You are not logged in.

#1 07-10-09 23:54:02

hayjay

Passed at last and FIRST ATTEMPT!!!!!

Hi all,

Just thought i would share this with you.....attempt 1 first booke on 7th Sept, but got the dreaded phone call 2 days before hand whilst at work saying that due to unforseen circumstances then the test is cancelled. Phone next week for a new date......which turned out to be Monday 5th of Oct!!!!! I was gutted as i had mentally prepared myself and was ion a good place, actually looking forward to it. The other thing was that my trainer was away for 2 weeks on holiday and so was my buddy!!!!!

Anway, after an awful weekend at work my trainer picks me up for a warm up session monday morning, asks do i have letter to which i said no as it was done over phone. Not too worry shouldn't matter. Good warm up session and feeling confident made our way down to test centre. Eaminer comes out, introduces himself and asks for Licence? AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!! Why oh why oh why didn't i think to bring it. Panic set in, he kindly gives me ten minutes to get back to mine to get it, got back and just that little too late. He did say that he wouldn't have wanted to continue with that amount of stress on me already! Why didn't DVLA say on phone what documents to take!!! Examiner managed to find ano0ther test date for me this morning, all i had to do was re book it with DVLA when i got home which is what i did, This time they did tell me what documents to take!!!!

This is really going well for my first attempt!!!

This morning comes along, after a sleepless night feeling quite tense and still thinking about the rigmarole of Monday and wandering whether booking it this soon was the right thing to do. Trainer picks me up for the warm up which goes fine (after re checking i have everything i need!) get to the test centre and wait........nerves......nerves......I hear footsteps and examiner walks out, gives me a sly smile and before anything is said i give him my licence. We both chuckle a little which eases the tension and asks me to sign the form. I glance down and to my horror it was mirrors/em stop. Which was one of those that we had not practiced for a while.

Phase 1

I give a brief on mirrors, head a little all over the place and trying to keep myself together. Start asking questions on differences of mirrors and could he pick the same thing in both the door and centre mirror, which he replies that he can't see as he has not set them up yet..(lifeline!!!) Time for cockpit drill, watch him like a hawk and didn't let him get away with anything. Ask him q's again to confirm when to use and which ones to use, he answers them correctly and then says to me are we going to drive today or what? My que to get a move on, i take the hint and guide him out through three very close junctions out of the test centre. I notice he is getting his left and right mirrors mixed up and needs reminding about blind spot which i did, confirming with him what is he looking out for? I ask him if he knows his left from his right and after hesitation he says yes, so as the time goes on keep reminding him. At this stage i think i am failing miserably as he didn't seem to be picking it up so could not transfer resp to him. Get to site and start going through em stop. the do's and don'ts, he asks me about ABS and what it is (and because of time i said let's talk about it at end of session). Managed to get 4 attempts in picking up on faults such as looking in mirrors, braking to slowly, stamping on brake and not depressing clutch quick enough. End of phase 1 ??????, def failed! I quickly give a mini debrief, stating that he was doing very well with mirrors and the attemots on the em stop attempts were progressing. He then asked about the ABS, i then answered the questions that he asked, he seemed satisfied.

Phase 2

Hesitency, progress and speed!!!!!

Word picture came along, he was taking test in 4 weeks and just going thru a few things, not a lot else given which i am not surprised at. I ask him  a couple of basic questions but decide to get moving as quickly as possible as he wasn't giving anything away!! Does cockpit drill does everything right including adjusting the headrest to correct position! (Can't believe i missed that on phase 1).
Faults: Getting up to speed slowly
          Driving to close to the left
          Hesitency at junctions

Picked up on all faults, With the speed his reason was that he was scared of what might happen, i did notice that he was concentrating on the dashboard and directly in front of the car. I got him to look further ahead down the road as far as he could and got him to describe what he was seeing, which he did, he started to feel more comfortable saying that he had never done that before, i reinforced saying that if he did this he would have more time to plan he agreed and sorted!

Driving to close to the left:  I tried to first get him to steer closer to the middle giving him a reference using the door mirrors, the kurb stone and the centre line. He doesd this and uses the reference. I confirm the dangers of driving to close also ask him why he does it, he responds by saying that he was scared by being hit by cars overtaking him as a result of driving slowly. I reinforce the point about driving with flow of traffic also bringing the dangers of driving to close to kurb such as someone stepping of. He accepts this but still carries on and apologises when i pick him up on it? Thought i had given him the correct analysis so  don't understand. I keep battling.

Hesitency; I ask him why so hesitent and he says he can't judge the speed of oncoming traffic. I give him the walk across the road and back which he accepts, but at roundabouts he doesn't accept it as he says he would have to jog across, i still help him out and discuss some more. On way back to test centre now, and still hesitant at roundabouts but junctions seem to be ok. Once parked up give him mini debrief and praise him for improving on these points, ask him if he has any questions and how he is feeling. He does say that he has learnt things (at least that's something!).

Next 15 minutes are the longest that i have to endure waiting for him..... discussions with my trainer and she gives me no hints at all. Still got that sinking feeling in my stomach as we watch him come across the car park towards us. He asks how i am feeling....Just get on with it!! Pleased to say that i have passed!!!!! OMG how?

Phase 1...... Mirrors fine, however the em stop brought it down to a 4, If i had done a bit more guiding whilst doing the actual attempt then the pupil would have learnt faster. Also don't avoid or put of questions (ABS) however i did answer it at the end of lesson so that was fine.

Phase 2...... Speed was sorted, Driving to the left, analysis was fine but because he had been doing it for a while he just needed reminding more often when entering new roads then he would have learnt quicker. (at least the analysis was there). The hesitency was sorted out of normal junctions but with the roundabouts i needed to get the pupil to look ahead as well as to the right so he could then plan better. Also when he mentioned he would have to jog and back between the gaps he was looking for me to adjust the walking reference to maybe something like, "if you have time to walk across to the middle then you should be safe to go"  Never the less over all he was happy with my performance and at the end of the day the pupil learnt things.

Thank you very much to my trainer who saw me through all of this and my buddy. Also the many personalities i have had to deal with on my training sessions with her!!!

Hope this helps

07-10-09 23:54:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Passed at last and FIRST ATTEMPT!!!!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 08-10-09 12:52:44

Janeway
Verified Member
Website

It was a pleasure to sit in on your test, you did us both proud! Well done  big_smile

ORDIT Registered ADI Trainer
Fleet Trainer
Grade 6
B.Ed
http://www.voyagerinstructortraining.com

#3 08-10-09 15:37:49

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

big_smile Well Done  big_smile
Enjoy ur new career  smile

#4 08-10-09 20:11:10

mani
Verified Member

Congratulations, look forward to your second half of the write up.

#5 09-10-09 18:17:28

benji

good stuff well dome great write up

#6 11-10-09 09:43:21

VIKING

I knew you'd do it first time. Well done mate!Just shows the benefit of a good trainer not to mention the money you save by getting it right first time.As far as the buddying goes I got as much off you as you did off me! Anyway, Cookings loss and Drivings gain!

#7 11-10-09 09:48:32

jay666
Website

Well done!! smile

Board footer