You are not logged in.

#1 26-09-09 07:49:20

casper

pt 1 theory tip

This is what worked for me, hope it may help others.

Instead of just trying to memorise dsa question bank, which i found extremely dull this is what i did.

1 read highway code and learn it.

2 read driving the essential skills. I learnt a lot from this as driving techniques have changed a lot since i first learnt 27 years ago

3 read  question bank and try to answer questions before reading answers. A lot of the questions deal with topics that apply to teaching so you will not find answers in highway code

4 this is what i did and found worked for me instead of just reading publications, using driving test success all tests software, don't know how others work but basing this on them being similar.
To get my basic highway code knowledge up to speed i took around 60 tests set for learner drivers, until i rgularly achieved 100%. the questions here differ greatly from adi tests but ensured that i had learnt the highway code.
Then i set software for adi questions and took around 80 moch theory tests until i regularly hit between 97-100%. This helped because unlike the question bank the answers to the questions can be worded differently from one time of seeing them to another, so no suprise at time of exam when the answer was not set out exactly the same as question bank. Then i just reviewed the questions i got wrong initially, mainly teaching techniques in my case, set the software to bring these qestions up reglarly until i had them right. 98% on test in 20 mins so it did work for me.

Hope tis is understandable, and if it helps 1 person i will be pleased. Don,t ask for tips on hpt i hated every second of practice and got a very dissapointing 60 when i regularly got more than that in practice. good luck

Just want to clarify that this helped me with the theory test, but i did spend a great deal of time reading both the highway code and driving the essential skills to get my knowledge up to date, i did not just learn by rote

pt1 pass 1st time 98% 60 23/9/09
pt2 passed 2nd time 6faults 9/3/10
pt3 passed 3rd time 4/4 jan 2011

26-09-09 07:49:20

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: pt 1 theory tip

#2 27-09-09 19:29:45

apples69

good advice, how long did it take you to pass part 1?

#3 29-09-09 17:16:30

casper

Hi apples, all in all i was in test centrre for less than an hour. Practice wise i spent over 20 hours in front of the computer plus the time spent reading the highway code, qeestion bank once, before using method in my tip, and driving the essential skills, total probably 40 hrs plus. All fitted in around a 50 hour working week and normal life things, worth it though because i felt less nervous on day of test cos i knew i had put in the effort.

#4 29-09-09 17:35:02

apples69

hi casper, great advice!

how many hours each week did you on part 1 before the test?

#5 29-09-09 17:36:36

apples69

how do you set up the focus dvd to bring up the questions regulary that you get wrong?

#6 29-09-09 17:56:10

casper

Hi apples, not sure how focus software works so cant really answer that, all ican say is see if there is a custom setting, if there is you should be able to set question level ect in there.
As for practice, with all other commitments time was sometimes short, so it was every spare minute really.
During limited time to practice concentrate on one subject, trying to learn one topic by doing it regularly over short periods sometimes helps it sink in, rather than reading the same thing over and over.
Only do hazard percep when you have got the time to make a difference each session and read why it was a hazard in the review to get a better idea how it works. Like i said i hated every minute of hp but practice is the only way to pass.
Hope this helps smile

Board footer