You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 25-09-09 19:36:46

abrocky
Verified Member
Website

Fleet training info - newbie

Have a few questona, as looking into taking a fleet course soon - potentially have a large company that may be interested in using me on condition i pass a fleet course (someone i know got me a meeting with the directors, and i told them about the fleet courses, and they now want me if i pass for helping them out with wat is required for their health safety n the manslaughter act.).

i want to know as much as i can, when looking into choosing a fleet training company so i know i'm getting the best possible training.

when i pass:

what is the normal rates that we should charge to a client per day? dont wanna under cut.
how many people to a car do you train or clients car? how much does that effect rates?

for how long do you let drivers perform an assessment drive?

When training employees of the clients, do they taske any tests with the DSA or similar?
do u perform mocktests, i.e hazard perception and theory? 

Do you issue a certifucate to the company that they have completed a course etc?

Any other advice that you can offer?

25-09-09 19:36:46

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Fleet training info - newbie

#2 26-09-09 06:03:38

ExAdiNigel

Personally I would highly recommend the RoSPA Diploma.

I would suggest that you could be charging up to £350 per day, but don't expect that from every client.

Most of the training I have done for fleet clients is half or full day.  Occasionally I have done 2 hour assessments but these are rare and, unless there is going to be a follow-up session, fairly useless.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 26-09-09 08:44:52

Disky
Verified Member
Website

To reinforce Nigels comments above, £350 is great but is quite rare as he says.

Once an assessment has been completed and has identified areas of required improvement the company is required by law to action this, failure to do so is an offence. In Scotland Corporate Homocide now states "guilty until proven innocent"

For fleet, most companies sadly do not know or understand the requirements they have for the safety of their employees. It's all about education.

#4 26-09-09 18:13:50

fatcat
Verified Member
Website

So Alex does this mean you wont be doing your 5 hours for £50 rubbish then?

i need more cash not more work

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 26-09-09 21:03:10

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

(someone i know got me a meeting with the directors, and i told them about the fleet courses, and they now want me if i pass for helping them out with what is required for their health safety n the manslaughter act.).

Hi

I'm interested in what sort of info you gave them and from what source, I work for a large multinational soft drinks company as an LGV driver, at this moment I am looking into put together a presentation based on SAFED and Fleet to try persuede them to look into a fulltime trainer/assessor(ME).

My company is now kicking in bigtime to Corporate responsibility and sustainability(CRS) and i feel this is a good time to "get them", if anyone has links or information I could use, please post or PM me

AL

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#6 28-09-09 06:14:06

ExAdiNigel

There is a fair bit of marketing documents on the SAFED site and the other useful document is the 'Driving For Work' document on the HSE web site (free download).  Both of which you are probably aware of.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#7 28-09-09 10:36:35

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

hi Nigel

yea, have loads of info material, its just trying to put them together to make the "ultimate" presentation to sell fleet work.

another good site with free downloads(and hard copies) is http://www.freightbestpractice.org.uk/

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#8 28-09-09 16:25:17

abrocky
Verified Member
Website

thanks all for the response. will certainly look into the diploma, but think i will be taking a course provided by the lancashire county council (DSA approved), to get onto the register this way.  However will look into the rospa and safed training at a later date.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 29-09-09 23:04:38

ralge
Verified Member

Have a few questona, as looking into taking a fleet course soon - potentially have a large company that may be interested in using me on condition i pass a fleet course (someone i know got me a meeting with the directors, and i told them about the fleet courses, and they now want me if i pass for helping them out with wat is required for their health safety n the manslaughter act.)
i want to know as much as i can, when looking into choosing a fleet training company so i know i'm getting the best possible training.
when i pass:
what is the normal rates that we should charge to a client per day? dont wanna under cut.
how many people to a car do you train or clients car? how much does that effect rates?
for how long do you let drivers perform an assessment drive?
When training employees of the clients, do they taske any tests with the DSA or similar?
do u perform mocktests, i.e hazard perception and theory? 
Do you issue a certifucate to the company that they have completed a course etc?
Any other advice that you can offer?

As an aside, how on earth does anyone get to be lucky enough to speak to a prospective client for fleet driver training who is prepared to wait until you get qualified??

Company drivers have no involvement with the DSA in my experience.  The only "mock testing" and "testing" I have been involved with on the fleet side is where I coach drivers in preparation of them taking a RoSPA Gold test.
Generally, though, fleet driver training is sold as training NOT as a test - qualified drivers soon get turned off by the word "test" - so there is no fail or pass, only driver assessments, training and development. (That doesn't stop you writing a damning report every now and again, though.)
I echo others' comments, don't undersell yourself once you are qualified.  Absorb every last tip/technique/bon mot from every last trainer you meet along the way to give you the nuggets to pass on to the fleet driver.
Training is done mostly in the delegate's own vehicle. In the rare event of using your own, charge extra.
On occasions, the client may specify that there should be a theory element to the training - I love doing theory workshops to 12-14 delegates before taking them out on the road.  This is a great opportunity to relate to them and whet their appetite for on-road training. 

Assessment drives can be quite short - on occasions, I size the driver up and begin to coach virtually as soon as we have left the carpark.  At other times, the paymaster insists on a time-defined stumm assessment before stopping and reviewing.

At the end, allow the driver to give you some written feedback, write an individual driver risk assessment / driver development report (what you saw, what you coached and what you left with the driver to continue working on) and issue a certificate of "successful course completion."

DSA Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Dip, PTLLS, Safed for Vans, NDAC/Speed Awareness on-road trainer, RoSPA RoAD Test Examiner.

Board footer