You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 06-10-09 18:39:06

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

Passed Part 3, first attempt 6/5.

Hi all ,

Just wanted to share my experiences after passing my part 3 today.

PST 3 - TITR - Junctions Left/Right.

Phase 1

Arrived at the test centre half an hour before test time and went for a stroll to compose my thoughts. Back into the waiting room around 10 minutes prior to test. Examiner came out right on time and asked me to sign the declaration - I glanced down and spotted it was to be PST 3.

Examiner asked me to get in passenger side and he would join me shortly. In he got, ran through the formalities and word picture which didn't give anything away. Recap Q's gave me an indication of things to come, namely, shuffle steering and poor clutch control. We got underway, first junction out of TC and he's shuffling the wheel and holding clutch below bite. Jumped on it straight away before we had chance to complete emerge, at next junction forced him verbally to do big steers and hold clutch higher on the bite, education given and now he's playing ball all the way to site.
At site, delivered briefing, not my best, but whatever I missed I covered during practice. We completed 3 successful TITR's, setting 4 reference points for the manouvere and I must have said "keep your feet still" 20 to 30 times over the course of the 3 attempts we had. He tried to mess me about by only releasing the parking brake by 1 click, not checking his right shoulder blind spot when moving off, Not looking over his left shoulder when reversing and shuffled steering came back.
Afterwards in de-brief he explained that although I was telling him to do things, I made sure I was looking at him so he was forced to do them, otherwise he would have played me up a lot more. He said I controlled him, and when he did throw in a fault, I was right on it from the get go.
Before I knew it, end of phase 1.

Phase 2

The examiner came out of role and explained I could take a couple of minutes to gather my thoughts, have a drink of water and stretch my legs. Back in the car and given word picture, pupil at test standard, instructor off on holiday, I'm filling in. Today were covering junctions turning left/right. Q@A revealed issue with judgement crossing path of vehicles (walk across, drive across) and where to position vehicle to turn right (ie no reference point).
Off we go, first right turn I stop him and set both positional reference points for right turns "ahaa their handy" he says. Prompted practice for the rest of phase in these areas (WWH).
Now he's mistiming his signals, way too early, I,A,R first time, turns out he knew why he shouldn't signal early, but didn't understand consequences, core comped and got him independent within a few more turns on this one.
Now he's coasting, caught it first time, core comping revealed a knowledge gap, guided instruction given, and got him to prompts by end of phase. He told me in debrief that he liked the "where should you left foot be" prompt after changing down to 2nd gear.
Now he's flying into left turns way too fast, WWH'd which revealed another knowledge gap, he struggled judging the vehicles speed and needed some framework to work with. My remedy "I want you down to second gear, at 10 mph with your left foot on the floor before you start turning, any variation to this and I will let know in plenty of time", he played ball, and got him to prompts by the end of phase. Finally were turning right and he starts to go in front of oncoming traffic "WAIT!!", i catch him just as his hands start to turn the wheel. Core comped which revealed issue with judging a safe gap, remedied with walk across, drive across rule. Got him independent by end of phase.

Back at the TC, I asked what he's learnt, "them reference points are great and now I know how to turn right safely without just doing my best to guess it", the examiner at this point comes out of role and tells me he'll be 15 minutes and I should get in the drivers seat. I honestly thought I'd failed. My guess was a 3/3.
Examiner returns to vehicle, I was calm, I was resigned to failing, although I didn't give up during the whole test, I didn't think I'd done enough. "I'm pleased to tell you that you've reached the required standard and have passed", both my hands covered my face and I rested my head on the steering whilst inhaling and exhaling the most amount of air I've ever breathed in my life!

During the de-brief he said he could see I was working incredibly hard and, as I said earlier, during phase 1, he knew who was boss and it wasn't him. He complimented me on the use of "keep you feet still" and explained the effectiveness of this instruction.

On phase two whilst on route back to the test centre he said he was wide on one left turn (the only left turn on the way back thank goodness), otherwise, he said he would have continued to play this one up. I didn't spot this one. Also he said had I been more proactive when he went to turn in front of oncoming traffic he'd have played ball, as it happened I stopped him as soon as his hands went to turn the wheel.

The examiner explained that phase 1 was a well earned 6, and if I'd spotted the left turn road position and been more proactive on the dangerous right turn, where I stopped him just as he moved his hands to turn, then I would have got a 6 for phase 2 as well.

Overall result a 6/5.

I want to take this opportunity to thank Blaine Walsh for the outstanding video's, without which, I could never have made it successfully over the finish line, the guy is a genious. Also all my fellow posters for their support in particular Kevin Beecham, a fountain of knowledge.
I hope my write-up will be of benefit to other PDI's, just like other write-ups have benefited me.
I would like to wish each and everyone of you who have a part 3 coming up all my best wishes.

Chris

http://chriseddydrivertuition.yolasite.com/

DSA ADI operating in Gateshead, Tyne & Wear and surrounding areas.

06-10-09 18:39:06

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Passed Part 3, first attempt 6/5.

#2 06-10-09 19:03:09

Luchell
Verified Member

What a result!! Well done

#3 06-10-09 19:16:48

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Well done big_smile big_smile big_smile

I wish you the best of luck for your future as an ADI.  big_smile big_smile big_smile

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

#4 06-10-09 19:23:04

ceecee
Verified Member

Well done  big_smile big_smile
Good luck for the future

ADI Part 1 passed: 28/03/2008
ADI Part 2 passed: 03/07/2008
ADI Part 3 failed: 28/07/2009
ADI Part 3 failed: 30/09/2009
ADI Part 3 passed:07/10/2009

#5 06-10-09 19:46:48

john55
Verified Member

Wow 6-5. What a cracking result. Cracking write-up too. Congratulations and good luck in your new career.  smile

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

#6 06-10-09 20:00:53

mattlilley
Verified Member
Website

Blinding result Eddlad. Wish you all the luck for your future.

