 90 min lessons and this worked out much better. I felt like I was improving and managed to get out to lots of different areas.

#8 27-10-09 16:32:07

mouldy

My mate does 90 minute lessons and he says they are better than 1 hour. I have been doing 2 hours as I only have the option of 1 or 2. I do find that when I get home I am tired but I don't feel as if I'm losing concentration throughout the duration of the lesson.

Do you think it would be worthwhile attempting to get 90 minute lessons. I just have gone right off the idea of 1 hour lessons because in my last lesson I found we had only covered 1 thing really (traffic lights) and were just doing turns in the road. So I am settled and concentrating in 2 hours I think but are 1 hour lessons just as good?

Board footer