You are not logged in.

#1 21-09-09 15:38:41

VandADI
Administrator

CLOCK FACE OR POKER FACE

I thought this would be a good topic for PDIs as I have just read  another thread about different methods we use to describe to a pupil how much to steer on the steering wheel.

We all know it is not acceptable to say " just steer a bit to the left/right".
So what is acceptable?
Some say to describe the steering wheel as a clock face, and steer in increments of 5 mins to left/right.
What other methods could be used to describe how much to steer?

21-09-09 15:38:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: CLOCK FACE OR POKER FACE

#2 21-09-09 16:55:56

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

My car is a Yaris, and the steering wheel has a T shape in the middle, so I often use 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn, 3/4 turn, full turn and full lock.  As my pupils can feel the 3 points of the 'T' they know where the wheel is without looking at it.  It works great while they are learning something like a left reverse, just to give them a guide until they get a feel for it themselves.

And yes, i am aware that once they pass their test they will probably get a car with a different steering wheel.  But lets be fair.... how many left reverses are they guna do once they are passed anyways :-p

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 22-09-09 08:14:29

jay666
Website

I am not sure on this one as from what i have heard some examiners like it and some dont. I used 5 mins to the right during my training and as soon as i said it my trainer was undoing his watch so he could check with the steering wheel that he was actually steering 5mins so now i try not to use it.

#4 22-09-09 08:51:40

driver69

Does it matter what method as long you confirm that they understand what is meant? I use 1/2 1/4 etc and sometimes 5 mins,10mins but I always get them to show me what they think that means.  I have also used a little left/right if the pupil has used those terms themselves and their little is the same as my little if you know what I mean  neutral

#5 22-09-09 09:43:35

colin166
Verified Member

Most of you have probably read what happened to me on my write up of my part 3 test on PST 2 moving off and stopping with regards to how much to steer.
I actually prefer the clock face method but when I tried to consolidate it with the SE in my briefing he said "thats a bit complicated isn't it?" and under the pressure of test I didn't pick up on the fact that he was going to play me up on that and steer all over the place.
He eventually showed me while stationary how much he thought he should steer and asked "can I just do it like that?" and when I said yes OK he ended the phase 1 and there was my lifeline.
My advice to a PDI if they get that test is when you arrive at the site and he tells you to pull up here you should say to the SE/pupil "look how little I have to steer to get the car to a parking position".
And if you use the clock face to reference how much to steer take note of whether he seems to like it or not!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 22-09-09 12:07:42

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

We all know it is not acceptable to say " just steer a bit to the left/right".

Do we? Is it not? Says who?  big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

Surely the phraseology is not important, so long as the pupil understands the parameters.

Any phraseology is acceptable if the pupil understands it, isn't it? Same as any phraseology that the pupil doesn't understand then becomes unacceptable, doesn't it?

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#7 22-09-09 13:06:20

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

I agree with the above threads in that so long as the instructions given are specific and the pupil find it easy to work with that method of direction then job done.
If the SE or pupil states that they find a suggested method confusing then you need to be flexible and find a method that suits their learning style.

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

Board footer