Well done!!

M

Part 1. Passed 16/4/08
Part 2. Passed 16/5/08
Part 3. Failed 1st attempt 17/3/09
Part 3. 2nd attempt Passed 01/05/09
1st Check Test Grade 6 31/3/10

#7 06-10-09 20:18:03

jay666
Website

Well done. Excellent result. Feels good to be an ADI doesn't it smile smile smile

#8 06-10-09 21:05:02

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Well done mate!!  smile smile

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#9 06-10-09 21:05:39

Disky
Verified Member
Website

nice one  smile

#10 06-10-09 21:14:19

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

What a superb result. 6 5. That is fantastic.

Well done you.

All the best in your future career as an ADI.

I hope to be joining you one day.

Best wishes

Jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

#11 06-10-09 21:21:35

mon
Verified Member
Website

Well done to you,back to living again for you......

From Striving to Driving.....Lurgan Co.Armagh

#12 06-10-09 21:53:39

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

big_smile Well Done!!!!

#13 07-10-09 06:37:34

Trumper
Verified Member

Great result.  big_smile

O.R.D.I.T. Dip D.I
Fleet reg
A.D.I  Car manual
Cardington A , D.I.A Special test, R.O.S.P.A , I.A.M

#14 07-10-09 07:33:32

DampDog
Verified Member

Very well done and a nice write up..

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#15 07-10-09 08:34:18

benji

well done

#16 07-10-09 20:52:46

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

Hi guys,

Thank you all so much for your kind words. This forum has been invaluable to me since I discovered it. My very best wishes to all PDI's who are about to take their part 3 test   smile

#17 07-10-09 21:56:15

apples69

Hi Chris, congratulations and all the best for the future!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just starting on learning part 1, so long way to go yet........

how long did it take to you pass from start to finish and how many hours did you do for part 3?

whats Blaine Walsh username on this forum?

cheers m8

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#18 08-10-09 12:13:54

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

Hi Chris, congratulations and all the best for the future!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just starting on learning part 1, so long way to go yet........

how long did it take to you pass from start to finish and how many hours did you do for part 3?

whats Blaine Walsh username on this forum?

cheers m8

Hi Apples,

I started training in August 2008,and completed 40 hours Part 3 training and an additional 20 hours which is a requirement of the pink licence. So 60 hours in total.
Blaine Walsh is an ADI Trainer and has a fantatic website and forum. If you google his name it comes straight up, his website helped me greatly, not sure if I could have passed part 3 without it.

#19 08-10-09 16:00:52

giggles184
Verified Member

Well done Chris! Massive congrats thats a great result!

Hopefully sometime soon i shall be joining! Taking my part 3 training now, im also using the Blaine Walsh videos and they are EXCELLENT so worth the money! See least this way i can fulfill my need to sit and take notes in the "lesson" LOL!

ADI part 1 - passed 1st attempt 11/5/09 97/63
ADI part 2 - passed 1st attempt 03/09/09 - 1 minor big_smile
ADI part 3........... start training 27/9/09 then we shall see!

#20 08-10-09 19:02:28

apples69

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info, awesome you passed 1st time, hope I do too!

For the part 3, you say you did 40hrs training, how many hours a week did you do - 2hr per or more, just wanted to know how long it took to do your 40hrs of training?

do you use blaine walsh videos for the part 3 test?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#21 09-10-09 10:50:42

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

Hi Chris,

For the part 3, you say you did 40hrs training, how many hours a week did you do - 2hr per or more, just wanted to know how long it took to do your 40hrs of training?

Hi Apples,

I did my all 40 hours in one week with TIC, I wouldn't recommend it. After that, over the following 2 months, I then did an additional 20 hours training whilst on a pink licence.
I spent around 100 hours studying the Blaine Walsh videos, reading forums like this and did some buddying as well. Whilst on a pink licence I tried to get the most from every lesson by perfecting all of the instructional techniques required to pass part 3.
Be under no illusions, the amount of work involved is huge, but the reward at the end of it is worth it  big_smile

Chris

#22 11-10-09 21:31:44

apples69

apples69 wrote:

Hi Chris,

Hi Apples,

I did my all 40 hours in one week with TIC, I wouldn't recommend it. After that, over the following 2 months, I then did an additional 20 hours training whilst on a pink licence.
I spent around 100 hours studying the Blaine Walsh videos, reading forums like this and did some buddying as well. Whilst on a pink licence I tried to get the most from every lesson by perfecting all of the instructional techniques required to pass part 3.
Be under no illusions, the amount of work involved is huge, but the reward at the end of it is worth it  big_smile

Chris

Hi Chris,

40hrs in one week for the part 3, how did you manage that?

can you get the blaine walsh videos on dvd, how much do you think they helped?

#23 12-10-09 07:40:13

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

You can subscribe to Blaine's vids here http://aditraining.tv/Frames/Frame.asp? … task=&ref=

You can pay monthly or buy a 3 or 6  month block at a discount.

You then get a password and username and can watch all the vids on line.
They are well worth it.
Cheers

Jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

Board footer